PAN PT-AE4000 without b & w under 1.20k

Hi all,

AE4000 available for foll rates in mumbai:

With B & W (1,70000/-) 1 lac seventy thousand rupees

Without B & W (1,11000/-) 1 lac eleven thousand rupees

Are these good prices???

The without B&W price is very good considering the way $$ is moving against the INR. Unless the prices have been revised recently in US.

Hi all,

Are these good prices???

The truth is that one can bring a high end laptop(like an Apple Air) -which may cost more than a projector-exempt from duty, and they know it. If you can talk your way through, it really is not a difficult task. What you want to avoid is to bring a mountain of baggage and then expect to talk your way through! This is now getting to be more and more difficult as airlines are now lowering the boom on passengers.

You carried yours? I was actually hoping for someone who personally did that to comment on here. I didn't think it was possible given how big the unit is. Did you bring it on-board with the original boxing & packaging or did you do anything differently?
Yes, I carried my AE4000 in my carry on baggage. It is impossible to carry it in the original packaging. Do you have any idea how big the AE4000 box is? Anyhow, I simply kept the projector in a carry on bag without any packaging. It barely fit the baf, the AE4000 is a pretty large projector.

Also, were you just coming back from a visit or were you relocating back to India when you did this?
I was just returning from a visit to the US.

Its fine if you can get away with it by carrying it as hand baggage. But know this, all handbaggage are now x-ray screened these days after you alight from the aircraft and pass immigration. Customs do ask you to open it if they think electronics are there. They made me open and show them my Canon DSLR. Only after i told them it was my regular camera they let me go without duty. Fyi and to be careful thats all. This was in Chennai airport.
This is bad news! Can someone confirm whether same has started in Delhi airport? I remember carrying my Wii console in original packing in handbag without any problems 3 years ago.
I did not face anything like this at the Delhi airport a couple of months ago. As far as customs is concerned, there a several factors involved.

1. Where you are coming from. The customs are generally not very stringent about checking flights from the US and Europe. On the other hand flights from Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesa etc. are scrutinized much more carefully.
2. If you are travelling with your family, then too the customs does not check much.
3. They are looking out for the 'carrier' type of person. Make of that what you may. Things like how you are dressed, your behaviour etc.

The truth is that one can bring a high end laptop(like an Apple Air) -which may cost more than a projector-exempt from duty, and they know it.
That is because, you are legally entitled to bring in 'one' laptop (irrespective of price), 'one' still camera, 'one' video camera & 'one' cellphone without being charged any customs duty. This is in addition to the Rs. 30,000 exemption per adult.

That is because, you are legally entitled to bring in 'one' laptop (irrespective of price), 'one' still camera, 'one' video camera & 'one' cellphone without being charged any customs duty. This is in addition to the Rs. 30,000 exemption per adult.

and pray tell me where did u get this info?

A Resident means a person holding a valid passport issued under the Passports Act, 1967 and normally residing in India
I. For passengers coming from countries other than
(a) Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Hongkong or China.
(b) Pakistan by Land Route
Duty Free allowance for bonafide baggage consisting of

For passengers of age

10 years and above

Used personal effects (excluding jewellery) required for satisfying daily necessities of life... Free

Other articles carried in person or in accompanied baggage
(a) if Stay abroad for more than three days

Valued upto Rs.25000/-

Note:
1. The free allowance shall not be pooled with the free allowance of any other passenger.
2. The free allowance is not applicable to the following goods:
1. Fire arms.
2. Cartridges of fire arms exceeding 50.
3. Cigarettes exceeding 200 or cigars exceeding 50 or tobacco exceeding 250 gms.
4. Alcoholic liquor or wines in excess of 2 litres.
5. Gold or silver, in any form, other than ornaments.
3. One laptop computer (notebook computer) over and above the said free allowances mentioned above is also allowed duty free if imported by any passenger of the age of 18 years and above
4. The goods over and above the free allowances shall be chargeable to customs duty @ 35% + an education cess of 3% i.e. to say the effective rate is 36.05%.
5. Alcoholic drinks and tobacco products imported in excess of free allowance are chargeable to custom duty at the rates applicable to their commercial imports as per the Customs tariff Act.
6. Import of Indian currency is prohibited. However, in the case of passengers normally resident of India who are returning from a visit abroad Indian currency upto Rs. 7500 is allowed.
7. Incase the value of one item exceeds the duty free allowance, the duty shall be calculated only on the excess of such amount.

and pray tell me where did u get this info?

Valued upto Rs.25000/-

3. One laptop computer (notebook computer) over and above the said free allowances mentioned above is also allowed duty free if imported by any passenger of the age of 18 years and above
I stand corrected regarding the duty free allowance value of Rs. 25000. Other than that, I am not sure what is it that you are questioning in my post. I asssure you, that no duty will be charged on 'ONE' still camera, 'ONE' video camera and 'ONE' cellphone that you are carrying with you.

I stand corrected regarding the duty free allowance value of Rs. 25000. Other than that, I am not sure what is it that you are questioning in my post. I asssure you, that no duty will be charged on 'ONE' still camera, 'ONE' video camera and 'ONE' cellphone that you are carrying with you.

that depends on the mood of the customs officials. only the laptop is duty free above the allowance of 25k + 2l. liqor+ 2 cartons cigarettes. beyond that we have no rights regarding the cellphone, camera etc.

what i am saying is if u bring in a new camera say the latest DSLR model and the customs official says u have to pay duty because it is a brand new camera,
costing 50k, which is more thanthe 25k allowance, then u really will have to cough up the duty 0f 36% approx. but if u bring in a top of the range gaming laptop costing 3 lakhs and the customs officer asks u to pay duty u can tell him to go climb a tree.

the fact that the customs are not very strict now a days and are usually not bothering us about these items of daily use, doesnot imply that we have the right to import one cellphone, one camera etc.

i am just giving the law....not questioning u are any thing. members can take their own risks. nothing personal here.

no offence meant whatsoever.

I don't know if this is still in effect (I don't see why it shouldn't be) but, what Sanjay said is absolutely right. The Government allows you to carry 1 Laptop, Camera and as far as I remember 2 cellphones which is all exempt from the 25k limit.

All this was institued around the time when IT picked up in India and travelling abroad on business went through the roof.

People that I know including engineers in my company routinely carry upto 2 laptops without any issues. Infact many times they leave here with one laptop and bring down another laptop with no issues. Same goes for phones and cameras.

no offence meant whatsoever.
None taken. But, believe you me, I have openly and very visibly brought very expensive video and still cameras with me on numerous occassions and have not once been stopped or questioned regarding them. I don't have any links, but I distinctly remember reading a few years ago that 'ONE' still camera, 'ONE' video camera and 'ONE' cellphone is permitted to be brought in by an adult. The only catch maybe, that you may have to show that it is being personally used. In other words if the cameras are brand new box packed, then they may be able to question it and charge duty.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Are these good prices???

Any idea how the B&W purchases are honoured during the warranty period should the repairs be needed? Is it a long drawn affair? Should one send the PJ overseas for repair at one's own cost?

Now that the AE5000/7000 is out, are there any good deals on the AE4000? with Local Warranty and Without.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back