Pls suggest a bit old model to this HTiB newbie...

TheSeeker

hello everyone!

I used to frequent the HT threads here long back, when onkyo HTS3400/3500 & denon 1312xp/1612xp were being discussed about. so have some faint idea about these/such systems. now the time has arrived for me as well to take a dip in these waters.

I have been using one of those dolby pro-logic II systems, namely, the F&D F5090. its no slouch! has got some loud speakers & monstrous bass, making it too good for movie-viewing, esp. those with DTS/DTS HD-MA tracks. however, having got a PS4 & the desire to listen to now digital processing/output & true surround sound, I have decided to finally invest in an HTiB. am in no hurry, and will take time in deciding the model, ofcourse with suggestions from y'all & hunting here 'n there.

am absolutely open to buying a used, well-cared of system. infact I prefer that to buying a new one. there are a multiple reasons for it. also, would very much like to audition a system at anyone's place who'd be gracious to invite me to have a dekko. :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Re: Pls suggest an old (used) model to this HTiB newbie (almost)...

I don't have much knowledge about the technicalities involved, but hope to seriously learn during this brief journey.

things I would be connecting to the system:

- a Panasonic P50VT20D TV
- a PS4 & an xbox 360
- an HD STB
- two floorstanders (presently connected to a DNM audio amp, A-777; this amp I hope to sell off after buying the HTiB)
- a Logitech squeezebox classic
- laptops, occasionally
- an HTPC
- some random stuff like an android stick or an rpi, sometimes

I had been to the nearest RD store y'day for some work. thought of auditioning the systems there. the home-theatre room was in kind of chaos. they had denon x500 & x1000 for demo, but the former wouldn't power up, & the latter was only the AVR......I have an affinity towards denon as I have read earlier on the forum that denon AVRs give a better 'musical' output........

nevertheless, outside their HT room were kept yamaha's 199, 299 & 1810....the 199's woofer wasn't working. so demoed 1810. sounded good, but more on the 'shrill' side I felt. but alas! no luck with denon. :(

would like to spend about 25k or so on the set-up. don't know if its enough for a used system. not looking forward to the 'latest features' if they are not critical. would prefer to purchase the better of the yesteryears at the price of the entry-level of today's. :D

had checked the taga system listed on hifimart. but they have front floorstanders, which would be overkill as I don't want to sell off my current floorstanders (which I use ONLY for music-listening, & not for movies...would like to keep them that way ideally).

oh & yes, the viewing-distance is ~8-10 ft.

Last edited:
Hi,

A Denon of today will not do justice to music except for their stereo amps (PMA series).

If your music use is more than movies, you need to look at a Marantz....some Yamaha models also do a decent job.

Marantz is expensive, I believe RD has the 1504 model on display which you can audition.

For Sale by Owner or hifiads.com has good gear available. Since you are based in Mumbai, there is a NR1605 available which meets your connectivity requirements and usage.

Bottom line, to get something good, you may need to increase your budget as you are not too happy with the performance of entry level Yamaha systems @ RD.

Hi,

If your music use is more than movies, you need to look at a Marantz....some Yamaha models also do a decent job.

no, music use is not more. movies is. but want an AVR that'd atleast provide the required power to the FS. if i play music using my HTPC or the logitech squeezebox in between the chain, would that be enough? specs of my FS are:

120W RMS
8 Ohms
Crossed-over at 500 Hz/4000 Hz
Peerless woofers
Iwai Electronics mids
Robertson Audio highs

For Sale by Owner or hifiads.com has good gear available. Since you are based in Mumbai, there is a NR1605 available which meets your connectivity requirements and usage.

couldnt find the said model, but saw denon 1600 (but only 75W per channel output) & denon 2309 (reading about it).

Bottom line, to get something good, you may need to increase your budget as you are not too happy with the performance of entry level Yamaha systems @ RD.

the yamaha systems kept at the RD store were in a hoch-poch! what i was looking was to hear sound-separation, but in that set-up, wasnt possible.

my main aim behind wanting an HTiB is to experience true surround sound/sound separation if i may call it again. otherwise my current analog system produces much aural power & fine sound esp. with DTS track movies. however since it produces simulated surround sound, all speakers nearly produce the same sound which makes it all feel muddy esp. with non-DTS tracks. you know about this already.

what about a denon 1612xp? would that be good?

Mix and match will not work very well, the better option is to simply get a HTIB in your budget or an AVR and a speaker package.

You can use the existing F&D with a secondary TV or PC, or simply add in a Chromecast Audio and use it for streaming services, online video, etc. It will also work very well for a gaming rig.

This recommendation is based on your desire to decode the latest formats. If you want to continue using your floorstanders, then the best option would be to carry them and audition with amps at the dealers, or have some friends or forum members to come over with their AVR, at the very least it will give you a fair idea of what to look for.

Hi TheSeeker.,

The FS mentioned by you are 120watts RMS @ 8 ohms load.....if you consider the NR1605 which is available on hifiads.com

Exclusive for U! Bugdet Slim 7.1 Marantz Powerful AVR Wifi Bluetooth 4k UHD - HiFiADS.com

It has BI AMP capability where you can provide dedicated 50watts + 50 watts rms power to each tower....

By itself NR series although being 50watts RMS can drive Dali Zensor 7 towers which are more than 125watts rms.....Murlidher (FM) uses the same. He has not BI AMPed the speakers....

I suggested to audition the Marantz for SQ and punch and then based on your budget, decide if you want to pursue the NR1605 which is available....you can connect all digital inputs and also add subwoofer later....

Mix and match will not work very well, the better option is to simply get a HTIB in your budget or an AVR and a speaker package.

