Please suggest a false ceiling option

IndianEars, could you please comment on my post (#34) on this thread. I plan to implement this soon. Mostly, it is the same as what you have done except that there is a peg board (performated hardboard of 4mm thickness with holes of 4mm dia) in between the fabric and the fibre glass wool.

Thanks in advance!!

Hello Santosh,

I have not seen or 'heard' the RPG 'BAD' panel absorbers / diffusers, though I believe that they are well appreciated.

I dont know how well your Home Brew 'BAD' panels would approximate the real thing !

Sorry, I just do not have the knowledge to give you a better answer ...:sad:

Small rooms are generally too 'Live' and therefore do not need too much of diffusion / reflective surface. A good place to diffuse is behind the listning position.....

The net is full of suggestions for diffusive surfaces... cheap and readily available stuff includes Egg Holders ( Yup those sheets that hold 2 doz eggs ! Cover those nicely with a cloth, and ....:clapping:

The RPG Site that you have pointed to says:

Traditional foam and fabric wrapped absorptive panels offer a cost effective, low profile approach to providing reflection and reverberation control. However, these panels offer little sound diffusion and large area application may lead to an acoustically "dead" space.

So the site seems to doff its cap at Cloth-Over-Fibre solutions, and warns ( just as i did) of simply not using too much of it... No too difficult, no ? :)

MUST add.... if you are planning a Cloth over Fibre solution, the 3 inch air gap behind the fibre is ESSENTIAL !

I have progressed with the 'BAD panel' home brew. Let us see how good it turns out to be. My design is such that, the peg boards can be easily removed if causes any issues. Will update this thread on how it all turns out.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back