ONKYO TX-SR608 where to buy in Bangalore

No offence to Dennon Fans... 608 is far far superior in terms of upscaling and Audio output.. I m goin for one in few weeks, since it is not easily avaliable here in Bangalore, M ordering from US.

No offence to Dennon Fans... 608 is far far superior in terms of upscaling and Audio output.. I m goin for one in few weeks, since it is not easily avaliable here in Bangalore, M ordering from US.

I also would like know :). I have finalized on Denon.

For Onkyo you can check here -: Modern World -> Enquiry/Contact Us :-
Their website sucks though. They have showrooms on MG road Domlur.

-Vishwa

I checked out the Onkyo 608, Denon 1910 & HK 255 AV receivers this saturday with my laptop's HDMI output. I was using a 2010 VAIO Z (VPCZ1) laptop to do the tests.

The Onkyo was something I was very keen to buy, but it had tons of issues. When connected to the projector in Onkyo showroom's demo room, the receiver would not get connected to the laptop. The laptop kept on installing and uninstalling the hdmi device. It went on for ages. We then disconnected the HDMI output to the projector and the receiver worked in Audio mode. To see if the thing works with a HDTV, we then connected to a 32" Sony Bravia LCD and now the onkyo would not process audio, while it would process video perfectly.

The Denon 1910 & HK 255 faced no such problems. I would suggest that you do a proper test with HDMI sources before you buy an Onkyo 608 receiver. My VAIO Z has a Nvidia GT330M GFX card and it gives a Nvidia HD audio port for audio over HDMI. I was able to get Dolby Digital surround tracks sent to all 3 AV receivers using the Windows 7 WMP w/o any issues. All 3 AV receivers were detected properly by WMP, but the Onkyo was the only model which caused so much problems.

The guy at the showroom in C.R. Park, New Delhi told me that they had received the 608 a few days back, so check your local Onkyo dealer for availablity. The price was Rs.48k MRP, with an offer for Rs.45k.

Given that the Denon 1910 and the HK 255 cost around 40k, I would suggest that you check these 2 out also.

-- no1lives4ever

Sorry for the late reply denon 1910 is a good choice BUT SR608 is a VFM feature rich unit and it is also THX certified.

The issues with SR607 has been fixed with this model.I have been doin lot of research and I got a lot of positive feedback for this unit.

Onkyo TS-XR607 or 608 Vs Denon 790/1910 - Audio - Home theatre - Whirlpool Forums
#1 Big sale in onkyo TX SR 608 vs Denon 1910
Onkyo TX-SR608 Review

Pics SR608 AVR1910 and AVR1911
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4582/onkyo.png
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6967/denon1910.png
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7945/denon1911.png

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply denon 1910 is a good choice BUT SR608 is a VFM feature rich unit and it is also THX certified.

The issues with SR607 has been fixed with this model.I have been doin lot of research and I got a lot of positive feedback for this unit.

I caution anyone getting a 608 to run a thorough test with all the components in their AV rig and not to buy one of these units w/o doing thorough testing.

Based on the spec sheet and price of the Onkyo 608, I thought that I had found the perfect AV receiver for my budget. I was all set to get this model. A test for compatiblity and feature/ease of use OTOH totally turned me away from this unit.

Compatiblity problems I found:
1. The 608 when connected to the Projector using a HDMI cable in the Onkyo Demo room, would not output anything to the projector. My laptop when connected to the same projector had no such issues.

2. When connected to this projector, the HDMI handshake between my laptop & the Onkyo 608 kept on failing, causing the laptop to continuously detect that a HDMI monitor had been connected followed by a disconnect.

3. When connected to a newish full HD Sony Bravia LCD, we could not get any sound output from the receiver, but this time the HDMI video signal was correctly sent from my laptop to the AV receiver.

I did a test of the 608 with the laptop connected to the AV receiver using a HDMI cable and the AV receiver not connected to any output device. I was then able to stream a Dolby AC3 soundtrack and get the receiver to decode the soundtrack.

Some more features/issues wrt the Denon 1910, which were a kinda deal breaker for me:

1. The onkyo has Audyssey 2EQ, while the Denon has Audyssey MultiEQ. MultiEQ is a more advanced form of the Audyssey auto setup.

2. The onkyo shuts out audio when u go to the audio setup menu. If you are using manual EQ, then this can be a royal pain. The denon system is a lot better and easier to use.

