Onkyo AVR875 ---reasons for the 875 to go into protection mode??

have not done any changes in the connections and settings
did watch WOLVERINE on bluray on sat @ the same levels and @ times even took it higher ( took it to 0 db @ times ) ----but nothing happened it played on

need to re chk with the king kong disc again, the empire building shoot out scene (this is where it first happened)

have not done any changes in the connections and settings
did watch WOLVERINE on bluray on sat @ the same levels and @ times even took it higher ( took it to 0 db @ times ) ----but nothing happened it played on

need to re chk with the king kong disc again, the empire building shoot out scene (this is where it first happened)

Subhash!!

Are you trying to say that there might be a problem with KK Blu ray? I'll be damned if this were true. All this brain scratching for nothing. Actually, we should have thought about it earlier.

Try more blu rays and let us know.

i am not saying there cud be anything wrong with the KK bluray:lol: , i guess the recorded levels in DTS HD MA cud be @ a much higher rate then the other BRDs i have watched , this cud be a coz

as nothing happened with the BLU ray of Wolverine , the difference here was ,it was a reg c disc, cud not be played on my pioneer LX52 BDP so it was` played on the philips BDP3000 which does not out put DTS HD MA so only dolby digital, with this @ vol levels of 0db nothing happened

so i guess the reason i mentioned above may hold good , will rechk with the KK bd and also with other bds with DTS HD MA

Last edited:
i am not saying there cud be anything wrong with the KK bluray:lol: , i guess the recorded levels in DTS HD MA cud be @ a much higher rate then the other BRDs i have watched , this cud be a coz

as nothing happened with the BLU ray of Wolverine , the difference here was ,it was a reg c disc, cud not be played on my pioneer LX52 BDP so it was` played on the philips BDP3000 which does not out put DTS HD MA so only dolby digital, with this @ vol levels of 0db nothing happened

so i guess the reason i mentioned above may hold good , will rechk with the KK bd and also with other bds with DTS HD MA

Ok Subhash!!

Here's a piece of advice.

" Do not change more than one parameter at one time" whenever you are trying to shortlist something or come to a conclusion.

You changed the disc from KK to Wolverine but you also switched to DD from HD audio. This is a huge difference. And, if I remember, DD was working fine before as well when you were playing through your DVD's.

Now, please use similar sound formats on a different blu ray disc and get back with comments.

sumit , i dint change the sound format to DD , though the disc (wolverine has DTS HD MA) my other player philips BDP3000 doesnt output dts hd ,it only out puts DD true HD , since this sound track is not available on the disc it outputs the audio in only Dts format , so the difference

i have a bluray called the unborn ,on DTS HD MA (dont really know how demanding the sound track is ) but will chk it out and post comments

Last edited:
watched Unborn on DTS HD MA (5.1) @ vol level of -2 db , this vol was maintained for the entire movie there was no incidence of the amp going to protection mode

but the sound track was not at all demanding so cant really say much

watched Unborn on DTS HD MA (5.1) @ vol level of -2 db , this vol was maintained for the entire movie there was no incidence of the amp going to protection mode

but the sound track was not at all demanding so cant really say much

If you say that the track is not demanding then we cannot draw conclusions from this. Please play a BR which you feel is 'demanding' and post your experience.

will chk with transformers / matrix/ MI2 over the week end

also did chk with terminator (rise of the machines) DTS HD MA entire movie was played @ -2 db without any issues

will chk with transformers / matrix/ MI2 over the week end

also did chk with terminator (rise of the machines) DTS HD MA entire movie was played @ -2 db without any issues

T3 is quite a demanding movie. I think I can conclude that it was the particular movie, KK that was creating issues. Enjoy you Home Cinema!

Still, I would want you to try the Front pre-out to yout stereo pre as I explained earlier and then post your thoughts.

Cheers!!

really cant understand how the kk bd cud be the issue , but then it has never happened with other discs at even higher vol levels

reasons i cud think of

1--the recorded levels in the kk bd cud be of a higher level then the other discs tried

2--the level @ which it went into protection mode was @ -3db ,the entire movie was played @ this vol , the reason i can think of here is the length of the movie ,kk is abt 3 hrs +, and it tripped towards the end (empire state building scene ) so playing @ -3db for 3 hrs cud have heated up the AVR considerably even though the AC was on

3--there has been no issues with terminator (rise of the machines) BD ,DTS HD MA ,which i have watched @ -2db entire movie (it does have a very demanding sound ) also same with several other bds , but all these movies were under 2 hours

thanks sumit will try out more discs ,and also try out your connection

really cant understand how the kk bd cud be the issue , but then it has never happened with other discs at even higher vol levels

reasons i cud think of

1--the recorded levels in the kk bd cud be of a higher level then the other discs tried

2--the level @ which it went into protection mode was @ -3db ,the entire movie was played @ this vol , the reason i can think of here is the length of the movie ,kk is abt 3 hrs +, and it tripped towards the end (empire state building scene ) so playing @ -3db for 3 hrs cud have heated up the AVR considerably even though the AC was on