You can use the existing F&D with a secondary TV or PC, or simply add in a Chromecast Audio and use it for streaming services, online video, etc. It will also work very well for a gaming rig.

This recommendation is based on your desire to decode the latest formats. If you want to continue using your floorstanders, then the best option would be to carry them and audition with amps at the dealers, or have some friends or forum members to come over with their AVR, at the very least it will give you a fair idea of what to look for.

hi, not looking fwd to retaining the f&d system (if i dont want to be kicked out of home :p ). just want an HTiB that can deliver the decibel-power atleast equal to the f&d system if not more, with the added benefit of true surround sound that comes with an AVR.

the FS that i have will be used for music only. if the AVR can provide it with the requisite power then good, else will have to retain my present amp.

Hi TheSeeker.,

The FS mentioned by you are 120watts RMS @ 8 ohms load.....if you consider the NR1605 which is available on hifiads.com

Exclusive for U! Bugdet Slim 7.1 Marantz Powerful AVR Wifi Bluetooth 4k UHD - HiFiADS.com

It has BI AMP capability where you can provide dedicated 50watts + 50 watts rms power to each tower....

By itself NR series although being 50watts RMS can drive Dali Zensor 7 towers which are more than 125watts rms.....Murlidher (FM) uses the same. He has not BI AMPed the speakers....

I suggested to audition the Marantz for SQ and punch and then based on your budget, decide if you want to pursue the NR1605 which is available....you can connect all digital inputs and also add subwoofer later....

hi,

thanks for the link. would the marantz avr do justice with movies as well? the said avr indeed is expensive & crosses budget. IDK what use wifi has in it (BT & 4k, 7.1 not reqd), but i will read about it.

how about denon x500? but its an entry-level model i suppose?

Hi

I have been using various Marantz models for the last 5 years + and it is damn good for music and movies.....provides continuous true power output to the speakers (even if they are double the stated power).

Denon X500 is a very old model and based on what I have seen posts and feedback on this forum....some models face HDMI board challenges after 2/3 years......also certain featured like BT etc show lag in performance....the X1200 in my opinion is an overhyped AVR with so many features but all don't blend in well....

Depending on budget, make your choice and decide....

could someone pls comment on these models?

denon avr 1612
yamaha rxv571/581

have an offer for both...36k for the rxv581 (w/ 11 months warranty) & 17k for the 1612.

Last edited:
If you do not need fancy features and are just looking for strong multichannel performance then can safely go for 571. It will not have Spotify or Atmos and AirPlay and all that but as far as I am concerned I do not need them. This series will still process True HD and DTS MA so you are not missing out on compatibility with those formats.
I am using a RXV 371 and am quite happy with it.

Hi

581 seems to be promising....check all features and make an informed decision....

If you do not need fancy features and are just looking for strong multichannel performance then can safely go for 571. It will not have Spotify or Atmos and AirPlay and all that but as far as I am concerned I do not need them. This series will still process True HD and DTS MA so you are not missing out on compatibility with those formats.
I am using a RXV 371 and am quite happy with it.

thanks. how does denon 1612 fare against the v581? different segments I know, but the price-difference is also substantial.

and is a price of 34k for the v581 appropriate? or should be lesser.

would like to spend about 25k or so on the set-up. don't know if its enough for a used system. not looking forward to the 'latest features' if they are not critical. would prefer to purchase the better of the yesteryears at the price of the entry-level of today's. :D

You have about 5 - 6 devices that need HDMI connectivity, with a 25K budget you might get a entry level AVR.. Denon 1612 has only 4 HDMI Inputs..

Grey market might get u better AVR for your budget..

btw you plan to complete 5.0 (or) settle with AVR + FS?

You have about 5 - 6 devices that need HDMI connectivity, with a 25K budget you might get a entry level AVR.. Denon 1612 has only 4 HDMI Inputs..

Grey market might get u better AVR for your budget..

btw you plan to complete 5.0 (or) settle with AVR + FS?

all the devices wont be connected at the same time. 4 should be enough for me.

don't know where's the grey mkt in Mumbai...but this gives me an idea to enquire in alfa.

I plan to complete the surround sound setup (5.1). FS will be kept separate.

could someone pls suggest how to check which speakers would pair well with a Yamaha AVR? or is there any particular set which pairs well them? how about jamo hc3? any user-experience anyone?

I plan to complete the surround sound setup (5.1). FS will be kept separate.

Then a sat + sub will do the job for you.. A 2-way satellite at best..

could someone pls suggest how to check which speakers would pair well with a Yamaha AVR? or is there any particular set which pairs well them? how about jamo hc3? any user-experience anyone?

Try to take a demo.. Skip the FS set-up until & unless you are not going to add a sub...

could you pls tell if 34k is a good price for the mentioned avr, under 11 months' warranty? i have been asked to quote a price for that. found online price (OOS though) to be close to 50k.

There is no way of telling which combination will sound good other than listening to the combo yourself. Some pairings are more or less liked by majority, try and listen as much as you can. Even if you can not listen to older AVR models, sound signature does not really change with advancement of the series unless there is a new radical design change or change of principle. So with newer models you will get a fair idea how a certain speaker may sound with the ones you are going for.

I myself use Yamaha and Dali, and it goes well.

could you pls tell if 34k is a good price for the mentioned avr, under 11 months' warranty? i have been asked to quote a price for that. found online price (OOS though) to be close to 50k.

I suppose you are referring to RXV-581. I think it is a good price.. How do you know it has 11 months warranty left? Did you check the bill copy?

If 5.1 is what you are looking at, stick to the basic AVR.. There was a Denon 520BT on sale in the forum.. Check that..

There is a Denon 1612 on the forum.. Else open a "wanted" thread, so that you can check for reasonable offers in you city and then decide on buying...

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back