Planning to buy 42 HD ready plasma

karthikarthi

This is my first post, but I have been viewing this forum for a long time and even made purchase based on expert opinion provided in the forum.

Now I am planning to buy a 42 inch Plasma. I have shortlisted:

I have not bargained. Listed are the price quoted by showroom.
Panasonic 42X30D price(Rs 39000 in Chennai Vasnth & Co, 40000 from Panasonic showroom)
Samsung PS43D450(Rs 41000)
LG PT350R(Rs 36790)

Searching the forum, many suggested best plasma as Panasonic>Samsung>LG. The screen of Panasonic 42X30D looks grey in color in stand by mode. but others are charcoal black. Will it make any difference? Buying this TV for my living room. Main purpose is to watch movies and sports(no gaming). Planning to connect TV via LAN to make use of content available in PC(laptop)/Internet. In future planning to buy a good sound system like THX certified Denon+polk or Onkyo.

Cons: Not able to stretch beyond 45,000 Rs so settling for HD ready and my room size makes me to settle at 42 inch.

Experts suggest me which TV I should go for.

DO NOT EVER GO FOR "HD-READY" sets ..... these are ONLY upto 720p resolution. Instead go for Full-HD which is 1080p - [whatever u buy should be future proof to some extent]. Remember many channels have already started broadcasts in 1080p or i [which is Full-HD], secondly you will never enjoy the full glory of a Blu-ray or mkv rips that are full HD on a 720p TV.

Lastly, I would recommend LED over LCD - check out LG's models & bargain well.

DO NOT EVER GO FOR "HD-READY" sets ..... these are ONLY upto 720p resolution. Instead go for Full-HD which is 1080p - [whatever u buy should be future proof to some extent]. Remember many channels have already started broadcasts in 1080p or i [which is Full-HD], secondly you will never enjoy the full glory of a Blu-ray or mkv rips that are full HD on a 720p TV.

Correct me if i am wrong. I think 720p is better than 1080i.

Plasma? 42"? HD Ready?

Look no further than Panasonic 42X30. You could also think about 50X30 if you have the budget. I know you have constraint of up to 45K. But 50" should be available for 48~49K.

As I understand if you sit at a reasonable distance for screens less than 50" you will hardly notice the difference between the "Full HD" and "HD Ready"

Check this:
1080p Does Matter – Here’s When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com

Unless your viewing distance is less than 5 feets it really does not matter.

No offense meant terence_fdes but the best TV feed available in Indian market is 1080i.
(Check these links for source info FAQs | MoviesNow >> Hollywood in HDTV >> MoviesNow High Definition
HD DVR - Tata Sky+ HD)

Ofcourse if you have the budget go for a FullHD television even otherwise you do not have to worry :)

LCD vs Plasma is another hot topic search the forum you will find arguments for in support of both the technologies

Any specific reason behind plasma ?
I ll suggest you to go for LCD.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

I went through the following article:
LCD, LED, plasma, or rear-projection TV? - TV Buying Guide - CNET Reviews

Came to a conclusion that size matters most. So initially I was thinking of buying 32 inch. As size is the most important factor I felt plasma 42 inch is cost effective+feature rich(for the price at 40,000) compared to similar LCD's.

Apart from that, I mostly watch (movies and sports) after evening(Dim lighting) so going with Plasma.

Fully agree with you, But True HD tv's(42 inch) is beyond my budget. Apart from that my viewing distance is at least 8 feet so for 42 inches Full HD makes little difference. Correct me if I am wrong.

Plasma? 42"? HD Ready?

Look no further than Panasonic 42X30. You could also think about 50X30 if you have the budget. I know you have constraint of up to 45K. But 50" should be available for 48~49K.

Thanks for the suggestion.

As I understand if you sit at a reasonable distance for screens less than 50" you will hardly notice the difference between the "Full HD" and "HD Ready"

Check this:
1080p Does Matter Heres When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) | CarltonBale.com

Unless your viewing distance is less than 5 feets it really does not matter.

