Opinions on the LG LD460 and LD650 series

heynownow

Hi Guys,

I'm a n00b here. I want to buy a 42" LCD (Not LED can't afford it) I get a decent discount on LG products as I work in a LG sister Co. (Not LGE tho). Now depending on teh availability and budget I have a couple of options

42LD460 : 42" fullhd, Supports all file formats, 2 HDMIs , 50Hz std response
42LD650 : 200 Mz trumotion, Ethernet, 3 HDMIs, Dnie compat, wireless upgradable, uniform bezel, other specs same as 460

Contrast ratios are marketing gimmicks so i really dont give a damn. and I will accept that fact blacks on non-led sets are not so blacky

Now I want to know whether it is really worth the price premium of nearly 10k to pay for the 650, basically for the trumotion and netcast facilities (something I doubt I will use). Also I found out to my surprise that the 460 played my mov and mp4 hd files perfectly, but the 650 couldnt (no audio). This is tested at 2 different places.

Guys I would also liek to know your optionion abt 100 hz motion control. Is it true that turning it on makes film looks like video. I saw a demo BD, and I found out that only in the case of scrolling characters, or shots with high speed horizonal panning does the 100Hz make any difference. Opionions please.

Cheerio

ld460 has response time of 4ms and ld 650 has 2ms may be in the gaming it might differance

Check if LD650 has a VGA port. I read online that there is no VGA which effectively means that you cannot connect it to a computer/laptop. I was also in the same state and I finally purchased LD550 :D (only yest though). I am extremely happy with the picture quality and for sound would rate it at 6/10. I played most of the ripped DVD's , DIVX, avi, mov etc and it was just awsome. I will try more and let you if it is indeed good. 100Hz made a difference when I watched some F1 race which was telecast, it looked a lot better with 100Hz active. The only reason I didnt choose LD650 was its lack of VGA port.

Don't worry about a VGA port. You can still connect it to a PC even if there is no VGA port. Simply buy an HDMI to DVI cable (or if your computer has an HDMI port then a simple HDMI cable will do)!

I have demoed 42LD65O the picture was absolutely stunning and I am planning to buy it in a week or two , haven't seen 460 though.100/200 hz helps in watching sports or during fast moving scenes.So it's a plus if you have it. I noticed The video or soap opera effect more in the samsungs LCDs but you just have to turn off tru motion option in samsung.
However I asked the guy at the showroom to play my dark knight blu-ray on LD650 and it did not have any video effect. PQ was just mind blowing.

Dont these tv's play high def divx and mkv's?

Not all LG TV Play mkv and other formats. Try before u buy

But these models support them. Only missing format is DTS audio decoding. DTS is most common now a days in 720p as well as 1080p rips

One more thing you need to keep in mind while choosing any LCD is the output facility. For LD650 there is no RCA output, it has optical output. If you are connecting your TV to amp that would be a problem if you have old amp or it does not have optical input. This is sad how come LG folks did not care much on output channels ?? :(

off topic - I got a quote for 42 LGLH90QR for 58K and it was the last and display piece in the shop. It was decently covered though. is this a good price for the TV or is it older enough in the market to skip ?

hi! i have not seen the demo of the 4xx model u memtioned but i have seen 42LD650-it is simply superb! actually the peice was well beyond my reach 69K -i had gone to see tvs in 40k range -but you could miss this brilliant one.. i saw the same content (HD) simultaneously played on 10-15 televisions in 2-3 showrooms -the one which stood out was this LD650 (yes better than the similarly prices sony 5series, samsung etc;).i even liked it's sleek razor edge design (similar to pj560).but this was not in my budget :( (may be buy this model next year -see the 2009 LG80FR now at 49K? :) )

Nice! but you'd be surprised to know that the LD650 doesnt do DTS downmix, but the cheaper LD460 does it for some weird reason. so I tried a MKV with DTS audio on both, and the 460 played it, while the 650 said invalid audio

off topic - I got a quote for 42 LGLH90QR for 58K and it was the last and display piece in the shop. It was decently covered though. is this a good price for the TV or is it older enough in the market to skip ?

Be happy you got yourself a killer of a deal. The LH90 has one of the best black levels and color saturation found in LG's LCD lineups.

LD 650 - Replace twice, third is also defective
===========================

I bought 42'LD650...

As it panel had color problems it was replaced a month later. However, the next TV also had the panel issues & was replaced 3 weeks later.

Now the third TV has speaker issues as the voice cracks..

What should I do?

Should I seek damages or Seek a replacement with LED model?

Replacement with Upper model LE5500/LE5300 is not a good option as LD650 has superiror picture quality.

Please advice....I love the TV as it has the best colour quality..

One more thing you need to keep in mind while choosing any LCD is the output facility. For LD650 there is no RCA output, it has optical output. If you are connecting your TV to amp that would be a problem if you have old amp or it does not have optical input. This is sad how come LG folks did not care much on output channels ?? :(

not understood..
what is rca output? you mean co axial?

42LH60YR is really good with great sound. It is good VFM as you won't need to connect external speakers for this one. But unlike the other models you have listed, this TV's USB port will not play .mkv files, though it will play ordinary DivX. In any case, it is always better to go in for a separate HD media player.
By the way, what on earth is a Blue DVD?

i saw the LG 46LD650 tv today in a showroom and the pciture quality was really good. on the same wall were sony ex400 46 and another LG 4o inch .. all of these had the same blu ray input but the 650 definately had more detail and seemd to have better quality.

btw just my opinion :)

thanks
Sachin

Hello All,

My parents just got a Lg 32ld460 from their recent trip to Malaysia, still haven't fixed the LCD..but today itself, unpacked the lcd to see the pq.. its Full HD hodel...don't have the Digital cable connection yet..
but one thing is worth highlight in this Unit is its USB feature.
..I plugged in my 500gb ext Seagate hard-disk, and Vollaaaa,, the tv recognized the disk within seconds, and there it was showing me the list of all the avi's,mkvs, mks, on the lcd...
it plays all the br rips without any issue, for me, it played 99% of the files..it was only 1 MKV which didn't played..
..played a 15gb BR rip of Fight Club and what a quality..mind blowing...
For once, i thought now i don't have to buy the western digital media player to play these rips, however::::
The only thing which is missing is, it CAN NOT PLAY D.T.S. files.. although the movie will run, however, you wont get any sound,it shows --> Audio Not supported.
i also tried connecting the sound output to my Sony FL5D through the Digital Optical Cable, however, still no success...No sound at all for DTS FILES...
Not sure whether its firmware issue or a hardware drawback..

++ Usb feature, amazing pq while playing the hd movies.
-- Does not plays DTS

Regards

Harpreet

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back