Portable or small Record Players

reubensm

We often relate to the low cost chinese manufactured plastic record players when we hear someting similar to the title of this thread. Also folks are scared of playing their records on portables for fear of damaging them. I found this interesting model that is quite distant from the low cost and low quality stuff that we often relate to. I could not find a suitable thread for this genre of turntable, hence starting a new thread.

PS: there were some high quality and nice sounding small record players (with inbuilt amplifiers and detachable/inbuilt speakers) especially from Philips India in the 1970s.

We often relate to the low cost chinese manufactured plastic record players when we hear someting similar to the title of this thread. Also folks are scared of playing their records on portables for fear of damaging them. I found this interesting model that is quite distant from the low cost and low quality stuff that we often relate to. I could not find a suitable thread for this genre of turntable, hence starting a new thread.

PS: there were some high quality and nice sounding small record players (with inbuilt amplifiers and detachable/inbuilt speakers) especially from Philips India in the 1970s.
True Ruben. There are many portable phonographs which sounds so well. I have the following one and it sounds like a gem.
Stereo valve amplifier and comes in 3 or 4 Speed mechanism.
Mercury (Philips) Portable Tube Record Player Model AG-9115 - 1963

Last edited:
Those record players from Philips really sounded great, compared to others in the same genre. Philips had their own way, when it came to portables, whether radios, record players or cassette recorders. They always seemed to sound better.

A belt-idler portable record player? Sounds like a joke, right? Check this out (check out the sound quality of the repaired record player towards the end of the video)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back