Onkyo AVR owners thread

any suggestions ?

Don't Know about Wharfedales but I have an ONKYO TX-NR828 that is hooked up to JBL speakers and it is a nice fit. I have seen also Polk RTis offered in combo with ONKYO TX-NR828. Since JBL, Polks and Wharfs are comparable in performance and price, By simple correlation one can deduce that the Diamonds will go very well with the your 636. or atleast will not sound bad :)

any suggestions ?

I have heard an Onkyo stereo amplifier pair up with Wharfedale diamond 9.5 speakers... It sounded good to my ears....

With Onkyo's clean sounding AVR's, wharfedale would be a good match in my opinion...

Try to take a demo at-least in any FM home for sometime and take your shot..

Hi Guys i m using Onkyo from last 4 years till now no problem
The model is TxSr=608 7.2Channel with Jamo Speakers
Sound is Great

Hey All,
Just joined the site today and wanted to post this.

I used to own Onkyo HT series since 2005 and gave that away in 2012 as I bought another Amp TX-SR309 from UK and hooked them up with Paradigm CT100 speakers.

The whole setup is awesome and playing all fine since the time I bought it.

Onkyo Gurus,

We have a 3010 receiver but have never used the FM radio. Today my wife's friends came over for lunch and wanted to listen to the radio and we found that it could not receive any FM channel. Is there a problem with Onkyo receivers when it comes to FM reception?

Thanks.
navin

Onkyo Gurus,

We have a 3010 receiver but have never used the FM radio. Today my wife's friends came over for lunch and wanted to listen to the radio and we found that it could not receive any FM channel. Is there a problem with Onkyo receivers when it comes to FM reception?

Thanks.
navin

Hope you are using the supplied FM cable.. Try to run the Auto tuning once again and check if it can pick FM channels....

BTW how far do you live from the city?

Hope you are using the supplied FM cable.. Try to run the Auto tuning once again and check if it can pick FM channels....

BTW how far do you live from the city?

Thank you elangoas for your quick reply.

1. I don't think the FM antenna is connected and I can't find the one supplied by Onkyo.

2. My Arcam 400 in the same location produced FM without any antenna so I did not think one needed an antenna if one lives literally in the middle of the city.

From the manual (Onkyo does not supply a physical manual) that I downloaded i understand that Onkyo uses a 75 ohm antenna. When I lived in NY (LA is more spread out and there we need one but Mumbai is similar to dense urban metros like NY, Singapore and London) we never bothered with these antennas and still got decent FM reception so I am 99.9% sure I did not bother to connect the antenna (it is now lost).

Is the Onkyo so poor that it need a FM antenna where the Arcam manages without one? If so I'll have to get one and make the effort to get behind this massive receiver (at my age and with my back I have to request somone else to do this) and connect one.

Thanks again elangoas.

Last edited:
Thank you elangoas for your quick reply.

1. I don't think the FM antenna is connected and I can't find the one supplied by Onkyo.

2. My Arcam 400 in the same location produced FM without any antenna so I did not think one needed an antenna if one lives literally in the middle of the city.

From the manual (Onkyo does not supply a physical manual) that I downloaded i understand that Onkyo uses a 75 ohm antenna. When I lived in NY (LA is more spread out and there we need one but Mumbai is similar to dense urban metros like NY, Singapore and London) we never bothered with these antennas and still got decent FM reception so I am 99.9% sure I did not bother to connect the antenna (it is now lost).

Is the Onkyo so poor that it need a FM antenna where the Arcam manages without one? If so I'll have to get one and make the effort to get behind this massive receiver (at my age and with my back I have to request somone else to do this) and connect one.

Thanks again elangoas.

Am surprised to hear that AVR pick FM stations without FM antenna cable... I use the Onkyo supplied FM antenna cable (White colour wire)

I stay fairly away from city, so my AVR picks only few stations than when i was residing in the city.... Hence the Q :eek:hyeah:

If you have the Arcam FM Antenna cable unused and if it is same as Onkyo AVR FM cable, it should work....

Am surprised to hear that AVR pick FM stations without FM antenna cable... I use the Onkyo supplied FM antenna cable (White colour wire)....

I guess I will have to get a FM antenna (75 ohms) as I could not find either FM antenna cable. Does Arcam have an internal antenna?

Maybe the Mumbai radio stations don't broadcast with the power tha NY stations did.

I guess I will have to get a FM antenna (75 ohms) as I could not find either FM antenna cable. Does Arcam have an internal antenna?

Maybe the Mumbai radio stations don't broadcast with the power tha NY stations did.

Try to source the FM Antenna cable from Onkyo service in Mumbai.. Think they would have the spare...

May be signal strength...

Last edited:
Great... But i feel that price is on the higher side.. Try to negotiate if you can...

Nah I was happy to get prompt service. Had 2 antennas picked up today, will get to see them tomorrow morning and hopefully install them over the weekend. Thanks again.

Great...I think now your AVR should be able to pick-up handful of stations..

It worked. I still find it odd that the Arcam did not need a FM antenna while the Onkyo does. In fact the Arcam's FM is cleaner WITHOUT an FM antenna than the Onkyo WITH one. Go Figure.

We only have 1 English music channel in Mumbai anyway (I don't remember the station number 94.3 or something) but I must say that the DJs there talk way too much and are not very knowledgeable about the older rock (compared to my days in NY in the 80s and LA in the 90s). This sunday over lunch we had the FM on and whoever was on blabbered on "they don't know the difference between John Paul Jones and John Entwistle"

Last edited:
It worked. I still find it odd that the Arcam did not need a FM antenna while the Onkyo does. In fact the Arcam's FM is cleaner WITHOUT an FM antenna than the Onkyo WITH one. Go Figure.

We only have 1 English music channel in Mumbai anyway (I don't remember the station number 94.3 or something).

Great... I think 3010 being one of the top model & still not good as Arcam in reception, shows that Onkyo team haven't paid much attention to FM playback even in their top end model....

Great... I think 3010 being one of the top model & still not good as Arcam in reception, shows that Onkyo team haven't paid much attention to FM playback even in their top end model....

I got 2 antennas from Onkyo so I am going to stick the other one in the Arcam and see if that helps the Arcam perform even better.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back