Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Review

I brought Panasonic-bdt 220 from National market Bangalore for Rs. 8500, the dealer quoted Rs. 8800, bargained and got it to that price.

I brought Panasonic-bdt 220 from National market Bangalore for Rs. 8500, the dealer quoted Rs. 8800, bargained and got it to that price.

Lovely...

Congratulations on the great deal.

Please share the details of the dealer. I will want to order as well..

The biggest problem with this player is,

"it wont let you select the subtitle file for downloaded files".

Very very irritating.

I specifically don't remember the name of the dealer, walk around and get the quote from multiple guys, speak to the guy who is most friendly and tell him that my friend purchased this for 8.5K, that is how I played it out.

The biggest problem with this player is,

"it wont let you select the subtitle file for downloaded files".

Very very irritating.

Even S490 don't allow subtitle to be played for regular formats like AVI etc. But if it is an MKV, then it plays the movie with the subtitle. So why not convert the file into MKV and include the subtitle while converting? It might help.

Last edited:
Even S490 don't allow subtitle to be played for regular formats like AVI etc. But if it is an MKV, then it plays the movie with the subtitle. So why not convert the file into MKV and include the subtitle while converting? It might help.

I have files in MKV and mp4, still it doesnt pick up the subtitle or let me choose it.

How do you do it ?

S490- allows to choose the subtitle after it begins to play the movie, which are in MKV format. You just need to press the "subtitle" button.

Apart from that there's another option as part of the main menu to choose subtitle.

Please note it doesnot allow to play subtitle from any of the original movie formats like AVI, MP4 etc. Only container formats like MKV, M2TS etc can be used to play subtitle.

^ Its weird. I have Sony s380 and I can play subtitles flawlessly(only SRT though). Only format MP4 doesn't allow to play subs.

once again- file name of both(movie & sub) needs to be exact same.

For MP4 files, here is what i do - i use MKVMERGE to mux mp4 and sub file. Now it is MKV and playble in player along with subtitle.

Gurujee.. There is one more issue with S490, it fails to play AVI files most of the time, so I invariably convert them to MKV.

There is a small issue with MKV as well, the FWD and REV doesnot work :( . May be it's because most of the movies are smaller in size (I normally download small files upto 700mbs only). The movies which I want to view in good quality, I normally buy the BDs or atleast the DVDs. Only the timepass ones are being downloaded.

Anyway this thread is for BDT220, so we shall stop going Out of topic and discuss S490.

I agree that it is costlier. But you don't have to buy the player itself. If you already have a player, you can buy the firmware for 100 + 5 for shipping internationally.

TPS - www.tps.uk.com - panasonic - MultiRegion - Panasonic All Zone Multi Region Code Free Blu-ray Player Recorder Firmware Upgrade

Even then it is costly, but at least there is an option.

I have always maintained that buying two players - one for Region A and one for Region B is the best workable solution with no dependence on anyone.

I agree that it is costlier. But you don't have to buy the player itself. If you already have a player, you can buy the firmware for 100 + 5 for shipping internationally.

I just called up TPS and I am told that the BDT no don't get modded with a disc and so its not going to be just the firmware that can be bought. I need to buy the modded player itself.

I am going to ask for a quote, so I know what would be the landed cost. In case anyone is interested, we can bundle it together..

Each and every BDP manufactured and which rolls out of the factory is region locked for the region it is intended for. Some (very few) BDPs can be made region free later either by hardware mod chip or firmware (software) update.

My denon 2012 bdp plays all the movies especially all region dvds that bd220 or a ps3 can't play.
Maybe by default it comes with region free update.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back