Please share your experience with Kitchen chimney

AMITNOIDA

My Glen chimney is almost 8 years old and I feel it needs replacement, although it's still in working condition.

I have surveyed few companies e.g. Glen, Faber, Kaff and Elica. As collected from different postings and reviews available in the net:

Kaff - they don't use baffle filter. Instead they use mesh filter and require frequent cleaning (say every 15 days). Otherwise these chimneys are reliably built.

Faber - They use triple layer baffle filter and performs better in oily cooking. But these filters need to be cleaned by the service technicians, if it require to to open the inner plates of the baffle for internal cleaning.

Glen - They use double layer baffle and comparatively easy to clean than Faber.

Elica - Comparatively new brand in India. Have good design chimneys, use double layer baffle filter and offer good discounts.

As an old Glen customer and due to their satisfactory service network at NCR, I feel I should stick to Glen. But Faber has bigger name and perceived as a better brand, but their service network is comparatively bad. I don't know, if they have improved their service in NCR recently. Kaff is not under my consideration because they don't use Baffle filter, which I think has edge over mesh filter in case of oily cooking.

Before taking final decision, it would be nice to get the experience of the others in this Esteemed Forum with respect to:

- Performance and suction
- Trouble free service
- Filter effectiveness and cleaning
- Price and Value

Regards

Amit

I got installed a Sunflame Tulip 60 cooker hood (Aluminum finish, silver ) in my kitchen about 6 months ago. (Suction -1100). It has a curved glass hood & is definitely looks better than than full metal body hoods.

It uses a baffle filter & I had a fair deal as I had to shell a reasonable 12990/- for the set during an offer. Its MRP is 18,990/-. They charged another Rs. 500 for installation & another Rs. 300/- for additional exhaust pipe. You get one flexible exhaust pipe with the set, but due to my kitchen layout, I needed one more for which the cost was Rs. 300/-. It has a 3 speed setting with 2X20W lamps. Its pretty effective and cleaning of the filter is easy. Although, We clean the filter by simply putting it in the dishwasher (we are a bunch of lazy folks!:D) but it can easily be handwashed as well. Keeping it soaked in water will make things easier I guess.
Although, may be no match for Faber, but does its job pretty well & there is no maintenance/ cleaning costs involved. You can have a look at it here:Sunflame Cooker Hood Chimney-TULIP 60 SS BF-Baffle Filter-Sunflame Ind Warranty | eBay

I think some other seller on ebay is offering it around 13K too. check the prices.

Regards,
Saket

I use a Faber with baffle filters. I learnt how to open and clean the baffle from a Faber service person and now I do it on my own. It's very easy.

Thanks Saket and Shivam for sharing your experience. Hope to get few more experiences from other members.

Let me update the latest - Last Sunday I have visited along with my wife and son the dealers of following three brands - Glen, Faber and Elica. I skipped Kaff because they don't have chimneys with baffle filter.

First, let me share the choice models from the market leader Faber:
- Gyza (from their newly launched SIL-K series) with 910 m3/hr suction in conical design, offer price 19k for 60 cm model
- Solaris Plus with 1000 m3/hr in conical design, offer price 10.9k for 60 cm model
- Tratto with 910 m3/hr in more attractive flat design with curved glass, offer price 13.9k for 60 cm model
- Mars with 1200 m3/hr in conical design, offer price 12k for 60 cm model

From Glen products the probable model is :
- GL 6054 with 1250 m3/hr in conical design, offer price 12k for 60 cm model
Glen provide PDCA housing for the motor in all 1250 m3/hr models and power consumption is 260 W for the motor. Their lights are provided in the rear part.

Last we visited the showroom of ELICA. They offer attractive looking models. The models we liked are:
- Spot 3C TV with 1150 m3/hr suction. It is straight design with soft touch screen having delay function. Very attractive looking. Offer price 14.3 k for 60 cm model. The sound level in first two speed setting is quite low but zoomes in third setting.
- Hydra with 1000 m3/hr, very sleek looking conical design with offer price of 8.2k for 60 cm model.
Elica brand is new and not much feedback is available in India. I could get two satisfied feedback in the net. Elica don't provide the wattage of their motors and noise level in their Technical specification.

At the end, we are still inch away from zeroing down to final selection.

Has anybody used Elica brand Chimneys or came accross the same? Or any other brands?

My reasons for opting for the chimney that I bought were -
Baffle filter
Lowest noise for the specified suction rate

Things I didn't bother about -
Placement of lamps
Design changes
Brand name

My reasons for opting for the chimney that I bought were -
Baffle filter
Lowest noise for the specified suction rate

Which Faber model did you purchase?