3. I could not figure out if the Onkyo allows you to set speaker distances in 1cm intervals.

4. The Onkyo 608 has a 7 band graphic EQ, while the Denon 1910 has a 9 band graphic EQ.

5. I could not figure out the proper amp rating for the Onkyo. Apparently it has a combined power amp section, which has some form of a dynamic power distribution to different speakers.

Some features I really liked about the Onkyo, v/s the Denon 1910 were:
1. The Onkyo 608 has 6 HDMI inputs, with one in the front. I connect my computer to the AV receiver using a HDMI cable, and having a front HDMI input would have been a real plus.

2. The Denon 1910 remote is pretty stupid in design. All the buttons used to control the receiver are on the back! While you can use the menu in place of the direct buttons on the back, I personally like having direct buttons. I will be getting rid of the flap for the back cover of the remote soon.

3. The Onkyo can overlay the gui over a HDMI output. The denon switches away from the input and shows a 1980s ZX spectrum like GUI. It is definitely cool to see the volume display of the AV receiver to be overlaid on top when u watch a movie.

4. Onkyo 608 has HDMI 1.4 and is more future proof.

5. Onkyo 608 has THX certification. I have not studied this feature much as I was not going to get a set of THX speakers.

-- no1lives4ever

Features wise maybe the Onkyo is the winner, but for a AVR I think the most important thing is the sound quality. How's the audio performance of the both?

Hi

Which version of HDMI is on your Laptop.
Onkyo TX SR-608 comes with HDMI 1.4a version certified for 3D content.
The HDMI pushing the video also is expected to be any thing minimum is HDMI 1.3 or above.

That might have caused the issues.
Did you check which version of HDMI is there on your Laptop!

Regards,

Techie4fun

The Onkyo was something I was very keen to buy, but it had tons of issues. When connected to the projector in Onkyo showroom's demo room, the receiver would not get connected to the laptop. The laptop kept on installing and uninstalling the hdmi device. It went on for ages. We then disconnected the HDMI output to the projector and the receiver worked in Audio mode. To see if the thing works with a HDTV, we then connected to a 32" Sony Bravia LCD and now the onkyo would not process audio, while it would process video perfectly.

The Denon 1910 & HK 255 faced no such problems. I would suggest that you do a proper test with HDMI sources before you buy an Onkyo 608 receiver. My VAIO Z has a Nvidia GT330M GFX card and it gives a Nvidia HD audio port for audio over HDMI. I was able to get Dolby Digital surround tracks sent to all 3 AV receivers using the Windows 7 WMP w/o any issues. All 3 AV receivers were detected properly by WMP, but the Onkyo was the only model which caused so much problems.

The guy at the showroom in C.R. Park, New Delhi told me that they had received the 608 a few days back, so check your local Onkyo dealer for availablity. The price was Rs.48k MRP, with an offer for Rs.45k.

Given that the Denon 1910 and the HK 255 cost around 40k, I would suggest that you check these 2 out also.

-- no1lives4ever

Hi,

Onkyo TX608 comes with HDMI 1.4a ( native support for 3D ) THX certified version. The expectation would be to connect HDMI 1.3 or above version THX certified HDMI cables. Other cables are known to be causing problems.
Samsung LED TV manual clearly stated that use HDMI cables verion 1.3 and above other wise such problems might come as you had described in your post.

I'm using Onkyo TX SR-608 with Samsung 46" LED U46C6200UM with Jamo 5.1 A102-HCS5 speakers No issues at all, every thing working fine.

What version of HDMI does your laptop supports! What type of cable has been used to connect Laptop to Onkyo!

Regards,

Techie4fun

Last edited:
Hi,

Onkyo TX608 comes with HDMI 1.4a ( native support for 3D ) THX certified version. The expectation would be to connect HDMI 1.3 or above version THX certified HDMI cables. Other cables are known to be causing problems.
Samsung LED TV manual clearly stated that use HDMI cables verion 1.3 and above other wise such problems might come as you had described in your post.

I'm using Onkyo TX SR-608 with Samsung 46" LED U46C6200UM with Jamo 5.1 A102-HCS5 speakers No issues at all, every thing working fine.

What version of HDMI does your laptop supports! What type of cable has been used to connect Laptop to Onkyo!

Regards,

Techie4fun

sir ,
i am adding these cables in the website ,Have a Look at the rates -> Cables ? Lynx - The Audio , Electronics & Computer Online Superstore In India

I recently bought the Onkyo 708 which is also a good option, mainly because of its networking ability(think its not there in the 608). Gives u good access to internet radio.

@gnkapadia what is the the price of the 708 and how it 708 for stereo music

And any one pls tell onkyo 608 in grey market

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back