Plz suggest comp speakers ~(12-15k)

grim.reaper

Im looking for Powerful speakers for my computer n my budget is ~(12-15k).
Mainly for listening to mp3 n watching movies.
Currently i just know that for some extra bucks, i can get5.1 speakers Z-5500D (for 17.5k)
n there are these 2 options for 2.1(~7-7.5K) => MX5021 n Z-2300

Another question...Is there a point buying a home theatre system (lets say YHT390) for the computer? or comp speakers like Z-5500/Z-2300 make more sense?

Last edited:
since you need powered speakers the audioengines are a good choice.
May be slightly above your budget but they are better that the others

yes you might miss some bas that you may get in a sub which the other brands you say are offering, but pure music the audioengines are better.

if your mainly into movies and mp3 ( 50% each ) i think your options are also good

I would also add Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 to the list got a decent woofer so it would be better for movies and games. Music would be decent as well. I have not heard Audio Engine so cannot compare.

Promedia 5.1 is there is if you need surround sound.

I would not spend money on getting a home theatre set of speakers to attach to the comp.

Your list included Logitech Z5500 which is a good choice if you want surround sound.

This is the address given in the Klipsch site for the dealer in Mumbai. You can check with them for exact prices.

Klipsch Dealer
GAUTAM AGENCIES
RAHUL COMPLEX, S.NO 135/136, PLOT NO. 7,
OFFICE NO. 27 & 28, PAUL RD.
MAHARASHTRA411029
INDIA
Phone: 91-20-25454270 / 71

I hrd that the HTib have a good receiver which the comp speakers can't match. Is that true?
The z-5500 are for 18k, and with this big an investment, a friend of mine suggested i go for a HTiB as I can upgrade it later and the receiver makes the sound quality much better, better than z-5500. plz comment...
Also i would need an additional sound card for surround sound. Plz suggest me one, and roughly what would it cost me? currently i have sterio realtek on board audio.
Thanks a lott in adance:)

Unless you are going to be watching a lot of movies on the PC my recommendation is to go for only 2.0 and Audioengine A5 is easily the best in the price range of 18K or so.

Unless you are going to be watching a lot of movies on the PC my recommendation is to go for only 2.0 and Audioengine A5 is easily the best in the price range of 18K or so.

Second this option as I just saw one in play last week in Noida and was very impressed by the performance. Excellent speakers for PC esp. if you set it up properly with one of the half decent sound cards.

I would suggest go for a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system for the PC and not more for movies and music.

My total budget (speakers+sound card if reqd) can't exceed 20k.
Audioengine a5 ~18k
Altec5021/z2300~7k
are there some good speakers in the middle range?
audioengine A2 has inadequate bass due to its size, is what i read on forums etc. is it true?
Can u plz suggest some sound card (not very expensive)..
currently i have RTL8101L as my on board sound

Second this option as I just saw one in play last week in Noida and was very impressed by the performance. Excellent speakers for PC esp. if you set it up properly with one of the half decent sound cards.

I would suggest go for a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system for the PC and not more for movies and music.

Marsilians, where did you see them in Noida? I wanna go check them out!

I am planning to use them with my creative zen but I am sure they will sound great with a high-end sound card. I will be trying the A5's with my Asus Xonar Essence (though its analog RCA outs) once I get hold of them.

My total budget (speakers+sound card if reqd) can't exceed 20k.
Audioengine a5 ~18k
Altec5021/z2300~7k
are there some good speakers in the middle range?
audioengine A2 has inadequate bass due to its size, is what i read on forums etc. is it true?
Can u plz suggest some sound card (not very expensive)..
currently i have RTL8101L as my on board sound

I think sound card is a MUST if you want something like AE5. Don't waste money on good speakers if you have low end onboard realtek sound. BTW RTL8101L is a network controller AFAIK. What sound chip do you have on board?

Get something like Asus Xonar D1 or M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 (PCI cards) if you want a good 7.1 solution with s/pdif etc., else get a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE or similar cheap pci card. I don't much idea on the low-end PCI/USB sound cards.

Consider Acoustic Energy Aego-M series - ~15k or Dynaudio MC-15. I have not personally auditioned them but read good reviews

Forums have a lot of stuff written by users who have never heard a pair of speakers but only read other reviews. Please don't base your decisions on comments from anyone and everyone. You gotta listen to them to decide for yourself whether you like them or not. Most people love their A2's, but that doesn't mean you will too.

Search this forum for couple of threads on the audioengine A2 and A5 and good things being written by couple of users (as well as someone who didn't like the A2 and sold them off!).

Read the A2's review on stereophile as well. They are very good considering that you can buy them from India for 10K. All you need is a sound card (if you have a pci-express, get the Asus Xonar DX, else Xonar D1) and you will have a decent system for 14K.

