Price Thread: Stabilizers:CVT, Servo, AVT

Pictures please. If possible, the internals..

I took these pics when they installed. Yesterday, our voltage dipped really low with my Fridge stab going crazy. The servo gave a constant 230V though :)

Top view of the stab, you can see the motor:

PCB (RFI/EMI filter is supposedly in this ):

Servo with brush:

]

One more view:

Brush gear:

Transformer/Sensor:

Input Meter (it was 240V):

Output Meter (230V):

]

Hope you can give your views on this. Click the thumbnails to see a higher res view.

Last edited:
Thanks ram for the pics. It looks good. Following are the differences I could found b/n them:

- Vertex stabiliser is having a huge transformer (http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2194/imag0039x.jpg) at the o/p stage (should be minimum 3-4kgs) which i couldnt find in the Alpha. I will ask Manjunath the exact purpose of that.
- The FUSE, Surge suppressor, Filters, connection wires (all are single core in vertex) used in both are different.
- Vertex is having some custom wheels to give more torque (to make the voltage correction as much as quick) and smooth. Also it will reduce the sound during the arm movement.
- The variable voltage coil is bigger in vertex.
- Vertex gives 4 or 5 o/ps.
- The frame in vertex are heavy, they have used very thick iron plates which are welded together.

I could see a big capacitor (not in vertex) next to the servo motor, any idea what it does?

Last edited:
Ajith: Thanks. I will talk to Mr.Gopal about this.

Venkat: Anytime, will be glad to help you, its an honor :)

@All: I got a PM asking if I got the STAB at a special price bcos I posted all these and few other things:

Just wanted to tell you guys again, I bought the stab at the same price as I have posted. I clearly told Mr.Gopal I don't need any preferential treatment :indifferent14:. So I am not getting any personal mileage on this. For me its all about learning. Even with Vertex and Alacrity I have given the contact numbers. So I am not commerically involved in this. I am just helping members like how I did with various prices of Plasma/lcd etc. I know its easy to misjudge ones integrity in an online forum, I can only state :)

Hi Mad,
Do you have any plans of installing an iso-trans along with the servo? I'm just curious to know if there's any difference if you add that to the circuit. On another note, it might appear that there could be a servo/iso-trans shootout in the offing! :D

Hi Mad,
Do you have any plans of installing an iso-trans along with the servo? I'm just curious to know if there's any difference if you add that to the circuit. On another note, it might appear that there could be a servo/iso-trans shootout in the offing! :D

Alpha did a test and have told me not to go for a Iso. Also, since I am in a 7th floor apartment, getting a dedicated earthing done, which means running a thick cable from my apartment to the ground, is impossible as the association wont allow me :(

However, I am trying to see if Mr.Gopal can give a Iso to us for a week and get it installed at Venkat's residence :) (I have not even spoken to Venkat about this yet :) ) to see if Iso makes a difference.

Alpha did a test and have told me not to go for a Iso. Also, since I am in a 7th floor apartment, getting a dedicated earthing done, which means running a thick cable from my apartment to the ground, is impossible as the association wont allow me :(

However, I am trying to see if Mr.Gopal can give a Iso to us for a week and get it installed at Venkat's residence :) (I have not even spoken to Venkat about this yet :) ) to see if Iso makes a difference.

:eek: Ofcourse! I didnt read the thread properly. My bad! Thanks for the efforts. :clapping:

I am impressed with the Vertex using busbar type internal connections. Krykard also does busbars internally.

I had a word with Mr. Bala of Universal Electricals (Vertex brand) and note that M/s Universal Electricals was founded by 5 people who earlier were all with M/s Alacrity Electronics in the 'Krykard' Power Conditioner Division. Hence, can conclude that Krykard & Vertex are essentially very similar in all respects EXCEPT they wear different clothing outside - for obvious reasons! Vertex also uses AC Servo motor hence no brushes and is maintenance free.

@AE, whom did you talk. Servos cannot be brushless, I had clearly shown in the pictures in my thread where the brush comes. Since it wont wear out so easily, we can say it is maintenance free, bot not 100%.

Both the Alpha and Vertex are born from Krykard Engineers.

@Ram,I had a talk with Vertex just now. It seems there are a lot of basic differences in Alfa and Vertex. I will post it later. IMHO, (not to hurt anybody) vertex seems to be far better in the quality of the components used. Its a different story whether we require that kind of quality and i dont know about that.

Along with the differences in my above post, following differences are also there:

The EMI\RF filter is the assembly w/ a big capacitor and the 2 inductors near the motor which is same as the krykard which wont filter all the signals.

