Onkyo AVR875 ---reasons for the 875 to go into protection mode??

Subash:

AS far as I aware there are two reasons why an AVR can trip. One is a short circuit somewhere inside the AVR. Second, the speakers are going below their specified impedance.

Some speakers have a resistor based circuit by which the drop in impedance is arrested.

Since your fronts are connected through a external amplifier (Vincent), it is possible that the speakers are dropping their impedance, and the amp in turn is sending a demand for more power to the AVR. If you can set the impedance of the speakers in the Vincent amp to a lower level, please try that out. If you connect the speakers directly to the AVR, again set the impedance to a lower level and see what happens.

Either way, the AVR alone or the AVR + Amp should easily driver decent speakers to ear splitting levels.

Also check with Jamo about protection inside their speakers. If it not there, find out from them if they can add a protection circuit.

Cheers

thanks for the suggestions

i wudnt know how to chk for short circuit with in the AVR , i think i will have to call for technical help from onkyo and chk

my spkr impedence is 6 ohms
the external power amp (vincent SP331MK ) doesnt specify the impedence load of the spkr to be used , it says power out put of 150 rms @ 8 ohms and 300rms @ 4 ohm load , it also also specifies that it can easily drive a 4ohm spkr effortlessly

i have biwired my main L/R to the ext power amp

cud there be anything wrong with my main power supply?? earthing issues?? how do i chk this out??

will also speak to the jamo guys @ cinebells ,about protection circuit being incorporated within the spkrs ( hope those guys there understand what i am talking about!!)

spoke to mr lokesh , head of onkyo for karnataka , have told him abt the issue and requested him to join the forum

have asked him to go through the thread and post his comments
he has told me that he will contact the technical person malaysia / japan and get back to me

his initial thot ,when the avr is only used as a pre it shud not trip as all internal amps are not in use

will not be able to calibrate AVR till weekend as i am out of bangalore

Last edited:
or may be thats the maximum vol the onkyo 875 can handle , as sreedhar /odyssey from ARN suggested , and is meant to trip at that level

if this is the case , what the hell ----are all the reviews CRAP ??? @ what levels are they checking the system at ? ??

one thing initially i noticed when i bought this reciever based on reviews which said this reciever is great for music !!!! man whatt crap my old sonodyne integrated SIA-102R was sounding far far better for 2 channel stereo!!!!!

point to be noted here dont fall for the crappy reviews like ME:mad:

Thats not true ....... I sometimes cross +10Db over the reference level and it doesn't trip at that level in my Onkyo but in my AVR the reference level is set at 75Db.

thanks ashish for offering to send me your spl meter , i found a membr of the forum here in banglore ,who i got to know recently does have an spl meter here but he says its an analouge one , is that ok

will try to caliberate coming weekend

Yes analogue is fine too. do the calibration and then report back.

there is a post on turning off the reon video processor, i dont think mine is in use as in the setting of the avr its set to through

Thats not true ....... I sometimes cross +10Db over the reference level and it doesn't trip at that level in my Onkyo but in my AVR the reference level is set at 75Db.

thats terrific !! hope mine too will reach that levels after the issue is solved

or may be thats the maximum vol the onkyo 875 can handle , as sreedhar /odyssey from ARN suggested , and is meant to trip at that level

if this is the case , what the hell ----are all the reviews CRAP ??? @ what levels are they checking the system at ? ??

one thing initially i noticed when i bought this reciever based on reviews which said this reciever is great for music !!!! man whatt crap my old sonodyne integrated SIA-102R was sounding far far better for 2 channel stereo!!!!!

point to be noted here dont fall for the crappy reviews like ME:mad:

sorry ashish was pissed off!!! on sat when this issue kept happening with all parameters being tried , thats why this quote!!

only lowering the spkr levels helped to a little extent

moreover 2 channel music is not for an avr , and its not fair to compare an avr to a stereo amp

Last edited:
I understand your agony, and if I would have been in your place I would have felt the same, that even after spending so much money and that too on Quality stuff I am not getting the desired results, but buddy here you need to relax and keep your cool, also do as you are advised after you are back in Bangalore.

today spoke to lokesh at length
he hasnt posted on the forum though, but has gone through all the posts as i had sent him a link

his suggestions

step 1
disconnect all spkrs , power amps
source (bdp) to be connected as it is
play bd/dvd
play avr @ full volume
if it trips then problem with avr (supposedly transistor wear in one of the channel), time for avr service
if it doesnt then the fault lies elsewhere

step 2

if the avr trips
connect individual channels with spkr connected each @ a time
play avr with source connected and playing
increase vol levels to max
chk for each channels seperately to find out which channel is @ fault

this is supposed to be the only way to chk out

fair enough ,sounds like the correct way to chk out

so the first step wud be to calibrate avr
followed by the above steps

not yet done with my tests as yet

another reply i got from another forum ( audioholics)

similar problem with an 805 onkyo avr ,

diagnosis was bad soldering joints within the avr , becoz of the crappy lead free solder (one of the criteria for ISO standards )

