Parasound ZDAC any review?

Maxprocrj

Parasound ZDAC

Hi there............

Anybody has any experience with Parasound zdac?

Last edited:
Hi Maxprocrj,

Incase you dont get feedback on this from someone who has heard the product, youi could consider establishing Parasound's "House Sound."

IMHO, their House sound is lean and detailed without being harsh.

The relatively lean bass results in low SLAM and possibly PRAT also.

Would be a good match for a system that has heavy bass and / or room LF problems..

The Parasound House Sound is currently quite popular, and its fundamental aspects are shared (Once again IMHO) by brands like Ayre, Classe, Benchmark etc ...

If you disagree with my pointers, please free free to completely ignore them :)

Never heard the dac discussed, but have heard a Benchmark DAC1 & its 'house sound' as aptly put by FM Indianears above is also rather unappealing musicality wise, atleast to my ears.

Being detailed is one thing but being lifeless is altogether another ball game, to which I do not relate at all :cool:

I've never heard it personally but read several good things about it on the net...Also got a wholehearted recommendation for it from one of our resident gurus here...Bhagwan...

You may wanna ping him...hopefully he sees this thread and posts his views in detail...

I've never heard it personally but read several good things about it on the net...Also got a wholehearted recommendation for it from one of our resident gurus here...Bhagwan...

You may wanna ping him...hopefully he sees this thread and posts his views in detail...

Sir,
Kind words.
Thanks...
I am not so sure I deserve them, but to get to the DAC.
I have heard the 'proto' version a few years back.
The Designer is known to me.
I have used his room correction & DAC in the past & have liked it a lot.
This DAC is developed by Holm & the same person developed a part of the Jeff Rowland DAC - Digital Section.

Basically for 500 odd US$'s this DAC is a super VFM Product.
I suggest that all persons that are in this price point game - do listen to this machine.
I personally like its sound..

Product Lines > Parasound Z > Zdac - Digital to Analog Converter
Parasound Zdac | InnerFidelity
CONCLUSION
A DAC is far more than merely the sum of its parts. There's no shortage of new releases using all the latest chips and packing all the latest buzzwords. But that doesn't mean they compete with the real deal---there's just no substitute for proper design and implementation. Making purchasing decisions based purely on chips and specs has a good chance of leaving a person disappointed. The Parasound Zdac is a great example of this, it doesn't use a cutting edge DAC chip or USB receiver, yet it manages to transcend the limits of what I expect from the average $500 DAC.

In summary, the Zdac looks, feels, and sounds like it could be a $1000 unit. It certainly didn't feel out of place in my rack with numerous competitors in that range. As a DAC, the Zdac offers exemplary performance with practically zero downside unless we count the lack of support for sample rates above 96kHz. As a headphone amp it could use a few tweaks, but still manages to sound excellent with the right headphones. Do I recommend it? Yes! Rather strongly at that.
These are reviews - so not to go by what they say - but for the price - what you get - imho is too good.
Less chance of going wrong with it.
If I had to buy a 500 US $'s DAC = this would be my choice !
The Zdac replaced a more expensive Bladelius DAC and the system sounded noticeably better with the Parasound in place. I have to agree with Michael Lavorgna when he called the Bladelius unit somewhat lean---the Zdac seemed to add a good dose of oomph and gusto where prior there had been very little.
Again - quotes from the Review - I would take it with a 'pinch of salt' !

Re: Parasound ZDAC

It's in the stereophile recommended components on 2013

I think its Sad if a Local agent sellls such a product without even an audition to his customers.

Usually HiFi Audio components provide a 50% margin ( Dealer Cost price to Retail price) and stock and customer auditions are expected for this kinda margins ....

The D & D has 'stock' I assume.
The issue is that most local dealers do not want to carry any stock & do not want to offer any demo - they just want the 25 % margin without doing any work;
This is where the sale actually suffers.
imho - so I have been told to understand;;

Catalog Sales men..... and then they lament that local audiophiles dont buy from them, but simply survey the 'net for the lowest price.:sad:

Catalog Sales men..... and then they lament that local audiophiles dont buy from them, but simply survey the 'net for the lowest price.:sad:

In this case, I am on your page.

There is no stock & no demo.
Therefore, if you can source it 'direct' do g for it.

To get back to the DAC;
Has it been purchased ?

Pics ?

How does it sound ?

Cables used ? USB - Power etc ?

Details shall be appreciated..

All the Best !

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back