Onkyo AVR owners thread

Hi I bought an ONKYO TX-NR828 couple of months back. I have been using the THX Cinema Setting for watching both Movies and Serials from my Sony BD Player and my LG Media Player. Any setting suggestions for improved audio experience? some of the serials seem to have low audio track levels so have to crank up the volume when using the LG Media Player.So far no problems with the remote. Have setup the system using the Audyssey MultiEQ after switching back and forth with my own settings with a dB meter. Somehow I seem to find the THX crossover setting which equalizes all channels at 80Hz to be somehow better than the Audyssey multiEQ calibration (mine is Fronts 40Hz, Center 70 Hz and Surrounds 120Hz). Your thoughts?

Congratulations on your purchase.

Run the Audyssey setup. After saving the setup change the crossovers for fronts & center to 80Hz and surrounds to 100Hz or 80Hz. You might want to increase the center level to +4db for dialog clarity.

You may also set Dynamic Volume to "medium" and hear the difference when using surround modes.

Hope that helps.

BTW is anyone using the DLNA or Home Media options successfully?

I have been using DLNA and network radio (not the inbuilt ones).

For DLNA, if you have a android mobile then playing songs on the device is simplest using Onkyo app on playstore. It acts as a DMC. On selection of the playlist/song/album the AVR automatically switches to NET-DLNA mode and starts playing the song. But the onkyo app is not too good when it comes to select folders in a hierarchy (instead of individual songs/playlists etc).

Other android option I use is n7player with toaster cast. This however needs the AVR to be in NET > DLNA mode before one starts casting. n7 player has better support for song selection and supports casting using toaster cast. It has folder selection as well but is free only for limited period. There are other options as well and they do work but I have a feeling there is shortage of free apps which are great DMCs.

For network radio I had googled for network radio stations and I listen mostly to 192kbps stations. Anything with lower quality sounds bad and anything higher is rare especially for hindi songs.
Upto 50 links of these stations can be add to favorites (on the AVR directly under NET->My favorites). The AVRs web interface can be accessed using its ip address to add/manage the favorites directly using a browser without fiddling with the AVR remote.

I have been using DLNA and network radio (not the inbuilt ones).

For DLNA, if you have a android mobile then playing songs on the device is simplest using Onkyo app on playstore. It acts as a DMC. On selection of the playlist/song/album the AVR automatically switches to NET-DLNA mode and starts playing the song. But the onkyo app is not too good when it comes to select folders in a hierarchy (instead of individual songs/playlists etc).

Other android option I use is n7player with toaster cast. This however needs the AVR to be in NET > DLNA mode before one starts casting. n7 player has better support for song selection and supports casting using toaster cast. It has folder selection as well but is free only for limited period. There are other options as well and they do work but I have a feeling there is shortage of free apps which are great DMCs.

For network radio I had googled for network radio stations and I listen mostly to 192kbps stations. Anything with lower quality sounds bad and anything higher is rare especially for hindi songs.
Upto 50 links of these stations can be add to favorites (on the AVR directly under NET->My favorites). The AVRs web interface can be accessed using its ip address to add/manage the favorites directly using a browser without fiddling with the AVR remote.

But what about wireless streaming from PC?
Can I get something like Plex or Universal Media Server to work?

Congratulations on your purchase.

Run the Audyssey setup. After saving the setup change the crossovers for fronts & center to 80Hz and surrounds to 100Hz or 80Hz. You might want to increase the center level to +4db for dialog clarity.

You may also set Dynamic Volume to "medium" and hear the difference when using surround modes.

Hope that helps.

Thanks I will do that.

But what about wireless streaming from PC?
Can I get something like Plex or Universal Media Server to work?

AFAIK video streaming is not possible to AVR (at least 609) if you are looking for that. Any DLNA/UnPP server works for audio. You will have to use AVR remote and display/TV for better browsing experience although the AVR display also can be used.
Windows media player also can "play to" the AVR but when I tried playing flacs I saw that the bit rates were lower for same song than what I saw while playing from USB/ streamed through Andriod apps. But I may have been mistaken I switched to android apps as keeping my power hungry laptop on just to listen to songs doesn't make sense anyways.

By setting to LPCM in PS4, AVR shows Multichannel (when I press the Display button).
But I think in both cases the output will be the uncompressed one.