Last edited:
not yet done with my tests as yet

another reply i got from another forum ( audioholics)

similar problem with an 805 onkyo avr ,

diagnosis was bad soldering joints within the avr , becoz of the crappy lead free solder (one of the criteria for ISO standards )

AIYYAIYO!!!

and i have been buying lead free solder!!!:sad:

got down today to do the checking on the 875 as told by the onkyo people

disconnected everything from the AVR

jst kept the source connected ( bdp) and the display switched on

played the same seqences from the kk bd,was told to keep the vol @ max ,which i did

for the first 5-6 mins nothing happened , but BINGO !!! suddenly the AVR tripped !! ,rechecking again lead to same results

so its confirmed that the problem lies in one of the amplifier section of the AVR

sad that the so called ,great ONKYO 875 has to go to the service centre:sad:

it serves my doubts right on the newer onkyo products , this amp has been with me for only one and a half years
the older model 787 was with me for abt 7 years without any issues

was supposed to take the 875 to the service center on monday, on sat watched harrypotter half blood prince on BD, and transformers revenge of fallen on dvd @ extreme levels :cool: , the audio was Dolby true HD for harry potter and dolby digital for transformers, there was absolutely no issues with the avr

the tripping problem i have encoutered is only on DTS HD MA
again had a few doubts
crossed chkd with the service centre

got a reply saying that if there was short circuit happening in any one of the 7 channels of the AVR then the tripping shud happen @ any vol and not only @ higher levels , and was told that one of thier engineers will visit my place and chk out

this saved me the troublesome exercise that i wud have had to go thro

interestingly on browsing ,got to know abt the issues onkyo have had with DTS HD MA with thier other model the PR-sc 885 processor , chk this out under editors note
UltimateAVmag.com: Home Page

this definetly raises my doubts further with onkyo and DTS HD MA

the 875 was checked by the 2 service guys from onkyo@ my place today /sat
they spent abt `2 hrs

the AVR tripped with DTS HD MA @ -3db vol level (king kong BD)
there were no issues of tripping with Doldy True HD @ even +4db vol level (transformers BD)

so what we have here is a technical problem
related to
compatibility of DTS HD MA and onkyo
(slightly older models of 2008)

all the other parameters suggested so far doesnt hold good

i think this is what is reffered `to in another forums (avs/ audioholics) as the DTS BOMB // POP
i guess the only way out wud be a firmware upgrade / or as mentioned in the link in the previous post ie to add on extra capacitors
the onkyo guys too are kind of puzzeled and clueless, this is the first such reported troubleshoot for them, they await for reply from higher service guys from malaysia/japan

this troublesoot may have been fixed in the latter models , my 875 is abt 1yr 6months old so the problem may noy have been resolved @ that time

so GUYS with 875 wake up !!!!!!!!!!play a few BDs with DTS HD MA soundtracks crank up vol levels and chk out if the DTS BOMB shuts your reciever off

u cud google on DTS BOMB or DTS HD MA BOMB ,theres plenty of news` on it, wasnt aware of this untill i spoke to ashish, and this is supposed to be due to DSP issues

awaiting for replys

Last edited:
This problem has been there with all Onkyo's xx5 models so there is a DSP update released by Onkyo by which this problem is solved.

but here in india as far as i know, i wudnt expect anybody (other than me :mad:) to have encounterd this issue
there are hundreds abroad who had faced this issues , maybe here the BD players have not yet caught up , so less exposure to HD audio ,and the avrs are happy:lol:

even the guys from onkyo still have no clue

the dts bug seems to have effected onkyo and yamaha avrs

but here in india as far as i know, i wudnt expect anybody (other than me :mad:) to have encounterd this issue
there are hundreds abroad who had faced this issues , maybe here the BD players have not yet caught up , so less exposure to HD audio ,and the avrs are happy:lol:

even the guys from onkyo still have no clue

the dts bug seems to have effected onkyo and yamaha avrs

Yes you are spot on here with the fact that there is very low penetration of BD as well as players here in India thats why Onkyo India is not familier with these problems but in the west all their forums have been buzzing with these kind of minor bugs in these recievers.

yes ashish , i was really shocked to see so many such issues in other forums , actually one of the guys in audioholic forum suggested that it cud be the DTS BUG some time back , i dint take it seriously and was wondering what the hell hes talking about:confused:, well i know now

will do the firmware upgrade , but lets see what the onkyo guys wud come up with , also in one of the forum it says if u mess around with the firmware you are void of the warranty , so let me wait for the reply from service guys

a point to be noted ---the protection mode issue doesnt happen in all the DTS HD MA discs

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back