Onkyo vs Denon + speakers??

In your experience what is the time reqd to get this one going...

Well it looks as if you need just 2 HDMI cables. I have experience with three brands and I liked all of them.

1. 'Oppo' HDMI cable that came with the DVD Player. This is obviously out for you.
2. DAC HDMI cables from Designer Audio. These are very good.
3. Cables from a German company called Eagle. These come at Rs.2100 for a 1 meter length and also very good.

Time to get a HT system going? Believe me it is a perpetual tweak for me. But I do that because I like tweaking. Jokes aside, you should get the system up and running within 3 to 4 days. I have found the video setting and sub woofer setting to be the most challenging. In video setting everything is easy excepting Hue and Tint. If you get those right, it is easy afterwards.

When working on the subwoofer, see if you can play a note one the sub and on another speaker (say Front Right) alternatively to compare. If you reach a setting where the two sounds merge and the sub does not overwhelm the other speaker, you have set the sub properly. It is important the low frequency sound from the other speaker should not stop. In other words, the speaker should start the note, go low, and the sub should take over below a certain frequency. This is difficult to 'hear' but repeated attempts will get your ears twitching, and you can set the sub properly.

There are lots of guides available in RealTraps - Home. In addition they have a special tone from subs that can be downloaded from RealTraps - Test Tone CD. Cut that into a CD, and you are all set to get your sub working well.

Cheers

Did you get chance to hear Onkyo with Polk ? Is ELAC FS 57 now available in bangalore ?.I am also looking for low end floor :) .May be 50% movies and 50% music

Hi,

The Denon-Polk combination seems to be working well...I am still figuring the config and setting the individual speakers...sometimes the sub looks overriding everything else...and sometimes the centre....but overall the verdict is positive...

I did not try the onkyo on polk since it is not easy to get one place with all these on board...but overall I feel the Denon is better on sound than Onkyo

As for Elac 57..chk with Modern World in Domlur...they had one which unfortunately i cd not pick and someone else did...they said they wd get another but no time frames were given...their promises to revert are only on paper...extremely poor on that...

Also try out the Morduant Short speakers...Avant 906i and 908i are worth exploring before taking a decision....

Unless you take a specific cd and try all these AVR's and Speakers in a single test environment, it is very difficult to figure one from the other...

Here are my tips on how to go about this decision...

1. Do enough research on the net ...
2. Take as much of opinion as possible from non-interested parties
3. Test all of these in individual configurations as available
4. Find a seller who you are comfortable with..and who is willing to spend time explaining the whole system to you...it might confuse you since most poeple who sell wd give you opinions which are perfect and absolute while neither your purse nor ur home environment will be close to perfect...( one opinion that keeps coming is that an AVR is a poor substitute for an Audio amp..and one needs a separate Cd player for music if one wanted to hear good music... this leads one to the task of thinking/ planning 2 different systems - one for music and the other for HT...even a zoning option is not encouraged and a separate system thought is put in...)
5. Plan your budget...it is very easy to be lost in the choices ....and prices ...
6. plan your requirements- clearly..what allwill be plugged into the AVR..how etc..
7. Do enough testing on the system yourself...how to set ..how to use the remote...what makes what different...distances, db's et all...
8. Figure out cables...pls plan this well...else you will invest as much for cables as your system...and the experts will tell you that it is worth every cent...but a prudent evaluation specific to the level of your system (cables cannnot add to the system) will be a good decision...and you cd save a lot of money that way...without compromisong on the output..
9. At the time of installation, dont get hurried..pls plan enough time and go thru the details...ensure who will do the conduiting for cables...as reqd...what will be the possible position for the speakers...how do the speakers work, individually and collectively...how is the sound in total...what is the right sound balance...this takes time and only possible with all the cables in place and enough time in hand...no hurry..play music...play moveis...test everything..make a to do list if reqd...but do not hurry...else you will be left to figure out for your self... maybe a few different sessions over days is a good idea (it might happen that the installation person will come and set it all up...on auto set...you will not know the difference and tell you that you will need to give the speakers time to break in..say 100hrs..and leave...pls chk this before buying...anything heard for 100 hrs with no reference point will become acceptable to the ear)

Rest is all common sense...trust your ear...and good luck...

Thanks Mads that is useful.Since u have done now I know ur the best one to ask for....
I know wat is meant..AV world is very confusing n full of generalized statement...

you know fidelity :)

coz of bad luck i bought onkyo 2 years back...i was budding that time and did'nt had money..I hurried to have something ...now i know it was a mistake...and mistake most of us do...may be i will love to call it learning experience ..and i am trying to graduate...if u ask me why one more mistake by buying low end FS.......(looks also matter if not for me )

.if i pick a amp now..I might have gone for NAD,cambridge etc....

I have long way to go on to get dream system...may be i will graduate slowly

may be latter when i get a lottery or if bonus are back in my company :)

coz of bad luck i bought onkyo 2 years back...i was budding that time and did'nt had money..I hurried to have something ...now i know it was a mistake...and mistake most of us do...may be i will love to call it learning experience ..and i am trying to graduate...if u ask me why one more mistake by buying low end FS.......(looks also matter if not for me )

.if i pick a amp now..I might have gone for NAD,cambridge etc....

I have long way to go on to get dream system...may be i will graduate slowly

may be latter when i get a lottery or if bonus are back in my company :)

Hey dont worry abt Onkyo.

I heard Onk. with Polk yr. back with RTi6 BS.They sounded very musical.
Bass was accurate ,not heavy or deep.In mov I didnt like the centre as dialoges were thin.treble is sweat too.
In short both monitor & RTi series matches with Polk.

I decided to go for Tannoy F1 custom which are best for budget.

i am only looking for front speakers now.How about Sonus 2605.Any first hand feed back.I still have to hear

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back