Onkyo AVR875 ---reasons for the 875 to go into protection mode??

Yes you are spot on here with the fact that there is very low penetration of BD as well as players here in India thats why Onkyo India is not familier with these problems but in the west all their forums have been buzzing with these kind of minor bugs in these recievers.

this goes to all guys with HD capable AVRs ---go get yourselves a BDP,
u guys are missing something awesome
what good is the HD capable AVR without HD sources:yahoo:

Subhash!!

Are you trying to say that there might be a problem with KK Blu ray? I'll be damned if this were true. All this brain scratching for nothing. Actually, we should have thought about it earlier.

Try more blu rays and let us know.

sumith: your doubts are right man
--its not the King kong Bd its the DTS HD MA BOMB
--not that it shud happen in all BDs kk is one of them
--no isues with van helsing BD with the same sound track @ 0db vol level
--but if u go thro other forums there is a list of bds with DTS HD MA which
gets the bomb into action

absolutely no issues with Dolby True HD sound tracks @ even +3db vol levels

so this proves that the issue is with the firmware of onkyo

Subhash!!

I think at this juncture, we should upgrade the firmware of 875 and take it from there. There has been enough discussions regrading what all not. Do the firmware upgrade and get back here.

Cheers!

Subhash!!

I think at this juncture, we should upgrade the firmware of 875 and take it from there. There has been enough discussions regrading what all not. Do the firmware upgrade and get back here.

Cheers!

definetly sumit: it was one crazy shit !!!! anyway got to the cause after all the exercises, really went nuts trying to figure out:D

ashish has sent me the links to do the upgrade

am jst waiting for the onkyo guys to come up with it

but here in india as far as i know, i wudnt expect anybody (other than me :mad:) to have encounterd this issue
The other reason why only you would encounter this issue is because most of us here do not watch movies at the insane levels you do:). Guys, this chap listens at really crazy volumes. Add to that his trinity sub, and it really insane SPLs.

But Kudos to you and all our members helping you trouble-shoot this. The problem has been isolated to DTS MA HD Blu-rays only and that too some of them. So far, the only value-add I see in engaging Onkyo India is that we were able to put away our doubts on below:
a) pre-power voltage mismatch
b) impedances
c) load on pre-section of AVR

IMO, Onkyos suggestion on testing without any speakers connected was a nice method to trouble-shoot this.

Yes, get Onkyo chaps to do the firmware upgrade.

theres been no response by onkyo sevice guys as of yet,
shows that onkyo india is not yet familiar with these issues
will wait for some more time

thanks ,ashish i have downloaded the files and gone thro it, any way will not be attempting this on my own

just curious to know how to UNZIP the file , before burning on to a cd

yday evening was surprised to hear from the onkyo people , they did come down and did the firmware upgrade , they had a CD which they played thro the dvdp connected via the optical in of the AVR

The firmware of the 875 was found to be 1.02
it was upgraded to the latest version 1.05: HDMI 1.01/07706A, this version can be chkd by presssing and holding the display button on the AVR and then press the power button , the latest firmware version gets diplayed on the AVRs display

following this did try out a few dts hd ma tracks in the presence of the onkyo guys and there did not seem to be any issues

will chk out again and post findings

following this did try out a few dts hd ma tracks in the presence of the onkyo guys and there did not seem to be any issues

will chk out again and post findings

Thats good ,so you will not face any issue further.

opening up this thread again

sad to tell all u guys /owners of onkyo 875

again ended up scratching my head all over again The KNOWING BD which i recently bought shut down the 875 again !!!!!

All the F***NG Firmware upgrades and all nonsense is all Balls :D

its just that the 875 CANNOT BE PUSHED TO LIMITS ,it f***ng cries and shuts down when u hit 0 DB ( after the recent F***ng upgrades it was ok till 3 DB ) but when u go to higher limits the 875 simply runs out of breath

the only reason i can think of is ,when there is high demands of current in demanding scenes the AVR simply cannot meet the power reqiurements needed -------so when pushed to limits it definetly shuts off

not everyone wud push thier AVR to these levels but for guys intending to do so this AVR will definetly not work

what worth wud a AVR of such acclaims be if it doesnt meet your needs :D

Conclusion--it simply doesnt get the required power supply thro its transformers to meet the demands when pushed to higher limits ( these are my thots, nothing else wud be an issue here)

Last edited:
Subhash! Without connecting the speakers, does the AVR still clips at desired level?
Also, I am quite eager to know your thoughts about the 8003 Pre when compared to 875 Pre.
Subhash, you are using different power amps in your chain. Have you ever thought about using a single 7 channel amp? Just curious..

Sumit

Subhash! Without connecting the speakers, does the AVR still clips at desired level?
Also, I am quite eager to know your thoughts about the 8003 Pre when compared to 875 Pre.
Subhash, you are using different power amps in your chain. Have you ever thought about using a single 7 channel amp? Just curious..

Sumit
Sumit, Subhash was travelling when we spoke last night, so I'll try and answer on his behalf. The issue has been fixed by Onkyo personnel by a firmware upgrade. About the Marantz 8003, he had almost bought it when reports of its weakness came up. IIRC, both you and me alerted him about the thread.

About using different power amps, I have often asked him, he feels none of the multi-channel powerblocks can cater to his power needs the way his carvers are able to. BTW, I have gone the multi-channel powerblock route. Just picked up a used Rotel RB-985 (100W x 5 @ 8ohms) in mint condition yesterday:). Will use the Rotel to power the surrounds and center and will power the fronts with my Adcom 555 MkII once my order for the Emotiva UMC-1 Sound Processor comes through:yahoo:.

Last edited:
Sumit, I did not see Subhash's recent post #74 where 875 is unable to cope up(again). So, ignore my comments about the firmware upgrade having fixed it.

Way to go Santhosh!! Obvious Question: How much?

Cheers!!
18k for the Rotel RB 985. The Emotiva UMC-1 is for 799$. Luckily it is atleast 2 to 3 months away as there are several others in the Queue who have ordered before me (including Subhash).

Before you settle in, here's another option for the future upgrade path, when you finally fry the Rotel :cool:

200806_axiom_a1400_8_i.jpg

The mighty A1400-8 Digital Amplifier from Axiom Audio.

Excerpts from the website:
Pretenders beware: The A1400-8 amplifier is a classic in the making. There are lots of 'names' out there making lots of claims, but none that can come close to the A1400-8's ability to dynamically and continuously distribute its 1400 total watts of output power to any combination of one, two, three, four, and up to seven (or eight) channels!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back