Original Flac spectrum compare with 320, 256 till 64 kbps

amit11

Hi Friends,

Out of curiosity I had read on the forum regarding spek software for viewing the spectrum of an audio file.

I was amazed to see the difference between various mp3 files having different bit rates. I have made a single image having side-by-side view of those spectrums. Includes spectrum view of original flac, 320 kbs to 64 kbps all converted from the original flac. I know you all may be already knowing but just thought to share. Thanks.

Regards,
Amit.

Attachments

• Comparison_Flac_320_256_192_128_64.jpg
    Comparison_Flac_320_256_192_128_64.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 124
I don't see any real difference between FLAC and MP3@320 kbps.
With 128 kbps we see some kind of high frequency filter being used to remove the high end. The filter is at about 14-16000 Hz. Most people are deaf in this range.
So whether it really sounds different or not is anyone's guess only.

64 kbps is noticeably poor in quality, because the chopping happens at significantly low frequencies (everyone can make out).

I don't see any real difference between FLAC and MP3@320 kbps.

My experience is a little different.

In casual listening circumstances, the differences are marginal and those differences do not take anything away from the enjoyment of music. Sweetspot attentive listening VS listening while engaged in other activities.

The kind of music also makes a difference. For most popular music, the recording levels are pretty high and most musical information in the extreme ends of the spectrum are compressed and inaccurate as a consequence. With music like these, it does not really matter so much. 320kpbs and flac files are all okay..In some cases people prefer the 320 kpbs over the flac or cd depending upon the system which it is played since the lower bit rate masks some of the recording problems and makes the sound more pleasant.

For well recorded music, especially music that are acoustic in nature, if you tend to listen to them using revealing music systems, the difference is pretty significant. Very apparent and important if you are an attentive listener. If you are this kind of a listener, stay with flac ( redbook bitrate or higher )

For any kind of music, avoid anything below 256 kpbs..

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back