Panasonic TH-P50GT50D to get from Dubai - Help is needed;;;

bhagwan

Hello All !
I need to get this from Dubai :-
Panasonic Plasma GT Series - TH-P50GT50D
Can any person guide me as to where in Dubai I can get this ?
What the price will be ?
Is it worth the difference in Price ? Translates into effort;
What about Indian Customs here in Mumbai ?
All help & suggestions shall be much appreciated....

GT series | Panasonic

This is the link for what I need !

Hello All !
I need to get this from Dubai :-
Panasonic Plasma GT Series - TH-P50GT50D
Can any person guide me as to where in Dubai I can get this ?
What the price will be ?
Is it worth the difference in Price ? Translates into effort;

GT series | Panasonic

This is the link for what I need !

Buddy, try to buy plasma locally here as warranty & service would be of major consideration.

I had bought a 50VT20 last year and the panel has shown problems(Vertical green line) within completion of the year. Luckily i have a warranty hence it will get repaired/replaced otherwise it would have been just junk.

On the other side getting a plasma from dubai is not an easy task bcoz-

Plasmas needs to be handled more carefully than LCDs- cargo handlers cannot be expected to distinguish between plasmas and LCDs
Weight will be approx 30-35 kg
50" TVs are not checked in by all airlines due to size
Customs might charge duty on the value of the set in India
Issues pertaining to availability of international Warranty in the local service centre

If you need peace of mind then buy a lower varaint maybe ST or UT but buy locally.

Buddy, try to buy plasma locally here as warranty & service would be of major consideration.

If you need peace of mind then buy a lower varaint maybe ST or UT but buy locally.

Sir,
I use a 40 or 42 inch already.
I want the GT & no other.
There is no Grey Market Supplier that carries it.
So, I am forced to do this.
In India the price is 120K & Dubai is 65K [I think]
Therefore, I wanted to take the 'risk' !

However, thanks for your concern - It is appreciated by me.

In some forum I had read that Sharaf DG has started shipping to India.
No idea about the authenticity.

Most airlines accept 40" LCD/LED due to less size and weight. Such a TV can be checked in as accompanied baggage and not even charged if the total checked in weight does not exceed (read this as no other checked in bag).

But Airlines will not accept a 42" plasma also because the gross weight is nearly 30 kg. For a 50" plasma, the gross weight and the size is even more, nearly 37 kg. But they will accept it on payment of fees for excess/oversized baggage. Assuming that 12kg excess baggage, Emirates airline will charge as follows:

- pre-booked online rate for 10kg to 15 kg: AED 660
- at the airport: AED 55 per kg

Source: Baggage Allowance Calculator | Baggage | Emirates

Assuming AED 500, the added cost is INR 7500. But there is a real danger that airline may refuse it under the pretext of being oversized equipment. In that case you may be charged full baggage rate for entire weight.

Secondly airlines take responsibility of loss of baggage. For damages, claims have to be filed. This could be a long and tedious process.

Next is customs. Customs will charge duty as follows:

assuming accompanied baggage:
- provided that there are no other "dutiable" goods, TV is purchased at 65K, then value as per customs = base value Rs. 65000 + freight/forwarding charges Rs. 7800 (@12%) - Rs. 35000 (duty free allowance) = Rs. 37800
- duty @35% plus 3% cess = Rs. 13627

Your landed cost = Rs. 65,000 + Rs. 7,500 + Rs. 13,627 = Rs. 86,127.

assuming unaccompanied baggage:
- provided that there are no other "dutiable" goods, TV is purchased at 65K, then value as per customs = base value Rs. 65000 + freight/forwarding charges Rs. 7800 (@12%)= Rs. 72800
- duty @35% plus 3% cess = Rs. 26245.

Your landed cost = Rs. 65,000 + Rs. 7,500 + Rs. 26,245 = Rs. 98,745.

And note that customs may use their own valuation of the TV and refuse your value.

Admittedly this is cheaper than Rs. 120,000 but you will be without warranty.

Basically, it is choice between risk and money saved.

Last edited:
I agree with Mr Kix. The customs folks are pretty smart and they will just query it on their laptops on the Indian price and charge you 35% on it. Even if you read the government regulations - no where does it talk about the valuation of the product for duty purposes. from what I commonly hear, the valuation is not the actual cost of the product but its cost as sold in India.

Secondly the TV is so huge you cannot escape customs unlike say a camcorder that might cost you 50K but you can easily get it in without customs.

Thirdly of course you can always bribe them with 5-10K.

But overall I think for something this big, it may not be worth the risk considering you get a two year warranty on the panel in India

If I remember right aren't you the person who was selling some DAC or DAD or something like that for 175K or near abouts? Surely cost aint a factor for you:yahoo:

I aint no expert on Dubai electronics but I was a gold member of Emirates flying via Dubai almost every month and electronics atleast in the Dubai airport was way more expensive than US. Considering this TV costs around 60K in US - I seriously doubt Dubai would be anywhere close by - I could be wrong though:mad:

Hello All !

I dont know much about the shopping in Dubai bit but I had got my TV from Bangkok so would like to share my customs and the airline baggage story.

Most airlines allow 25/30 kgs as checked in luggage and my airline had a 25 kg limit. The TV(in its box) itself weighed 25kgs and my rucksack added 7 kgs to the load. So there I was checking in two items- my TV and my rucksack with a combined weight of 32 kgs. The kind lady at the counter suggested that I transfer some of the stuff from my bag to hand baggage so the the weight comes down to the late 20s which is acceptable. Stuffing my already bulging hand bag with a few kgs more of stuff I brought down the weight of the checked in to 28 kgs and then had the TV checked in at the over-sized baggage section without any extra payment.

There were at least ten other TVs that were being brought in by the same flight and my 43 inch Plasma happened to be the largest what with its extra large sized packaging but there was no complain from the airline so I dont think your 50 incher would face any problem too.

When I landed at Mumbai I decided to walk through the green channel as the cost of the TV was below 35k but the custom officials asked me to present my documents at their counter. And then started their negotiations.. They wanted 7k and then reduced it to 5 k and then they brought it down to 'whatever I want to give'!! All this while I had a smile on my face and told them that no way would I be paying anything extra as my total is below the permissible limit of 35k. The key here is to appear friendly and non confrontational. After 5 minutes of them trying to haggle they let me go with a smile as the line behind me just kept growing and they didn't want others in line to get affected by my 'no payment' attitude which would have been bad for the 'business' !!

One thing to remember though- my TV was barely able to fit in the backseat of my car so any size above 43 inch would require a different mode of transportation to and from the airport. Oh and another thing - The shopkeeper at Bangkok deals with lots of Indian Customers and had informed me that the Indian customs are withing their right to charge a fee on TV sizes above 32 inches and the charges vary from around 3k for 43 inch to 7k for 50 inchers but then again its a grey area which I got lucky with !

Happy Hunting !

If your moving from 40" and buying from Dubai or Singapore then i would suggest buying the 65VT50D,65GT50D plasma or the 64" Samsung E8000,E7000 plasma. 50 inch can be small unless you watch it from a really small room.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back