No offense meant terence_fdes but the best TV feed available in Indian market is 1080i.
(Check these links for source info FAQs | MoviesNow >> Hollywood in HDTV >> MoviesNow High Definition
HD DVR - Tata Sky+ HD)

Ofcourse if you have the budget go for a FullHD television even otherwise you do not have to worry :)

LCD vs Plasma is another hot topic search the forum you will find arguments for in support of both the technologies

Thanks for the detailed reply. Learned a lot of information.

karthi, i am also searching for a 42" plasma. Have checked panasonic 42x30d, 42x20d & samsung 43d450. Samsung have worst service i our area, so no way to go with 43d450. When compared panasonic 42x20d with 42x30d, there only i have finalized 42x30. Not only its a new model but also delivers deeper black than x20, also has usb playability. As per your doubt that the screen looks grey in color when in standby, don't worry, everything goes fine when the display is switched on. So i'll recomend, go to any dealer and check yourself by a side by side comparison & then final any model.

karthi, i am also searching for a 42" plasma. Have checked panasonic 42x30d, 42x20d & samsung 43d450. Samsung have worst service i our area, so no way to go with 43d450. When compared panasonic 42x20d with 42x30d, there only i have finalized 42x30. Not only its a new model but also delivers deeper black than x20, also has usb playability. As per your doubt that the screen looks grey in color when in standby, don't worry, everything goes fine when the display is switched on. So i'll recomend, go to any dealer and check yourself by a side by side comparison & then final any model.

Thanks Vishal. Any price quote for Panasonic 42X30D?

price quoted by the dealer:
Panasonic 42x30d- 39000
Panasonic 42x20d- 33000
Samsung 43d450- 38000.
Prices are without bargain.
They have only one demo piece of panny x20. But all the new models are in fresh stocks. Also the newer model of panny consumes less power than the old one.

price quoted by the dealer:
Panasonic 42x30d- 39000
Panasonic 42x20d- 33000
Samsung 43d450- 38000.
Prices are without bargain.
They have only one demo piece of panny x20. But all the new models are in fresh stocks. Also the newer model of panny consumes less power than the old one.

Here in Chennai, Two panasonic brand shop quoted me 42000(too costly) 42X30 and yet to en-quire in another brand shop.

Some other retail outlet and its prices:

Vasanth & Co- 39000 - 500 or Gold coin worth 500-Total(38500)
Chellamani & co- 40,000
Ezone-41000
Reliance Digital-40000
Croma-40000

Since I have started the process, I will use the above base price mentioned by you and will let you know the latest offer/best price in Chennai. In the meantime if you come across any offer please notify the same to me. Thanks in advance.

En-quired 42U30D in a panasonic brand shop but they told me that they have not received the pricing and they are expecting shipment in the month end including the pricing.

En-quired 42U30D in a panasonic brand shop but they told me that they have not received the pricing and they are expecting shipment in the month end including the pricing.
That is right. I also checked in Pune and got same reply. They asked me to come back in 15 days. But I expect the price to be same or marginally more than 20 series that they are replacing.

I am happy to share with all of you who directly and indirectly helped me in purchasing Panasonic 42X30D. I bought the TV from Panasonic Brand shop at Rs 38,500. I will post pictures and updates very soon.

hay all,

i have a question regarding my Panny 42C10D I bought last year. that was the time when HD transmission looked a distant future (sure, I was wrong!).

The query I have is, I have connected my Airtel HD to plasma via HDMI. As I switch on the TV, the lable on the screen reads 1080i along with HDMI 1 (the active source) regardless which channel is switched ON. Does that mean that when I am connecting amy source to HDMI1, my TV is converting the picture to 1080i?

if it really does have this feature, i believe it works only with HDMI connection, coz I have connected my SONY DZ 120 HTiB to the TV through Component cable, and the lable reads native resolution of the source. The highest I have got is 720p while playing Cars DVD and the DVD of The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Can you guys tell me what is the highest possible resolution one gets on this Panny model?

hay all,

i have a question regarding my Panny 42C10D I bought last year. that was the time when HD transmission looked a distant future (sure, I was wrong!).

The query I have is, I have connected my Airtel HD to plasma via HDMI. As I switch on the TV, the lable on the screen reads 1080i along with HDMI 1 (the active source) regardless which channel is switched ON. Does that mean that when I am connecting amy source to HDMI1, my TV is converting the picture to 1080i?

if it really does have this feature, i believe it works only with HDMI connection, coz I have connected my SONY DZ 120 HTiB to the TV through Component cable, and the lable reads native resolution of the source. The highest I have got is 720p while playing Cars DVD and the DVD of The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Can you guys tell me what is the highest possible resolution one gets on this Panny model?

I may be completely wrong, but this is what I think is happening.

The Airtel HD STB is sending the handshake signal to the TV. The TV recognizes that it is receiving input from a HD STB via HDMI input and that it is HD 1080i (leader signal only). Hence when you switch the input the first thing the TV displays is the type of signal being detected. But that does not mean anything. When you switch the channel on the STB, the TV will display as such.

Since your TV is HD-Ready (720p), it will down-convert any high resolution pic to match its native resolution. When receiving lower resolution, the TV will not upconvert as it can show images in lower resolution.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back