I see DTS-HD MSTR when i play on PS4, you have to select Bitstream(Direct) by hitting option when movie is going on and changing the setting there.

I see DTS-HD MSTR when i play on PS4, you have to select Bitstream(Direct) by hitting option when movie is going on and changing the setting there.
No, actually the discussion was about games where mostly we get simple Dolby digital or DTS.
In movies Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA, etc is visible.

But where is the Bitstream (direct) option?
I can see Bitstream (dolby) and Bitstream (dts).

Last edited:
No, actually the discussion was about games where mostly we get simple Dolby digital or DTS.
In movies Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA, etc is visible.

But where is the Bitstream (direct) option?
I can see Bitstream (dolby) and Bitstream (dts).

Well found this info on another forum thought it would be helpful.

In the main Sound options (from the XMB) leave the audio option set to linear PCM then start a blu-ray hit the options button and go to settings then go to audio formats and select Bitstream (Direct). There you go, you get your passthrough and the AVR does the decoding.

Guys my Onkyo tx-nr737 is never able to find any dlna server running on laptop.
It always says No Server.
My ps3 can see and run files from the same servers (Universal Media Server, Plex).
In the Home Media section also it says No Server.
I can use the onkyo android app to play music from my phone wirelessly.
However the same is not possible to do with my laptop running Vista and the above mentioned servers.

I have query: I have set up a 7.1 system with Fronts, Center, Surround, Sub and Front High on my NR 828. If I run a Pre-out from the optional terminals, can I use it to connect to an external amp to run a Front Wide simultaneously with the Front High in the AVR power out put connection?

Hi all

My Onkyo NR 905 gave up last month. The front left speaker gives cracking sound and amp trips off. Chennai onkyo authorised service refuse to service the product as it was imported. Can some one share some reliable service center contact for AVR in chennai.

Thanks

I have query: I have set up a 7.1 system with Fronts, Center, Surround, Sub and Front High on my NR 828. If I run a Pre-out from the optional terminals, can I use it to connect to an external amp to run a Front Wide simultaneously with the Front High in the AVR power out put connection?

Your AVR has 7.2 pre-outs only... So you can use either Front height/Front wide/Surround back only... You can't run both front height & wide as your pre-outs is limited to 7.2 only...

Hi all

My Onkyo NR 905 gave up last month. The front left speaker gives cracking sound and amp trips off. Chennai onkyo authorised service refuse to service the product as it was imported. Can some one share some reliable service center contact for AVR in chennai.

Thanks

Very recently an other FM faced the same issue.... Anyways try to get in touch with Syed in Philips Arena(Mount Road) and see if you can get some help....

Your AVR has 7.2 pre-outs only... So you can use either Front height/Front wide/Surround back only... You can't run both front height & wide as your pre-outs is limited to 7.2 only...

Very recently an other FM faced the same issue.... Anyways try to get in touch with Syed in Philips Arena(Mount Road) and see if you can get some help....

OK Thanks.

(Very recently an other FM faced the same issue.... Anyways try to get in touch with Syed in Philips Arena(Mount Road) and see if you can get some help....)[/QUOTE]

Can you direct me to the discussion from other forum memner, i wish to contact and know how he sorted out

Thanks

Last edited:
Can you direct me to the discussion from other forum memner, i wish to contact and know how he sorted out

Thanks

What i meant was, an other FM too had bought his AVR abroad.. When he found fault with AVR, Onkyo India refused to service him... Btw he was from bangalore.. He is yet to find a local technician who can service his product..

I've a TX-SR601 since 2002 (if I remember the year properly).

I do not use it much now, occasionally with movies maybe. Some times it trips when it is in high volume and there is some scene with high bass booming sound. If I remember it had a feature to save the speakers from overload and thus trips, but it never used to trip before.

I've a TX-SR601 since 2002 (if I remember the year properly).

I do not use it much now, occasionally with movies maybe. Some times it trips when it is in high volume and there is some scene with high bass booming sound. If I remember it had a feature to save the speakers from overload and thus trips, but it never used to trip before.

What is impedance the AVR can handle & what speakers are using with them?

Guys,

How does Onkyo pairs up with Wharfedales ?
Thinking of the following option:
Onkyo 636(already in place)+Diamond 122(bs)+Diamond Sw150+10CS(center).

Not yet decided on surround.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back