Playing Old / noisy records

I do clean by a carbon brush once may be before playing but M97XE seems too finicky

Okay, just to be more clear --- clean your old records with one of the methods recommended here on this forum. Look up "Manav Malvai Zero Paisa Cleaning Method". It's effective. A vacuum suction after the said process will give you very clean records. Instantly put the cleaned record in fresh inner sleeve. If dust is too much bother use Ziploc type outer cover made by our member Rikhav to get complete seal from dust and moisture. The above is primary cleaning.

Brushing records before each play is ONLY for dusting off lint and dust that gets accumulated during handling and storage. This is secondary cleaning and is not a substitute for the primary cleaning.

Further, as already suggested by G401fan, use the brush of your M97xE. Besides clearing the path for the stylus, it will also help it track warped records way better than not using it.

Okay, just to be more clear --- clean your old records with one of the methods recommended here on this forum. Look up "Manav Malvai Zero Paisa Cleaning Method". It's effective. A vacuum suction after the said process will give you very clean records. Instantly put the cleaned record in fresh inner sleeve. If dust is too much bother use Ziploc type outer cover made by our member Rikhav to get complete seal from dust and moisture. The above is primary cleaning.

Brushing records before each play is ONLY for dusting off lint and dust that gets accumulated during handling and storage. This is secondary cleaning and is not a substitute for the primary cleaning.

Further, as already suggested by G401fan, use the brush of your M97xE. Besides clearing the path for the stylus, it will also help it track warped records way better than not using it.

Will try out the brush for certain and report the feedbacks. The malvai thread I have seen earlier and will go through once again . But tell me one thing, that kind of extensive cleaning of the records once in how many plays is recommended?

Will try out the brush for certain and report the feedbacks. The malvai thread I have seen earlier and will go through once again . But tell me one thing, that kind of extensive cleaning of the records once in how many plays is recommended?

I still haven't recleaned most of the records I cleaned using Manav's method. They're still clean. If stored properly, one just needs to brush it before every play.

But coming back to topic, is there any other recommendation of cart that sounds great but not so sensitive to static?

Besides cart, I've observed that different phono preamps have different sensitivities.

Some phonos are very good at concealing static and surface noise while others seem to accentuate them a lot.

Among carts I'm impressed by how well Nagaoka MP 110 suppresses noise (besides being the greatest cartridge in its price band, IMO).

Besides cart, I've observed that different phono preamps have different sensitivities.

Some phonos are very good at concealing static and surface noise while others seem to accentuate them a lot.

Among carts I'm impressed by how well Nagaoka MP 110 suppresses noise (besides being the greatest cartridge in its price band, IMO).

I saw you detailed posts on the Nagaoka MP 110 and get your perspective now. Will keep looking for one for sure now that I have also seen its comparison to the M44-7.

Regarding the phono, I am using the CNC of @sachu888 . He can comment on this capability of CNC but is this some kind of intelligent filtering that suppress pops?

There can be old records that you don't want to play on an expensive tt even after cleaning for fear of damaging the stylus. Therefore it makes sense to have a second chaalu tt for such records

That is where I started this thread from, but the headshell swapping seems promising.

I have lots of damaged vinyl of my parents, which were mishandled, and I feel I can never replace those regional Goan Konkani 75 and 33 rpm records

That is bad indeed, my complaint is more on static though, at times take the fun out of listening, although for some the cleaning and handling is the fun.

The other thing is for increased weight of M97XE in brush down, would it not damage the vinyyby wearing it out faster or the brush will counter balance the force to some extent to it's not exactly the full increase on the tip.

“The other thing is for increased weight of M97XE in brush down, would it not damage the vinyyby wearing it out faster or the brush will counter balance the force to some extent to it's not exactly the full increase on the tip.”

The additional 0.5 GM’s (I.e. a VTF of 1,75 gms) needs to be set with the brush in the Up position. After lowering the brush, the effective weight is seen by the stylus as 1.25 gms, as the brush offsets the additional weight. So claims Shure, and that is that.

I have seen anti static brushes being advised before playing.
Any recommendations for anti static brush? How effective are they?

The standard record cleaning brush (available from online sites) that uses thousands of carbon fibre bristles also serves as an anti-static brush. Removing static reduces the attraction of airborne dust particles when a record is playing.

IMO, static has a very marginal impact on playback. What people imagine as mistracking or scratchy sound is merely permanent groove damage, or a dirty uncleaned record, not static.

To avoid the formation of static electricity by using the poly sleeves, is there any possibilities to make dust free paper sleeves?. Inside the paper sleeve, the vinyl will be safe for long time storage. And there will not be any reaction by humidity. So no sweat, boils, bubbles on the record surface. Thanks.

To avoid the formation of static electricity by using the poly sleeves, is there any possibilities to make dust free paper sleeves?. Inside the paper sleeve, the vinyl will be safe for long time storage. And there will not be any reaction by humidity. So no sweat, boils, bubbles on the record surface. Thanks.

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/paper-inner-sleeves.69129/

See above thread, in short you need antistatic acid-free / ricepaper inner sleeves that are also available online

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8QTRJ...&pd_rd_r=a308926c-dde4-11e8-99eb-878844a4b2d8

https://www.amazon.com/Sleeves-Fidelity-Vinyl-Collection-Protection/dp/B07CV42DNB

haisaikat, I am asking for any professionally made paper sleeves available? Our forum member Mr Kurvilla Jacob suggests and shows that how to make the paper sleeves by ourselves in home. Are you sure that rice paper inner sleeves are against static energy? Thanks.

haisaikat, I am asking for any professionally made paper sleeves available? Our forum member Mr Kurvilla Jacob suggests and shows that how to make the paper sleeves by ourselves in home. Are you sure that rice paper inner sleeves are against static energy? Thanks.
Check with fm @rikhav

@jls001 one question, The nagaoka mp110 is coming in 2 options, one with the standalone cart and another with a Audio Technica headshell. Should I get the 2nd one or the 1st one along side a separate Technics headshell since my TT is technics

I think that's purely up to you!

It's always nice to have an extra headshell.

I think that's purely up to you!

It's always nice to have an extra headshell.

No no, what I am trying to say is whether a technics headshell or a audio tevhnica headshell in a technics TT is both fine and no difference. I will have to get a separate headshell for sure

No no, what I am trying to say is whether a technics headshell or a audio tevhnica headshell in a technics TT is both fine and no difference. I will have to get a separate headshell for sure

Any headshell that has the standard SME screw-on connector will do.it doesn't have to be an original Technics. Just make sure it's of a weight similar to the one you have, which is 90% of the ones out there. There are a few that are extra-heavy for high-mass arms, which, if used, can make balancing the arm (and cartridge) a tad difficult.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back