Pictures of completed Pass F5 clone

Hi Anil,

Looks great.:clapping:

Would love to listen to it.

Have you tried it with the Altec?

Regards
Rajiv

This really looks great. Congratulations !
A generic questions..since this is going to generate lots of heat which you want dissipated outside, does it make sense to have the internals painted black..since silver will reflect all the heat back and black will absorb it hence dissipate it outside ?

^^^
i think the above is probably a trail fit
Finishing/anodise etc might be still left

@anil
superb
just one question though
have you screwed on the 4 bus bars (that hold the bottom,top and front and back plates) to the sides of the heatsinks too?

also what was the final dimensions of the case you ended up with?

Last edited:
Awesome.

Case looks superb. Very luxurious layout. Any special reason why the torroid is at the front, please share.

And please do post a review after completion, pre and post burn-in. Thanks.

Looking good there! How hot do the sinks get, say after running for an hour? Not that it should be a big deal in B'lore, I suppose...

P.S: Any reason why you went with the Peter Daniel's boards as opposed to cviller's or suds'?

looks great. how much effort/ money?

Thanks for your comments. The costs as far as I remember are as below:

a. Transformer .. ~ 3.5k
b. Heatsinks ... 2K
c. Chassis .. 3.5K
d. Electronics .. ~4K
e. Other hw .. ~2K
f. misc .. 2K

Total ... 17K and on top of this, time spent by me .. invaluable :)

This cannot be attempted by a first time DIYer. This needs to be done by a person who has done good amount of electronic DIY before and also who has a good understanding of the workings of this design. It is not one more kit that can be assembled. This has high currents, high heat and above all intricate setup and can also blow one's speakers with improper setup.

I don't mean to discourage hobbyists here, but one needs to know what he is getting into before hand.

Cheers.

@Rajiv - thanks. I have not tested them with Altecs yet. I need one more Active Crossover, which is on order.

@Magma .. Thanks. Yes, the bus bars are mounted. The enclosure is not yet completed. I might get it anodized or powder-coated. Also I have a dirty feeling that I am going to keep this enclosure in perpetual beta and keep housing different designs of Mr. Nelson Pass in this enclosure, without ever being done finally.

@arj - your point is right about black coating. I need to think about these in a little while.

@grubyhalo - Thanks. I was not particular about any board, but suds boards were unsuitable for the amp pcb. The tracks are too thin and the component orientation is not right. I used his power supply PCB.

Keep asking questions. No problem. I will answer all that I know.

Cheers.

Looking good there! How hot do the sinks get, say after running for an hour? Not that it should be a big deal in B'lore, I suppose...

P.S: Any reason why you went with the Peter Daniel's boards as opposed to cviller's or suds'?

The amp gets to around 40 deg C after 2 hours at full rated bias voltage of 600mv. My heatsink efficiency and the way they are deployed seems to be very effective. I can keep my hands on it without burning myself for quite a bit of time.

Hi, great job with the amp.
Just like to know which output transistors have been used? Did you have any issues with the heatsinking before it settled to 40 deg? And where did you get the heatsinks?

Vivek

Hats Off Anil, Super !:licklips::licklips:

Hope I can listen to it with the Altecs, when I am in BLR.

Regards

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back