3--there has been no issues with terminator (rise of the machines) BD ,DTS HD MA ,which i have watched @ -2db entire movie (it does have a very demanding sound ) also same with several other bds , but all these movies were under 2 hours

thanks sumit will try out more discs ,and also try out your connection

Heres what I think:

1. Not aware of this.

2. Why don't you skip directly to this scene and find out when the AVR is at room temp???

3. No Comment:

all the reasons i have thot of in the above posts will not hold good

MAN , the 875 tripped again yday , this time with the BD of incredible hulk (it has a extremly demanding sound track on DTS HD MA )
vol level was -4db , it tripped midway of the 18th chapter

so this was it ,i thot of all the possible things i cud do as suggestd by sumith ,ashish, spirovious

1---i first connected the extra pre in bt the power and AVR--as suggested by sumith, chkd out the same chapter same vol levels (-4db) the AVR tripped

2--disconnected the back sorrounds from the AVR ---again same story

3-- as ashish suggested connected all the spkrs directly to the AVR ---again no luck , but here the AVR tripped @ a slightly higher vol levels (-2db) , but the quality of sound minus the power amps was not up to my liking

4-- reconnected all the power amps , and changed the setting @ the AVR , this as suggested by spirivorous
the settings were
main L/R 2db (previously set @ +4DB)
centre -2db ( ,, 0db)
sorrounds L/R 4db ( ,, 8db )
back sorrounds L/R 2 db ( ,, 5db )
sub unchanged @ -3db

@ these settings the AVR played back the chapter 18 and the rest of the movie without any issue at the same vol level of -4db ------THAT WAS A BIG RELIEF!!!!

ashish has further suggested to calibrate the avr with auddesy / spl meter (both of which i have not done and will soon do it )

i request any other 875 users to chk out if they have encountered this kind of problem and kindly post comments

-4db vol level is high , almost 75:/: but still i wud love to play at these levels without any incidents

Subhash: If you will reduce the levels then it is quite understandable that the 875 won't trip. Its the high volumes that trip it...remember
Still, the problem remains unresolved: why is the AVR tripping when there is not enough load on the same???
Having said that, maybe it has a protection circuit in the pre-amp level also or the pre-amp of AVR is not matching the power as suggested by Ashish. When the power amp tries to draw more voltage, the AVR clips. I don't think there is any other reasonable explanation.

Guys come on think....think...

Exactly !! really cant uderstand the reasons for the highly acclaimed !! ONKYO 875 to clip when there is not much load on the amp section

but sumith it also did clip when played thro the amps of the AVR too (i did disconnect all the power amps & routed it thro the AVR ) but @ a slightly higher level -2db against -4db with the external power amps, so does the question of mismatch with the external power amp hold good

also did talk to the technical guy @ onkyo , they talk crap man ,
first he tells
me that there is a protection mode in the set up menu & i am supposed to switch it off!!! ridiculous ,almost spent 30 mins searching for this in the menu ---there doesnt exist such a thing!!

nxt he tells me its a mismatching BD player :mad:

nxt he tells me my hdmi cables needs to be changed ( doesnt seem fair enough explanation)

by this time i realise its a mismatching technical adviser on the other end of the phone !!!

any way will try calibaration with the spl meter as suggested by ashish thats the last option here i guess

if problem still persists then goodbye to the 875 and also to onkyo:sad:

or may be thats the maximum vol the onkyo 875 can handle , as sreedhar /odyssey from ARN suggested , and is meant to trip at that level

if this is the case , what the hell ----are all the reviews CRAP ??? @ what levels are they checking the system at ? ??

one thing initially i noticed when i bought this reciever based on reviews which said this reciever is great for music !!!! man whatt crap my old sonodyne integrated SIA-102R was sounding far far better for 2 channel stereo!!!!!

point to be noted here dont fall for the crappy reviews like ME:mad:

Last edited:
thanks ashish for offering to send me your spl meter , i found a membr of the forum here in banglore ,who i got to know recently does have an spl meter here but he says its an analouge one , is that ok

will try to caliberate coming weekend

Last edited:
by this time i realise its a mismatching technical adviser on the other end of the phone !!!
LOL:lol:

Good you have made further progress in your trouble-shooting buddy. To me, this is a reinforcement of my own thoughts about setting up the AVR using a SPL meter since I have never used one.

Subash:

AS far as I am aware there are two reasons why an AVR can trip. One is a short circuit somewhere inside the AVR. Second, the speakers are going below their specified impedance.

Some speakers have a resistor based circuit by which the drop in impedance is arrested.

Since your fronts are connected through a external amplifier (Vincent), it is possible that the speakers are dropping their impedance, and the amp in turn is sending a demand for more power to the AVR. If you can set the impedance of the speakers in the Vincent amp to a lower level, please try that out. If you connect the speakers directly to the AVR, again set the impedance to a lower level and see what happens.

Either way, the AVR alone or the AVR + Amp should easily driver decent speakers to ear splitting levels.

Also check with Jamo about protection inside their speakers. If it not there, find out from them if they can add a protection circuit.

Cheers

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back