Today, I have visited 'Cata chimney' dealer. Cata models come with Casette filter (multi layer mesh), but they have option for baffle filter also. The chimneys are reliably built but slightly more pricey.

I have also the following in consideration:
- The chimney should have baffle filter
- The noise level should be low
- The suction rate should be around 1000 m3/hr or more
- The company should have a reliable and prompt service centre in NCR

Ultimately purchased Faber Gyza 60 cm Chimney. The max sound level is 61 db and has telescopic hood.

Faber is what we got and while product itself was of good quality, service was horrendous to put it in very subtle tone.

There was this issue with Faber stove where it was leaking gas and when we complain they take more than a week if i remember it correctly while we made it clear that we are living with the risk of fire accident every-time we use the stove. They still used to respond saying they need 2 days to come and similar excuses. I literally bad-mouthed them at one point because they clearly seemed to be disinterested in customer's safety.

Ultimately we got rid off the stove, got a refund and settled with Prestige stove.

You might have asked about chimney but I'm talking about Faber's service, atleast in my case. I would think its better to stick to some home-grown brands who have better service coverage. Afterall, service is most important for these things.

Solaris Plus with 1000 m3/hr in conical design, offer price 10.9k for 60 cm model

hi Amit - You mentioned that the price for this model is 10.9k.. Can you please share with me the link. I am from Hyderabad. I am unable to get that offer valid in hyderabad.

Thanks in advance..Jyothi

Hi Jyothi,
Sorry, I can not provide any link. Actually, this price was offered by the dealer J.K.Electricals at Noida.

What offer price did you get at Hyerabad?

just wanted to know about CATA chimney that is it good company? i want to buy an best chimney and i need honest help to suggest me to buy an best chimney.
i'll wait for an best reply.

Last edited:
just wanted to know about CATA chimney that is it good company? i want to buy an best chimney and i need honest help to suggest me to buy an best chimney.
i'll wait for an best reply.

I will suggest Faber. They have the best baffle with three plates with patented design. I am using since last 3 months, very easy to clean, just by putting the baffles in hot soap water and brush them, preferably every week. Very easy, no need to call technicians.

Can someone comment how much is faber AMC charges once the initial warranty expires and how many visits the technicians make in AMC over a year?

Also is faber service good in Kolkata? Seems too much marketing pressure from Kutchina, and some of the forums are even biased that faber is suitable for Indian oily cooking whereas kutchina is suitable :). This is the link http://www.techenclave.com/communit...hat-is-your-view-on-this.107064/#post-1309351

Last edited:
I have Faber chimney with SS baffle tray. Cleaning is very easy. Just twist the holder screws, remove the trays, place them in warm mild detergent solution for 30 minutes, rinse away, dry them and replace. The whole operation does not take more than 1 hour at most.

AMC is Rs. 750 or so. Don't remember it exactly. My wife pays the man. The technician visits twice a year (I think) - at least once a year. The guy checks the general operation, fan/muck, exhaust, etc. I haven't found him doing anything special that you cannot do yourself. So probably the AMC is waste of money. But as the amount is not much, we don't mind paying.

I have faber Chimney last 6 years! Now it started stopping by overheating and restart again after some time. AMC sucks as they are reluctant to open main motor unit.

BTW my R&D showed Electra is good chimney and newest different technology for oil collection. Units motors are uniquely placed and made. They applied for patient. Its made in India, easy to clean, less power, less noise and efficient. Only problem is you need to avoid putting finger or any object into suction area while working. On my suggestion, my neighbor is using it last 4 years. Suction power is stunning in Electra compared to all imported chimney's.

Link - |||||||| ELEKTRA - home ||||||||
[no affiliation]

Last edited:
We are using faber chimney from last 18 months, we have not faced any problem till date.

We follow the same process to clean as mentioned by just4kix. sometime we call faber guys to do cleaning of hob and chimney both. they remove certain internal parts of hob & chimney and clean them.

I have faber Chimney last 6 years! Now it started stopping by overheating and restart again after some time. AMC sucks as they are reluctant to open main motor unit.

BTW my R&D showed Electra is good chimney and newest different technology for oil collection. Units motors are uniquely placed and made. They applied for patient. Its made in India, easy to clean, less power, less noise and efficient. Only problem is you need to avoid putting finger or any object into suction area while working. On my suggestion, my neighbor is using it last 4 years. Suction power is stunning in all imported chimney's.

Link - |||||||| ELEKTRA - home ||||||||
[no affiliation]

Does it mean that non imported ones like electra do not have good suction?

I checked the elektra models. None of them have led lights. Does all other light types create lot of heat?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back