Oppo UDP 203 (4k Bluray Player with Dolby Vision support) available for pre-order

prankey

See this:
product details pages of OPPO Digital

Available for USD 549 only on pre-order. Prices may come down to USD 499 as earlier promised.

Is someone coming from US (or going? My BDP 103 has HDMI 2 port bad so need replacement under warranty).

Possibly the most powerful BDP with best PQ and media support.

Feel like pre-ordering immediately :)

Sneak peak of features:
Almost all media support including - CD, SACD, DSD, HDCD, DVD Audio, HD FLAC, MKV upto full bluray remux (3D Frame Sequential MKV may still not be supported)

Connectivity - Atleast 2x USB 3.0 ports, possibly Gigabit LAN, another front USB port (possibly another 3.0 port). 2x HDMI 2.0 Input supporting upto 4k resolution (and hopefully supporting HD Audio as well which wasn't supported on BDP 103). 2x HDMI outputs (1x 2.0 with full 4k and HDR support - possibly Dolby Vision as well, another 1.4 primarily for Audio output on older AV Receivers), 7.1 Audio output, RS232 and IR control ports

Last edited:
Dolby Vision won't be on the player upon release. However, the hardware is in the player so that it can be upgraded to Dolby Vision via software later.

While the HDMI inputs can accept 4K, not sure they can pass HDR. So if you have a Roku for watching streamed HDR content, better to connect it to a HDR capable AVR or TV.

currently out of stock. oppo is playing a dirty game it seems,

Says "Note: This product is designated for North American Customers Only."

why would you think its a game and a dirty one? They have limited available as first batch, so offering as limited pre-order.

Or would it be preferable if they take all the orders in, take the money and take months to deliver?

About the Note: I think they know that people from world over will order it. They just want to set the expectation that its designed and tested keeping North American customers. Better to be upfront about it.

Out of stock?

attachment.php

Yep. They have stopped taking preorders and say out of stock though. Plan to reopen on 16th.

Out of stock?

attachment.php

Looks like a lot, but when you think of world wide enthusiasm not at the least counting the overdrive enthusiastic audiophile, this looks quite less. :)

Anyway, North Americans (lucky buggers!!!!) have always been the first to receive the world's best goodies at best prices, so we have to wait.

On another note, there is a premium to be paid by the UK and European customers for this unit which is sad.

We Indians always have paid double or triple of American prices for older technology, so why crib now? We will do the same here also.

why would you think its a game and a dirty one? They have limited available as first batch, so offering as limited pre-order.

Or would it be preferable if they take all the orders in, take the money and take months to deliver?

About the Note: I think they know that people from world over will order it. They just want to set the expectation that its designed and tested keeping North American customers. Better to be upfront about it.

knowing the demand, the company is certainly playing a game. Create artificial demand by limiting sale of the product. It's a well known tactic that leads to certain section making merry by charging a premium. Picture posted by another member clearly shows that stock is there and proves my point.

about the note and orders: remember this is america & their laws are very strict, they need to save their skin lest someone sues them for millions of dollars. standard corporate guideline being followed here.

anyway, it is my point of view only. you are free to have yours as well

knowing the demand, the company is certainly playing a game. Create artificial demand by limiting sale of the product. It's a well known tactic that leads to certain section making merry by charging a premium. Picture posted by another member clearly shows that stock is there and proves my point.

about the note and orders: remember this is america & their laws are very strict, they need to save their skin lest someone sues them for millions of dollars. standard corporate guideline being followed here.
Well, they allowed orders first to those who signed up for notifications. Even though I was interested and did not buy, seemed fair business practice to me. Abiding by rules is also a good business practice. Protects themselves and customers too.
anyway, it is my point of view only. you are free to have yours as well

Agree. Different viewpoints.

It is reliably learnt that oppo has sold 9600 units of the 203 in US as of yesterday.
oppo has different price points in uk, asia & cis countries.
fyi, price offered in india is going to be 75k and will be available from around 2nd week of jan 2017

Looks like a lot, but when you think of world wide enthusiasm not at the least counting the overdrive enthusiastic audiophile, this looks quite less. :)
Was meant to be a joke. All this talk of 'out of stock' made me search for a pic showing an endless stack of them.

Was meant to be a joke. All this talk of 'out of stock' made me search for a pic showing an endless stack of them.

Understood. But let us look at it from their perspective. The whole video world is watching their first UHD player release, other competitors included. They can't afford to mess the launch.

Congratulations. You might be the first FM on our forum to order. Direct to India or to the USA?

Pricing details please.

They don't ship to India, so having it shipped to a suite at www.myus.com, who will in turn forward the shipment to me.

580$: Player cost + Shipping to the suite
250$: Shipping from the suite to India

And whatever customs will charge. 11k or something I guess.

Importing was necessary as almost all my blu-rays are locked to Region A.

JVB has a region-free mod out for 120$ but buying that and then buying the player in India for 75k is more expensive than importing.

I guess you would be paying almost 70K for the player from US with the US suite and also the Customs charges, what difference would it make if you paid 75K, to mention just 5k more than what you paid to get it from the US. INturn you would get official 2 years India warranty and i believe the 75K Player is Region free and also moves out the hastle of getting it imported from US waiting for so many days.

If I am not mistaken this was out of stock at Oppo website by 13th afternoon itself. So have you ordered it from another website? If yes can you please send link?

I had received a special pre-sale invite which allowed for to place an order for a unit in the first batch:

rts1Gw2.png

It got delivered to my suite today, so I should be receiving it sometime next week.

I guess you would be paying almost 70K for the player from US with the US suite and also the Customs charges, what difference would it make if you paid 75K, to mention just 5k more than what you paid to get it from the US. INturn you would get official 2 years India warranty and i believe the 75K Player is Region free and also moves out the hastle of getting it imported from US waiting for so many days.

The one in India is locked to Region C. It won't be able to play Region A (locked) discs.

And just to be clear, the unit from the U.S is locked to Region A.
There are hardware mods that make the players region-free but I don't want to do that.

So apparently there are reports of micro-stutter when playing 24p. Oppo is sending beta firmware to those who ask for it, which supposedly fixes the issue.

The 'Strip Metadata' feature isn't working well either. Instead of simply stripping the HDR metadata and sending the BT.2020 color space, it's also downgrading to the old Rec.709 color space. There's also no tone-mapping-- something that's needed when coupled with a projector. To be fair, Oppo has advertised this only as a beta feature, and has stated that they're working to have this fixed in a month or two.

I'm wondering if I should've gone for the Panasonic UB900, as stripping the metadata works flawlessly when coupled with an HDFury Integral.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back