Alpha, (not sure) is using dual core variad (variable rounded core) which will reduce the cost and thats why it doesnt have the separate transformer, better have a separate transformer to get the exact 3KVa. Also the difference may be with the copper used (industrial grade in vertex) and the amount of copper used (because of the size and separate transformer) are also different.
Another difference is that the vertex stab. front panel is controlled by a microprocessor and it can show almost all the details and we can tweak also, say we can set the cutoff points, reference point, % of voltage variation and a lot.

Note : I am no way related to Vertex.

Last edited:
Nice points Ajith. Please post the details u gather with respect to Alpha vs Vertex. it will be good to know the weak points. I am all open to it. End of the day we need to know whats correct :)

Sorry for the OT, but could someone suggest a decent (non-servo)stabilizer brand/model that could handle just a 29" CRT and a DVD player? Should I just go in for a run-of-the-mill V-Guards? I really don't want to blow more than 1K on this for now. Thanks!

P.S: Most of the forum search results I got were centered around Digi/Servo/CVT type stabilizers. I'm looking at something more rudimentary and relatively effective...

Sorry for the OT, but could someone suggest a decent (non-servo)stabilizer brand/model that could handle just a 29" CRT and a DVD player? Should I just go in for a run-of-the-mill V-Guards? I really don't want to blow more than 1K on this for now. Thanks!

I have been using V-Guard for two TVs and two DVDs for the last 4 years without any issue. They are quite all right.

There is one point to remember. The V-Guard has no RFI/EMI filter. When I run a split A/c, my CRT images start weaving. I am working on modifying all this over the next few months.

Cheers

P.S: Most of the forum search results I got were centered around Digi/Servo/CVT type stabilizers. I'm looking at something more rudimentary and relatively effective...

Yes it good, check:
http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-accessories/4443-v-gaurd-arrived.html

I have been using V-Guard for two TVs and two DVDs for the last 4 years without any issue. They are quite all right.

There is one point to remember. The V-Guard has no RFI/EMI filter. When I run a split A/c, my CRT images start weaving. I am working on modifying all this over the next few months.

Cheers

Thanks for the input. I should be OK as far as RFI/EMI goes I think, let's see.

I see the thread but it appears that the stab in question is their 'digital' model. I am thinking of their vanilla version, any idea how much it should cost?

Thanks for all the inputs guys, appreciate it much!

AE: Is it possible to build RFI/EMI filters in PCB itself? I see Vertex and Krykard have a separate component for that

I dont think Alpha's EMI\RF is in their PCB. I believe the big capacitor and the inductors near the motor are the filters. The same design is used in krykard (gathered info). Since that kind of filtering is not enough, vertex is having a different kind of filter which is better than the previous design.

Note: Could somebody in the forum post the internal pictures of krykard stab?

I dont think Alpha's EMI\RF is in their PCB. I believe the big capacitor and the inductors near the motor are the filters. The same design is used in krykard (gathered info). Since that kind of filtering is not enough, vertex is having a different kind of filter which is better than the previous design.

Note: Could somebody in the forum post the internal pictures of krykard stab?

No Ajith. They have it in their PCB its confirmed. Alpha and Krykard/Vertex are approaching the same problem with different solution thats all. Spoke to A_E and also a good friend in US who is an Electrical engineer. He confirmed that in US its only done at PCB level and what Krykard/Vertex does is good but its an old technology.

Basically, what Alpha has done should do the job for us. Was relaxed after I spoke to Audio Eng and my friend in detail yesterday.

Also, I did a ground check on Alpha's credentials and they are supplying it and have good feedback from some of the reputed Medical Industry.

No Ajith. They have it in their PCB its confirmed. Alpha and Krykard/Vertex are approaching the same problem with different solution thats all. Spoke to A_E and also a good friend in US who is an Electrical engineer. He confirmed that in US its only done at PCB level and what Krykard/Vertex does is good but its an old technology.

Basically, what Alpha has done should do the job for us. Was relaxed after I spoke to Audio Eng and my friend in detail yesterday.

Also, I did a ground check on Alpha's credentials and they are supplying it and have good feedback from some of the reputed Medical Industry.

The thing is Krykard/Vertex may be far better than the Alpha in the quality of the parts used, but the question is whether we require that much for our purpose (eg, the adv. control panel). Anyways for 6-7K , its a good deal. Also ask them to include 4 or 5 outlets.

Last edited:
Back