Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

I'm travelling to the US on the 18th & plan to get the Oppo 103 & the Onkyo 616. Will just drop the oppo if the 220 remains unsold. Cheers!

Any advantages of the Oppo 103 over the Pana 220? Goin gto BKK next week, so plan to buy from there.

I have to yet decide on the BDP... My only concern is that I dont want to get stuck with a region fixed BDP and hence Pana 220 seems like a good option.

At the price its selling for the Panasonic is really worth it.I'm just a layman & was intd in getting the oppo since I'm upgrading my entire home theatre (projector, av receiver) so thought I'll get this too once & for all.

You can get an idea from here though:

Do you "really" need that new Oppo?

The Panasonic 220 can be made region free using the firmware upgrade for approx 2k from FirmwareInfo.com • Index page (will probably do it now) & I'm sure the same will follow for the Pana 230 too.

Would appreciate some help.

Has anyone managed to skip chapters with their T220 while playing mkv and Mpeg4 files from an external hard drive? It says this feature is not available when I press chapter skip on the remote. I could get chapter skip with the same files when I played them on my friends Pioneer BDP450. (That plays Xvids also.) which means the file does contain chapters. I searched quite a bit on this thread but couldn't find what I was looking for or some way to overcome the problem. My player is region free by the way.

Does the region free modded T220 play Xvids from an external hard drive?

If any of you guys have discussed either of the above earlier in the thread my apologies and request you to reply with a link to the relevant post.
Thank you

What is the difference between BDT 220 and BDT 230 ? 230(114 USD) is much lesser than 220(186 USD) in amazon. It also has built in Wi Fi and 3D BR player.

As yet there is no info on model 230 region free firmware on firmwareinfo.com. But it may appear soon enough.

Hey guys I am having a problem with my BDP220. Its not playing DTS-MA audio via by HDD.....what settings I need to change to hear audio from DTS-MA file.
Right now its showing picture but no audio, I dont mind even if BDT220 donot decode DTS-MA but it should atleast play the file as DTS.
Please help me out

Yes it is an MKV file. Does this means I cant get DTS-MA audio through my BDT220 via HDD.
Is there setting where I can make my AVR to decode the audio and not my bluray player.

Last edited:
My Toshiba plays some mkv with DTSMA,some with no Video supported format plays only audio from Hard disc.

Yes it is an MKV file. Does this means I cant get DTS-MA audio through my BDT220 via HDD.
Is there setting where I can make my AVR to decode the audio and not my bluray player.

May be your player can't bitstream hd audio when played from hdd.

any reduction in price for the 220, now that the 230 is launched??

Will still go for the 220...Pls share info where to get it in Mumbai/Pune..

In case have to buy through ebay what should be the region ideal to go for?
Depends upon where you source your BDs from. If US, then go for Region A, if UK/Europe, go for Region B. If India or downloading, then it does not matter.

This can be made region free at a cost of 2500. Otherwise the ideal will be region A (if you gonna source your BDs from US) and region B (if you gonna source your BDs from UK/Europe). Normally Region B ones are also 220V/50HZ, where Region A ones are (110V/60hz), which needs a adapter which is readily available and does not cost much.

Back