If you ask me, I would go for the A5 instaed of the A2. For its better drivers, better bass, and subwoofer outs that I might need someday.

Marsilians, where did you see them in Noida? I wanna go check them out!

I am planning to use them with my creative zen but I am sure they will sound great with a high-end sound card. I will be trying the A5's with my Asus Xonar Essence (though its analog RCA outs) once I get hold of them.

Hi Bhaskie

I auditioned this at a friend's place in Noida when on travel and not at a AV store. He sourced it from Bajaao.com (apparently good service and quite reliable).

The pricing is very close the US retail price which is amazing considering how much mark up we pay for other components.

Consider Acoustic Energy Aego-M series - ~15k or Dynaudio MC-15. I have not personally auditioned them but read good reviews

Hi Maiyap,

Dynaudio MC-15 do have great reviews and I am setting them up for a friend's PC. The cost however is around 1100-1200 USD at least from what I could source on the internet. Don't think they would be in the OP's budget. Do let me know if you come across the MC-15 for anything less. BTW AVI ADM9 also has great reviews. Planning on them if the Dynaudio MC-15 is not easily available.

grim.reaper - Do check out the Audioengine A2 if possible. But they are not everyone's cup of tea. The A5 is an all round winner even as a BS and not just as PC speakers though.

Hi Bhaskie

I auditioned this at a friend's place in Noida when on travel and not at a AV store. He sourced it from Bajaao.com (apparently good service and quite reliable).

The pricing is very close the US retail price which is amazing considering how much mark up we pay for other components.

oh! Actually I stay in Noida as well but none of the stores in the NCR region has the A2/A5's. I am thinking of getting them from US since it's priced at Rs 15700 ($314) and I get 3 yrs warranty as well (1 yr in India).

A lot of people have had issues with the A2/A5's within a year or two (though AE's service is amazing and the replace with new speakers immediately), so I think the 1 yr warranty is very risky. I have had Altec Lansing 5.1's which are still running for 9 yrs without a single fault and I definitely wouldn't want to spend 4 times the amount for something with build issues that goes bad in 1-2 yrs!

Moserw why do you say "Unless you are going to be watching a lot of movies on the PC" ? A good 2.1 setup sounds great with movies. Playing 2 channel PCM from blu-rays through the A5's (or a decent hi-fi 2.1 setup) should sound great in my opinion. In fact I've always preferred the phantom center to any actual center speakers in my small room, so I happily don't want the center and the rears, ending up with a 2.1 requirement!

my two cents!

Moserw why do you say "Unless you are going to be watching a lot of movies on the PC" ? A good 2.1 setup sounds great with movies. Playing 2 channel PCM from blu-rays through the A5's (or a decent hi-fi 2.1 setup) should sound great in my opinion. In fact I've always preferred the phantom center to any actual center speakers in my small room, so I happily don't want the center and the rears, ending up with a 2.1 requirement!

my two cents!

Not everyone wants 2.0/2.1 in this day and age of 5.1/7.1. Also, once you experience true 5.1 like say DTS in The Transformers with the right equipment you just cannot go back to stereo, at least that's the way I feel. In fact I have gone re-ripping all my DVDs to 5.1 in Dolby Digital from the original stereo they were ripped in earlier for all my Divx rips. Just as music sounds so much better in stereo, ditto for movies in 5.1 DTS/Dolby. Great 2.0 is better than average 5.1, that's true, but the same cannot be said of a great/very good 5.1 setup. Movies are enjoyed more in surround sound, well my 2 cents at least.

At 20K, I'd be really keen to hear of a good/great 5.1 setup you know about, because I can't think of even one.

None Cranky and you know that!!! That's why even my recommendation is for Audioengine A5. But if it is 5.1 a person wants then something like Logitech Z5500 can be suggested, not great, but still pretty decent for games, music and movies on the PC.

grim.reaper,

As others have pointed out its not worth investing in a 5.1 setup not only coz of the quality compromise but also to avoid wires running all over your room.

I suggest you audition the speakers yourself since the performance of speakers regarding bass will be based on ones personal preference.

So whether you will like the Audio Engine speakers without the woofer or the Logitech & Klipsch with the woofer can be known only if you listen to them.

As far as sound cards are concerned Asus Xonar and M-Audio cards are the best for music and Creative X-Fi if you are into gaming. But I believe the Asus and the M-Audio cards would be priced around 4k. So if you want a cheaper choice I would advice you to go for the Creative Audigy-2 or Audigy-1 cards.

NOTE: Kindly avoid the budget HtiB.

One place where you can find all these speakers would be the Reliance Timeout(not the Audio Engine but the Klipsch & Logitech) outlet but I am not sure whether its there in Mumbai or not.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back