Onkyo AVR875 ---reasons for the 875 to go into protection mode??

Onkyo India never performed the firmware update on Subhash's AVR, what they did was the DSP update which is done through a CD player connected through the optical port of the AVR whereas the firmware update requires a computer as well as the RS232 port of the AVR to be used, what they did was to tackle the problem of DTS HD bomb but in Subhash's case this wasn't the problem, so his problem is either due to the mismatching of his pre and power blocks or it could be due to a weak capacitor in his AVR. I has also requested Subhash to calibrate his AVR with a SPL meter which I think he hasn't done yet, so I will again request the same to be done by him and then give us a feed back.

santosh, if there lies a doubt of multiple power amps used in my set up ,cud we check the 875 with your rotel power amp according to your convienience when i get bak , i wud like to try this out before the 875 is packed off

also u cud chk the SQ of the Rotels

Onkyo India never performed the firmware update on Subhash's AVR, what they did was the DSP update which is done through a CD player connected through the optical port of the AVR whereas the firmware update requires a computer as well as the RS232 port of the AVR to be used, what they did was to tackle the problem of DTS HD bomb but in Subhash's case this wasn't the problem, so his problem is either due to the mismatching of his pre and power blocks or it could be due to a weak capacitor in his AVR. I has also requested Subhash to calibrate his AVR with a SPL meter which I think he hasn't done yet, so I will again request the same to be done by him and then give us a feed back.

ashish yup i havent calibrated as yet

when all the channel levels are lowered ,the 875 doesnt cry for mercy at full throttle :lol:. Increase the db levels its the same story----this further brings in doubts of lack of power supply ,, thanks to the knowing BD:lol:

Last edited:
santosh, if there lies a doubt of multiple power amps used in my set up ,cud we check the 875 with your rotel power amp according to your convienience when i get bak , i wud like to try this out before the 875 is packed off

also u cud chk the SQ of the Rotels
No worries mate, I'll get my Rotel to your place when you are back and we'll do the testing.

when all the channel levels are lowered ,the 875 doesnt cry for mercy at full throttle :lol:. Increase the db levels its the same story----this further brings in doubts of lack of power supply ,, thanks to knowing :lol:

Subash, I am curious as I also use a 875. What channel levels have you set on
your AVR?

Cheers.

Guys

I searched for this thread again, to post my views,
(as orginally i did not have any thing to help or contribute)

Untill few days back, i never tired 5.1/7.1 on my avr AVR2310 .
When put up the volume levels to -33 db, source is FM radio(94.3),set to 7 channel stereo , this unit goes into protection mode.

was using existing speakers from sony for
SBR and SBL 235w rms (6 ohms)
SR and SL 80w rms (8 ohms)
center 80w rms (8 ohms)
while fronts is A7s 20-300w (8 ohms)

Most of the time, used for Music - so back to A7s use only.
I guess,this be because of mismatching Impedance of speakers - CLEARLY MENTIONED in trouble 'shouting' :eek:hyeah: section of the manual to me.
Am I correct? or is any other possible reason?

And i will be getting my surrounds (with matching impendence... ) later
I usually go Piece Meal all the time.

Last edited:
Guys

I searched for this thread again, to post my views,
(as orginally i did not have any thing to help or contribute)

Untill few days back, i never tired 5.1/7.1 on my avr AVR2310 .
When put up the volume levels to -33 db, source is FM radio(94.3),set to 7 channel stereo , this unit goes into protection mode.

was using existing speakers from sony for
SBR and SBL 235w rms (6 ohms)
SR and SL 80w rms (8 ohms)
center 80w rms (8 ohms)
while fronts is A7s 20-300w (8 ohms)

Most of the time, used for Music - so back to A7s use only.
I guess,this be because of mismatching Impedance of speakers - CLEARLY MENTIONED in trouble 'shouting' :eek:hyeah: section of the manual to me.
Am I correct? or is any other possible reason?

And i will be getting my surrounds (with matching impendence... ) later
I usually go Piece Meal all the time.

Since you are not using your AVR here at the insanely loud volumes so in your case it could be a short circuit of your speaker cables or it could be the result of your faulty speakers. Denon is more than capable of driving 6 ohms speakers to insanely loud levels so you shouldn't worry too much on that front. There is some other problem in your setup, so rectify it sooner otherwise your AVR will develop more snags.

Thanks ashishkesarwani

Yes. I was concerened.
Have removed all the connections to these speakers and back to A7s only.
Tested ok untill -15db ( any higher, i ll have to replace all doors/windows and my ear drum ).

The same speakers when connected back to sony,seems to be ok at its regular volumes.(which is much much higher than -33db ).

But planning to get in touch with the dealer before i do any experiments.

finally have had enough of Onkyo and all the headscratching i have gone thro with the 875, i conclude that there is nothing wrong with the 875 its just that i have often driven it beyond its capabilities and it definetly is not an amp for me . Am sure the service guys who had visited my place sometime back are still scratching thier nuts ,anyways there has been no news from them
Only Hope the isuues that i have noticed have been taken care off with the newer models

Last edited:
great !!

wud continue a little bit of research on the 875

thanks to dhilip for agreeing on this

OK , since the PS3 does output DTS HD MA , i wud like to know if the existing issues of the 875 have been taken care off in the newer model ,the 876

the issues that i first faced was with HD audio (especially DTS HD MA)

OK dhilip, what are the BD titles you own ?

Hi Subhash,

BD's I own:

1. Iron Man 1
  2. Terminator 2 Judgment Day
  3. Batman Begins
  4. Batman: The Dark Knight
  5. Rambo: First Blood
  6. Cliff Hanger
  7. Avatar
  8. Animation - Cars, Toy Story 1 & 2, Wall E, Ratatouille, Kung Fu Panda
  9. Baraka
  10. BBC Planet Earth Series
  11. I, Robot
  12. Independence Day
  13. Ice Age 1,2,3
  14. Air Force One

Some more which I can't remember. Do you see anything that you're interested in?

-Dhilip

Last edited:
from your list u cud pick

kung fu panda
Avataar

but i wud prefer
King kong / Knowing ie is if u have them (with these discs i cud tell u the exact chapters to be played)
or one of the above from your collection wud do

let me know the level calibration of individual channels on the AVR

My settings in the AVR 875 was fronts L/R @ 4 db
center and sub @ 0 db
sorround L/R @ 7 db
back sorrounds @ 4 db
higher levels set by me as each were run by external power amps ,only back sourrounds by the AVR
Not impressed by audyssey calibration so not done (done ,but levels have been highered)

What u need to chk

1-disconnect all speakers from the AVR

2-keep source connected to display via AVR

3-U cud preferably pick
from Kung fu panda the chapter were the bad guy escapes from the cave/prison( dont remember the names of the characters ) or the last battle with the panda
or
any of the battle sequence from Avataar,preferably the last war sequence

4- wud like u to raise the levels of each channel close to my setting

5- raise the volume preferably to 0db (depends on the volume settings on the AVR ,mine stared from around -70 to +10db)

6-@ 0db play for around 5-10 minutes ,let me know what happens,

7- Selected audio has to be DTS HD MA

IF u have the king kong BD play the chapter were king kong is on top of the empire building and is attacked by fighter planes or if u have Knowing BD ,pick the plane crash scene

if nothing happens its Great!!! they have taken care of the defects

Do let me know

thanks in advance

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back