Popcorn Hour Owners Thread (All Models)

Own a PCH-200 for the past 8 months. Got this thru a fren from US. Overall price came to arnd 349$ incl of Wifi PCI adapter.
Immediately after a month the LCD display failed. But the PCH guys were very fast, they shipped a replacement LCD panel.
Works a treat now with good firmware update support.

Fixed a Lite-on BD-Rom drive. Plays all Region-A BDs. Offcourse there were some issues with BD like Avatar, but after the latest firmware updates all the Blueray's movies work fine.
Also connected an external 2TB HDD via USB, works fine for all Ripped BD movies.

Not good for Audio though.

~Vince

Last edited:
Ive also got one of these with the wireless adapter,as well as the A100,I use Squeezeboxes for audio. I wasnt able to figure out how to play more than one track at a time using the A 200-have you found out how it is possible to do tis or to compile a playlist?

Thanks

I am planning to buy PopCorn A200 from usa. I also want to buy an internal HDD for the same.

Please help me to decide whether a 2.5 or 2.5 internal hdd is required. Can the A200 handle 2TB Int HDD without any issues. Any specific model that i should be looking at for the Int HDD.

Thanks.

clap:clap:clap

I got the Popcorn Hour A200, yesterday with a 2TB hitachi 3.5 internal hard disk.

Please let me know the first steps that i should do with the A200. should i do a firmware upgrade immeditely? Though there is a manual that details, its better i get the input from the experts.

it support only slim BR drive? normal drives doesnot fit?

oops.. missed to specify on the drive size. I guess what i have should be a normal one, let me check tonight and shall update.

If it does not fit, will swap it to my desktop. or will put it in classifieds here. :D

Need Help to connect A200

I need help to connect my PCH A200 to my HTS and TV.

The following is my setup
TV - Samsung LCD 40C650
HTS- Onkyo 3400
Media Player - PCH A200
Cable - SCV Set Top Box ... No DTH....

At present, Cable - HTS - TB thru Co-Axial cables - Works Fine
Now,
I connect PCH - HTS - TV thru HDMI. HTS Out - TV HDMI4 In. I have made the required input changes in HTS Setup menu as well. But, i am unable to view the PCH menu in TV.
Whereas
when i connect
PCH - HTS - TV thru Co-Axial, it works fine, but very pathetic output.

What is the mistake i am doing. Please help.

Unfortunately I cant help you since I havent yet connected my A 200 up to my HT 7.1 prepro.I have connected it directly to my TV using the HDMI cable. I will do it next month after my amp is ready.

Unfortunately I cant help you since I havent yet connected my A 200 up to my HT 7.1 prepro.I have connected it directly to my TV using the HDMI cable. I will do it next month after my amp is ready.

When i connect the A200 directly to the TV thru HDMI it works fine.

How do i find the firmware version in A200 or can i go ahead and install the latest firmware?

Re: Need Help to connect A200

I connect PCH - HTS - TV thru HDMI. HTS Out - TV HDMI4 In. I have made the required input changes in HTS Setup menu as well. But, i am unable to view the PCH menu in TV.

Two things. See if there is a first time set up in PCH. Second check if the PCH is transmitting NTSC images. Since this is a US product, I suspect it will be set to NTSC by default. This will work with a TV, but will not work with a HTS unless it is specified to the HTS.

Cheers

Two things. See if there is a first time set up in PCH. Second check if the PCH is transmitting NTSC images. Since this is a US product, I suspect it will be set to NTSC by default. This will work with a TV, but will not work with a HTS unless it is specified to the HTS.
Cheers

Thanks Venkat. Let me check this today and shall update.

Now the next problem is, connecting the Internal HDD to the PCH.
As per the steps detailed, i was able to successfully install the Internal HDD, but when i switch on the PCH, there is no indication of the internal HDD.

Now how do i verify that have connected the internal HDD properly and is there any setup that has to be done from PCH for the HDD.

They could have given a good user manual, have to learn everything by trial and error only. :mad:

Now the next problem is, connecting the Internal HDD to the PCH. As per the steps detailed, i was able to successfully install the Internal HDD, but when i switch on the PCH, there is no indication of the internal HDD.

Now how do i verify that have connected the internal HDD properly and is there any setup that has to be done from PCH for the HDD.

This is strange. Please see if you have followed the steps as described here.

http://files.syabas.com/popcornhour/download/PopcornHour_A-200_Installation.pdf

Once you have installed the drive, when you power on, it should immediately show up on the menu.

If the process yet does not work, see if you can connect the drive to a PC, install the partition and format the drive. You can use the free Easus partition manager for this.

Where are you, BTW? Maybe George or I can help you if we can get access to the PCH.

Cheers

Last edited:

This is strange. Please see if you have followed the steps as described here.

http://files.syabas.com/popcornhour/download/PopcornHour_A-200_Installation.pdf

Once you have installed the drive, when you power on, it should immediately show up on the menu.

If the process yet does not work, see if you can connect the drive to a PC, install the partition and format the drive. You can use the free Easus partition manager for this.

Where are you, BTW? Maybe George or I can help you if we can get access to the PCH.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat. Just got it resolved.

I did not have the HDD formatted and partitioned. I used the NMT Firmware updated and the PCH did the formatting using the EXT3 drive and did the NMT installation. So now the i am able to see the SATA drive in PCH.

But, now the problem is, since i formatted thru NMT, i believe it is not showing up when connected to PC.
How do i make it appear in PC, in NMT Wiki they have given certain workarounds?
Should i follow that or can i do a reformat of the HDD with that software that you mentioned and reinstall in PCH. how many partitions should i create?

I am based in chennai as well and please let me know when you would be free and i will come over with the PCH. Thanks again.

But, now the problem is, since i formatted thru NMT, i believe it is not showing up when connected to PC. How do i make it appear in PC, in NMT Wiki they have given certain workarounds? Should i follow that or can i do a reformat of the HDD with that software that you mentioned and reinstall in PCH. how many partitions should i create?

Whatever you are comfortable with. I have always found it best to format the drives in NTFS externally through a PC and then use it on media players. That way you do not have any file size limitation and the drive can be accessed by all processors on the network.

For upto 2 TB, one partition is all right. Beyond that size go for two partitions. Please be aware that 3TB and larger drives have to be formatted with GUID as GPT drives. You Windows MBR will not work.

I am based in chennai as well and please let me know when you would be free and i will come over with the PCH. Thanks again.

If you are not able to solve the HDMI display issue, please bring it over during the weekend, and I will be glad to solve that for you.

Cheers

Whatever you are comfortable with. I have always found it best to format the drives in NTFS externally through a PC and then use it on media players. That way you do not have any file size limitation and the drive can be accessed by all processors on the network.

If you are not able to solve the HDMI display issue, please bring it over during the weekend, and I will be glad to solve that for you.
Thanks Venkat.

Now there are two immediate challenges that i have
1. Format the HDD for NTFS. I do not have any connectors to do plug into my pc, frankly have not done that so far, but i can get it done.
2. The PCH - AVR - TV connectivity. Now my samsung TV detects the PCH-A200 but it is being detected as an anyNet+ device and when i still try to connect it says, no anynet+ device found. I don't understand why it is displaying as an AnyNet + device. - I am still trying and if not, guess, i will bring it over to you this weekend.

Thanks Venkat.

I think for the PCH to show up on the network and access it you also need to share, right?

I do not want to connect to the network now, just copy and play media from PCH.
Networking PCH is phase 2

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back