Onkyo AVR owners thread

Is anyone here using the new 2014 AVR models?
I would like to know about the pros/cons of AccuEq as opposed to Audessey.
I'm about to buy an Onkyo TX737 which doesn't have Audessey so is it a deal breaker?

Otherwise I can also go for Marantz SR6009 but I'm afraid to go for it due to service issues.
SR6009 doesn't have Dolby Atmos but I don't think that I'm going to utilize it anyway.

I don't have hands on experience with Accu EQ, but Audyssey Yes... I own 2012 model Onkyo AVR TX NR 818.. It has Audyssey XT32 digital room correction.. When calibrated fully, i was/am impressed with its results...

Try to take a demo of AVR with Accu EQ & Audyssey before you freeze on any brand...

FYI - Denon & Marantz are the only brands with Audyssey room correction now...

Is anyone here using the new 2014 AVR models?
I would like to know about the pros/cons of AccuEq as opposed to Audessey.
I'm about to buy an Onkyo TX737 which doesn't have Audessey so is it a deal breaker?

Otherwise I can also go for Marantz SR6009 but I'm afraid to go for it due to service issues.
SR6009 doesn't have Dolby Atmos but I don't think that I'm going to utilize it anyway.

I somehow feel ONKYO TXNR-737 is a rip off. See if you can get the older model TXNR-727.
Besides the upscaling I felt 727 was a better deal and you will get it for a much lesser cost as well.

Onkyo TX-NR727 vs TX-NR737 - AV Receivers Comparison

727 has the basic
Audyssey MultEQ for Room Acoustic Correction
Audyssey DSX and Dolby Pro Logic IIz Upmixing for Seven-Channel Surround Sound.

Not sure how much of a difference "Dolby Atoms Ready" would make, which the 737 has.

HI EVERYONE,
NICE TO C ONKYO THREAD,

i have recently upgraded my ht setup with ONKYO PROCESSOR PR-SC886 to join my ROTEL rmb 1095 200 x 5 channel power.

i am really excited and felt very happy with the ht performance with the pr-sc886, which i did not expect.

my setup includes
PANASONIC PLASMA 46"
POINEER BDP 140
ONKYO PRSC886
ROTEL RMB 1095
ROTEL RB 1582
B&W 683 2PAIRS FRONT / SURROUND
CENTER: B&W CC6S2

REGARDS,
P. RAMESH

Last edited:
I somehow feel ONKYO TXNR-737 is a rip off. See if you can get the older model TXNR-727.
Besides the upscaling I felt 727 was a better deal and you will get it for a much lesser cost as well.

Onkyo TX-NR727 vs TX-NR737 - AV Receivers Comparison

727 has the basic
Audyssey MultEQ for Room Acoustic Correction
Audyssey DSX and Dolby Pro Logic IIz Upmixing for Seven-Channel Surround Sound.

Not sure how much of a difference "Dolby Atoms Ready" would make, which the 737 has.

Dolby Atmos will not make a difference to me but I have another doubt that the DTS decoder on the 737 is only DTS HD MA so does that mean that it'll not be able to decode any other DTS formats??
Same for Dolby, it has Atmos, TruHD, DD Plus and PLIIz, what about decoding other Dolby formats?
Is this like backwards compatible?

One other thing is about the hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 compatibility.
Does it offer complete compatibility with the 18gbps hdmi 2.0?

Guys, what exactly do the various "listening modes" do?

For example, my AVR has different modes for music like Stereo, Direct, Pure Audio, Dolby Surround, THX, etc.
I am using Direct for music for now because when I use stereo the bass becomes boomy but in Direct mode the bass punch is less.

For movies also I'm using Direct mode and the results are very good.

Guys, what exactly do the various "listening modes" do?

For example, my AVR has different modes for music like Stereo, Direct, Pure Audio, Dolby Surround, THX, etc.
I am using Direct for music for now because when I use stereo the bass becomes boomy but in Direct mode the bass punch is less.

For movies also I'm using Direct mode and the results are very good.

Pure Audio mode shuts off all the Analogue circuitry on the AVR...When used with stereo & watching movies , treats the fronts as "LARGE"...No bass management is applied...

Direct Mode - same as pure direct, but all circuitry is on...

Stereo - if you have set any crossover for your fronts, they are applied...Is your Sub active when you play on this mode?

