Optoma HD65

mandeep

hello everyone,

Does anyone here have/demoed an Optoma HD65, 720p PJ.

I am very keen on buying one for me.The person at Digipro gave me a price of
Rs 58,500+tax. Is this the correct price.I think it used to cost less before the economic slowdown, can anyone mention what was the price.

Infocus X9 is too costly right now .

Hd65 is more VFM as compared to X9.

For X9 there is nothing mentioned (on its website) about the image processing tech. it uses.

Is Digipro the only distributer/importer for Optoma in india?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Mandeep, This is the quote I got from Digipro in August for HD65 and others.

Thanks

Attachments

• CHENNAI DT. 28.08.08..xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 150
Hi Mandeep, This is the quote I got from Digipro in August for HD65 and others.

Thanks
Thanks Only_me
Plz suggest, whether the widescreen projectors like Epson W6,3LCD,Contrast ratio 2000:1 (Rs 48K,inc.tax)EB-W6 and sony VPL-EW5(Rs 70k) http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpl-ew5 ) would serve the Home theatre purpose or not as claimed by them.If Epson W6 is even 70% close,
then i think one can consider Epson W6 for its VFM, and its spare/replacement lamp cost only 12K-14K INR.

Last edited:
Any projector can serve as a Home Theater as long as its resolution is sufficient for your needs. You don't really need a 720p projector at all if you don't plan to view HD material.

Any projector can serve as a Home Theater as long as its resolution is sufficient for your needs. You don't really need a 720p projector at all if you don't plan to view HD material.

But there is a lot of difference(on paper) between an Epson W6 and Epson700.
How many marks would one give both of them out of 100.
Thanks

I would give Epson 700 higher marks as it an excellent home theater projector, i would have gone for the same if i had the budget ...

For home theater i won't recommend the W6 specially if you want to watch 720p wide screen material

I would give Epson 700 higher marks as it an excellent home theater projector, i would have gone for the same if i had the budget ...

For home theater i won't recommend the W6 specially if you want to watch 720p wide screen material

If we want to watch only DVD content then what do you think about its performance, even if it comes close(70-80%) then i think we have a very good VFM product at our hands here.Because by the time HD reaches average household one would be ready to purchase a new PJ.

Dushie as i have read in your other posts, you are also interested in HD65, can you tell what to expect from this model and what not, some people say X9 is better but why.

Plz share your experience, about which other PJ's did you shortlist in the same price range.Which company will give better after sales service like on-site warranty, prompt availability of replacement lamps.

If i purchase from Digipro,first they don't have a dealer in chandigarh its in Ludhiana(100 kms away) and service centre at delhi (350 Kms away), i am just stuck , should i purchase or not(but i like HD65 a lot).

Digipro person told me they can send me straight from SECUNDERABAD,A.P
I can understand if something wrong happens to the PJ while transport who will be responsible and the procedure after such a happening.I know i am being over cautious, but such thoughts can ruin your enjoyment/excitement/decision of purchasing something.

Does anyone know about the exact cost of replacement lamp for HD65

Hi Mandeep, just left you a message.

i have been to digipro recently. i have seen the HD65 in US at a friends place and frankly it was very good indeed. the price is another issue, but i feel its VFM. X9 is definitely brighter but i felt the hd65 is more sharper image. X9 has more pixels visible. If you are going to have a dedicated HT room then with proper light control you can get a very bright and sharp image with the HD65.

Last edited:
I was in digipro 2 days back in secunderabad (AP). Are you sure he quoted 58k. i guess taxs and VAt are extra. i even saw a HD70 demo with Dvd, tata sky. technically the HD65 is very similar to Hd70 + extar lumens. Also saw the optoma panoview projector screens (instaloc k)which are very good. Actually the prices fluctuate with the $ conversion. the HD65 comes with 1 yr lamp warantee.
I was quite impressed by digipro. They have a decent office and a very good demo HT room too.

Does anyone know about the exact cost of replacement lamp for HD65

Rs 18k (i asked them the same question :) )

Last edited:
Well my recommendation will be to go for a 720p projector as even for DVD material it looks good, you can use a upscaling dvd player and enjoy the picture,

720p is usuall called HD Ready and not full HD, so by the time HD reaches average household you will be getting Ultra HD projectors.( Ultra HD uses 7,680 x 4,320 pixels)

Yes, i will be going for a HD65 in January as it is within my budget and is an excellent PJ.

X9 does not have many calibration options and is more brighter, HD 65 produces a much better overall picture and has lot of calibration options.
X9 is more costly than Hd 65 as of today. Hd 65 is very well calibrated out of the box and that is one of the plus point of this machine.

Well i don't know who are these people who are saying X9 is better and if they own one or not. I am a member of other forums and have read posts and discussions on the same, x9 is a new model its cost in US is 1090$.

I have done an extensive research on multiple Pj's which were -

1. Panasonic Ax200u
2. Hitachi Pj TX 300
3. Epson TW700
4. Optoma Hd 65

Out of the above, if going for a Lcd projector i will recommend Tw700, it was costing around 90K + taxes when i inquired and was the best . As it was way over my budget i didn't go for the same.

Hitachi PJ TX300 is a good model, but a old one, reason not to go for the same was again high cost of 90k + taxes also Hitachi is no longer producing this projector most of the dealers don't have stock for the same,

Panasonic Ax200u was a excellent machine, but due to the bulb flickering and other issues i dropped the idea to go for the same.

Optoma HD 65 is a DLP machine, and it will not get dust blobs like lcd projector's, if u go for a lcd projector you will need to clean it from time to time once it gets dusty as dust blobs will appear on the screen, u will not face this issue with DLP machines. If you do not have any issues with rainbow effect which some people have and you can bear little noise of the dlp machine, then you can go for a dlp projector.

lamp warranty vaires with each manufacturer starting from 90 days to 1 year, out of which panasonic was lowest and optoma was highest.

Replacement bulb will cost anywhere between 18 to 25k.

Epson and Optoma both are providing 2 year warranty as of now. mostly the problem comes with the bulb and not the circuitry.

I found Optoma, Epson & Hitachi all 3 to be of good quality and workmanship with very few issues, Panasonic ax200 did have the bulb issues which made me rate it the lowest.

All the views expressed above are my personal findings & research .There are other users in this forum that love their Ax200 and are happy with them i wish them the best.
The prices mentioned are all indicative and were the ones i got couple of months back.

Please go through the below review it will help you understand from where i am coming from it is just one of the links i had gone through during my research

Optoma HD65 Home Theater Projector Review - Overview, Specs

Last edited:
Well my recommendation will be to go for a 720p projector as even for DVD material it looks good, you can use a upscaling dvd player and enjoy the picture,

720p is usuall called HD Ready and not full HD, so by the time HD reaches average household you will be getting Ultra HD projectors.( Ultra HD uses 7,680 x 4,320 pixels)

Yes, i will be going for a HD65 in January as it is within my budget and is an excellent PJ.

X9 does not have many calibration options and is more brighter, HD 65 produces a much better overall picture and has lot of calibration options.
X9 is more costly than Hd 65 as of today. Hd 65 is very well calibrated out of the box and that is one of the plus point of this machine.

Well i don't know who are these people who are saying X9 is better and if they own one or not. I am a member of other forums and have read posts and discussions on the same, x9 is a new model its cost in US is 1090$.

I have done an extensive research on multiple Pj's which were -

1. Panasonic Ax200u
2. Hitachi Pj TX 300
3. Epson TW700
4. Optoma Hd 65

Out of the above, if going for a Lcd projector i will recommend Tw700, it was costing around 90K + taxes when i inquired and was the best . As it was way over my budget i didn't go for the same.

Hitachi PJ TX300 is a good model, but a old one, reason not to go for the same was again high cost of 90k + taxes also Hitachi is no longer producing this projector most of the dealers don't have stock for the same,

Panasonic Ax200u was a excellent machine, but due to the bulb flickering and other issues i dropped the idea to go for the same.

Optoma HD 65 is a DLP machine, and it will not get dust blobs like lcd projector's, if u go for a lcd projector you will need to clean it from time to time once it gets dusty as dust blobs will appear on the screen, u will not face this issue with DLP machines. If you do not have any issues with rainbow effect which some people have and you can bear little noise of the dlp machine, then you can go for a dlp projector.

lamp warranty vaires with each manufacturer starting from 90 days to 1 year, out of which panasonic was lowest and optoma was highest.