Dolby surround & THX are used with movies.....

Pure Audio mode shuts off all the Analogue circuitry on the AVR...When used with stereo & watching movies , treats the fronts as "LARGE"...No bass management is applied...

Stereo - if you have set any crossover for your fronts, they are applied...Is your Sub active when you play on this mode?

Dolby surround & THX are used with movies.....

Yes, the sub is active when I put in the Stereo mode but the bass becomes boomy.
Music sounds good with Direct/Pure Audio but usually the sub is off.

Yes, the sub is active when I put in the Stereo mode but the bass becomes boomy.
Music sounds good with Direct/Pure Audio but usually the sub is off.

What is you crossover in the AVR? May be it is set too high...

When i listen to stereo, it is also "Pure Audio" mode...

When Pure Audio mode is engaged for stereo listening, your front speakers are treated as "LARGE" and no signal will be sent to sub-woofer...

When you engage Pure audio when watching movies, all 5/7 speakers are treated as "LARGE"..Again no crossover is applied but sub-woofer is active here because it is 5.1 content...

What is you crossover in the AVR? May be it is set too high...

When i listen to stereo, it is also "Pure Audio" mode...

When Pure Audio mode is engaged for stereo listening, your front speakers are treated as "LARGE" and no signal will be sent to sub-woofer...

When you engage Pure audio when watching movies, all 5/7 speakers are treated as "LARGE"..Again no crossover is applied but sub-woofer is active here because it is 5.1 content...

That's good info.
Crossover for the fronts is 100, I'll reduce it in steps to see the difference once I'm at home.

brought Onkyo's TX-NR636 a/v receiver recently and now looking for a 5.1 speaker set up for the same. Will share the review once i finalize on the speakers :)

I am using Direct for music for now because when I use stereo the bass becomes boomy but in Direct mode the bass punch is less...

Guys,

When you use Direct / Pure direct mode for music is there not a dip in the output volume as compared to other Music Modes ?

I tried it once, the music sounded a bit bland, unless I turned up the volume.
As a result of this switched back to Stereo.

Guess I have to go and try some more tests with this mode. I guess it would depend on the speakers being driven as well.

:eek:

Guys,

When you use Direct / Pure direct mode for music is there not a dip in the output volume as compared to other Music Modes ?

Guess I have to go and try some more tests with this mode. I guess it would depend on the speakers being driven as well.

I think the dip in volume that you are experiencing is due to the sub turning off.
Bass management is not present in Direct/Pure Audio as explained by elangoas.

I tried lowering the crossovers for my fronts but I think it is same as using Pure Audio mode because the crossovers will be bypassed anyway.

brought Onkyo's TX-NR636 a/v receiver recently and now looking for a 5.1 speaker set up for the same. Will share the review once i finalize on the speakers :)

Congrats on your new AVR.. For how much did you buy it ?

Guys,

Yes your observation is right... You need to push the AVR volume to enjoy in Pure direct mode.. The AVR plays music as close to the source material without any additional processing....

BTW what AVR and speakers do you have ?

I think the dip in volume that you are experiencing is due to the sub turning off.
Bass management is not present in Direct/Pure Audio as explained by elangoas.

I tried lowering the crossovers for my fronts but I think it is same as using Pure Audio mode because the crossovers will be bypassed anyway.

I hope you meant "Stereo mode" sounds the same as "Pure Audio" after reducing the crossover in the AVR....

Yes your observation is right... You need to push the AVR volume to enjoy in Pure direct mode.. The AVR plays music as close to the source material without any additional processing....

AVR - Onkyo TXNR727
Front towers - Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (they are pretty old , I guess V1 ). 3 way 8ohms.

AVR - Onkyo TXNR727
Front towers - Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (they are pretty old , I guess V1 ). 3 way 8ohms.

Great.... I too have similar pairing, but with Sonus 2605 v2... I listen to stereo on AVR in "Pure Audio" mode engaged.....

My AVR min Vol is "0" and max Vol is "99", @ between 50 - 60 on the dial, they sound juz right to my listening....

Congrats on your new AVR.. For how much did you buy it ?

I hope you meant "Stereo mode" sounds the same as "Pure Audio" after reducing the crossover in the AVR....
Yes, I meant the same.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back