Replacement bulb will cost anywhere between 18 to 25k.

Epson and Optoma both are providing 2 year warranty as of now. mostly the problem comes with the bulb and not the circuitry.

I found Optoma, Epson & Hitachi all 3 to be of good quality and workmanship with very few issues, Panasonic ax200 did have the bulb issues which made me rate it the lowest.

All the views expressed above are my personal findings & research .There are other users in this forum that love their Ax200 and are happy with them i wish them the best.
The prices mentioned are all indicative and were the ones i got couple of months back.

Please go through the below review it will help you understand from where i am coming from it is just one of the links i had gone through during my research

Optoma HD65 Home Theater Projector Review - Overview, Specs

Very well summed up!! you can see the hd65 in action below.

YouTube - Optoma hd65

Thanks Dushie and chaxy

certain things are still holding me back from buying

(1) Optoma HD65,will not be available for the same old price of 55K+taxes=61,875/-(As some distributers/dealers here in chandigarh are still selling Projectors at the same pre-slowdown prices, like Epson and Benq),

(2) Lack of dealer/service center in chandigarh are really holding me back from purchasing a very nice product.Because Benq/Epson are providing on-site warranty.

(3) Cost of replacement lamp of HD65 is high and nothing is clear like what will be the price after 2-3 years of purchase, will it be the same or will decrease and its availability.

(4)Lastly, if i purchase direct from SECUNDERABAD, (A. P.), INDIA, how exactly they will send it here and who will bear the transportation costs, and just in case i am not satisfied with what has been sent(like broken piece due to transportation etc) it will be very difficult for the customer in that situation.

(1) Optoma HD65,will not be available for the same old price of 55K+taxes=61,875/-(As some distributers/dealers here in chandigarh are still selling Projectors at the same pre-slowdown prices, like Epson and Benq),

The prices change every month based on the manufacturers pricing and $ conv rates. So the quote given today may not be same a month later.

(2) Lack of dealer/service center in chandigarh are really holding me back from purchasing a very nice product.Because Benq/Epson are providing on-site warranty.

Totally agree, In fact a very important consideration. especially PJs are not very popular in india and hence there is limited support.

(3) Cost of replacement lamp of HD65 is high and nothing is clear like what will be the price after 2-3 years of purchase, will it be the same or will decrease and its availability.
Considering that someone like me would spend 15 hrs a week watching movies, makes for approx 750 hrs a yr. That means the lamp easily lasts 3 yrs. in my office we have a DLP pj which is running as good as new for last 2.5 yrs. we use it atleast 6 hrs daily. this should not be a consideration as same applies to all brands (dlp or lcd)

(4)Lastly, if i pzurchase direct from SECUNDERABAD, (A. P.), INDIA, how exactly they will send it here and who will bear the transportation costs, and just in case i am not satisfied with what has been sent(like broken piece due to transportation etc) it will be very difficult for the customer in that situation.
you need to talk to the vendor how he intends to transport it. I would suggest you hand pick it if you can travel to hyd. last yr i brought a benq dlp Pj for a friend from dubai. i had the same doubt, hence i removed my laptop and put the pj in laptop bag :)

The prices change every month based on the manufacturers pricing and $ conv rates. So the quote given today may not be same a month later.
But this is a huge difference,and they might be having some old stock to give at old prices(my guess)

(4)Lastly, if i pzurchase direct from SECUNDERABAD, (A. P.), INDIA, how exactly they will send it here and who will bear the transportation costs, and just in case i am not satisfied with what has been sent(like broken piece due to transportation etc) it will be very difficult for the customer in that situation.
you need to talk to the vendor how he intends to transport it. I would suggest you hand pick it if you can travel to hyd. last yr i brought a benq dlp Pj for a friend from dubai. i had the same doubt, hence i removed my laptop and put the pj in laptop bag :)
I have sent an email to digipro....waiting for the reply

Totally agree, In fact a very important consideration. especially PJs are not very popular in india and hence there is limited support.

Considering that someone like me would spend 15 hrs a week watching movies, makes for approx 750 hrs a yr. That means the lamp easily lasts 3 yrs. in my office we have a DLP pj which is running as good as new for last 2.5 yrs. we use it atleast 6 hrs daily. this should not be a consideration as same applies to all brands (dlp or lcd)

This the reply i got from Digipro for all above concerns:

Dear Mr. Mandeep,

Warm Greetings!!!!!!!!!

As per your query I am trying to answer as follow

1. Let me tell you about HD65 with high 4000:1 contrast ratio, just 2 kg weight,3000hr lamp life in the present price it is much competitive with other brand.

2. We have service center in Delhi which is near to your place or at any time our service center is ready to serve you,with this globalization arena please don't bother about service center I assure you you will get best service from our side at any part of world.

3.)Present Lamp Price for HD65 is Rs.12,000+ Tax, regarding Lamp cost after two years , let me tell a truth no projector companyee in the world have thr own lamp it's come from other lamp manufacturer like Philips , so at this point it is very difficult to tell what will be price after 2-3 years, but I can assure you will get lamp from us in any time with competative price.

4.) Finally regarding transportation we will send machine in DLF courier on COD DD basis (you have give DD after receiving the material form DLF people ) ,the charges have to bear by customer it will hardly come around Rs.250-300.

5.) Regarding material damage , till now we had not got any complent like this if at all any such unfortunate come it will be come under warranty period so no need to worry apart from this we are providing 1 year warranty against Fire+Burglary+Breakdown so, even after receing material for 1 year no need to worry.

"with this globalization arena" I didn't understand the second point fully, how they will provide that.

"Regarding material damage" : 5th point again how

What do u say Chaxy/dushie? what to do

Last edited:
I would agree to what they have replied. These guys have been in business for a while and they are authorized by optoma themselves. Hency no reason to worry i guess. I am also toying with the idea of hd65 now :)

I would agree to what they have replied. These guys have been in business for a while and they are authorized by optoma themselves. Hency no reason to worry i guess. I am also toying with the idea of hd65 now :)

Dear Mr. Mandeep,

Warm Greetings!!!!!!!!!

As per your query I am trying to answer as follow

1. Let me tell you about HD65 with high 4000:1 contrast ratio, just 2 kg weight,3000hr lamp life in the present price it is much competitive with other brand.
Over the telephone you the quoted price as 58,500/-+tax, why this change? (The price was for bulk purchasing)

2. We have service center in Delhi which is near to your place or at any time our service center is ready to serve you,with this globalization arena please don't bother about service center I assure you you will get best service from our side at any part of world.

would i have to take Projector to delhi (i.e is there carry-in warranty) (Yes or you could send the machine through courior IN 2 Pay basic)

3.)Present Lamp Price for HD65 is Rs.12,000+ Tax, regarding Lamp cost after two years , let me tell a truth no projector companyee in the world have thr own lamp it's come from other lamp manufacturer like Philips , so at this point it is very difficult to tell what will be price after 2-3 years, but I can assure you will get lamp from us in any time with competative price.

How much is the tax on replacement lamps? You mean that compatible philips lamps can be purchased from chandigarh itself from any dealer, can you provide information about any such dealer plz. ( tax will be thr we have dealers for lamp or can purchase any where)

4.) Finally regarding transportation we will send machine in DLF courier on COD DD basis (you have give DD after receiving the material form DLF people ) ,the charges have to bear by customer it will hardly come around Rs.250-300.

So, in future this will be our only physical link between you and me (Yes)

5.) Regarding material damage , till now we had not got any complent like this if at all any such unfortunate come it will be come under warranty period so no need to worry apart from this we are providing 1 year warranty against Fire+Burglary+Breakdown so, even after receing material for 1 year no need to worry.

you will provide refurbished/repaired piece or a new one ( AS PER WARRANTY/INSURANCE POLICY)

Lines in Red:what i asked digipro again
Lines in Green:answer from digipro

But it stil leaves a lot to be answered

Mandeep, What is the landed price (incl of all taxes) that he is quoting? The answer he has given is confusing.

Mandeep, What is the landed price (incl of all taxes) that he is quoting? The answer he has given is confusing.
The same u mentioned earlier 68K all inclusive........chaxy what do u say now, ......i am in a fix, its all getting out of budget
where is Dushie?

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back