Procuring Oppo Players Direct from a U.S Website....

If twas me I'd atleast try shooting them an email about the CC addy problem before jumping...

I was just pointing out a fact for the benefit of others.

I never order anything on the net. Even the 983 I got was ordered for by a friend to whom I paid cash in USD when I was there. I then carried the unit to India myself.

I also got some speakers from a Net only company - Aperion Audio. I drove to their factory in Oregon, paid cash, and picked up the speakers.

If I have to order anything from a company such as Oppo, I would rather make a DD and courier it to them. Personally I am very uncomfortable with using my credit card on the Net. But that is my personal issue.

Cheers

I was just pointing out a fact for the benefit of others....

No offense meant! :) Most of the time I have to order CD's from the US (when i can't find them here in India) and cajole, threaten, beg and chide my friends in the US to be the mules for me... ;)

For me the most hassle free way, is to ask a US friend to pick it up. Many sites create issues about Indian CCs and about the deliveries. Dont know about amazon though.

My experiences ordering direct off the web using my credit card have been pretty decent and smooth. I have a friend who only orders off a credit card, since the points add up. Even groceries and utility bills are paid using the card for this reason.

Yes, the amounts involved for me have not been too (subjective, of course) large. If they had been large and I had chosen not to insure to save on costs, yes, I'd have been worried.

However, credit card transactions on the web are fairly safe, provided you are careful, check the authenticity and rating of the merchant and peruse your CC statements routinely & carefully. At the first sign of a fraud you should immediately inform the card issuer. However, most of the better card companies (I use Citibank) already have a lot of fraud prevention mechanisms in place.

For example, if you have done a transaction from India today and there is a transaction from Bosnia within 4 hours using the same credentials, preventive mechanisms kick in. Also, if there is a decent value transaction in Bangkok when you are a Delhi card user, the card company would immediately call you up and ask to confirm the transaction. This works most of the time. Only, if you actually are in Bangkok and have done a transaction, you WILL run up the ISD charge for this call! ;-)

Of course, having a friend/relative who can cart your orders in is the best option! No debate there.

Thanks spiro. Got to know about this a while back. Only the pricing is quite ridiculous and more like highway robbery IMHO. 42K for the 983 is way too much.

BTW the U.S. site seems to have stopped selling the 983 and instead has "To be replaced with our upcoming OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player" listed on the price + purchase option. Don't how long the Indian website will continue to sell the 983. I dread to even think what the Indian Oppo website will charge for the OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player...

yes, shipped to gk2. will b abl to revert on other cost details by evening, at leisure. in the middle of office at this time. apologies.

Thanks spiro. Got to know about this a while back. Only the pricing is quite ridiculous and more like highway robbery IMHO. 42K for the 983 is way too much.

BTW the U.S. site seems to have stopped selling the 983 and instead has "To be replaced with our upcoming OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player" listed on the price + purchase option. Don't how long the Indian website will continue to sell the 983. I dread to even think what the Indian Oppo website will charge for the OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Player...

I just hope the damn player is region free for blu ray. Other than that it looks yummy ....

yes, shipped to gk2. will b abl to revert on other cost details by evening, at leisure. in the middle of office at this time. apologies.

No problemo. But let us know whenever you can find the info.
If the blu ray player is region free i plan to order one via offline form.

I just hope the damn player is region free for blu ray. Other than that it looks yummy ....

If they are replacing the 983 with the BD Player, they better make it region free. Otherwise they will lose all their non-US market. I yet feel the same codes in all the DVD Players will work on the BD player also.

Cheers

In an attempt to revive the Great OPPO debate, I'd like to share my recent experience on buying the player directly from abroad and receiving it in Bombay.

CRT Projectors Home Cinema Experts are the authorised distributors for Oppo in the UK. They were having (maybe it's still on) a special promotion on the Oppo DV-981HD for 115 pounds. That's pretty good considering the pound is at available at a good rate compared to the Rupee.

So on 5th of January 2009 after exchange of E-mails I paid for the Oppo. The final price was 100 pounds(no VAT charges) + 89.99 pounds shipping. The player was shipped on the 5th itself through Parcelforce. The package was being tracked at every stage, which was reassuring. It reached Bombay customs on the 7th, was finally cleared by them on the 12th & delivered to me yesterday. Customs charged Rs. 2453/- which I gave to the Indian Post's postman. The postman actually called me on 13th morning and took an appointment for 1.30pm and asked me to keep the cash ready (A neat gesture I thought).

So there you have it. The player had been opened by customs, but was neatly packed again. The player looks solid. The AC pin is the american type, for which i'll need to hunt around for an adapter/new cable. Total cost 189.99 pounds: Rs. 13870 + Rs. 2453 (customs) = Rs. 16323.

In an attempt to revive the Great OPPO debate, I'd like to share my recent experience on buying the player directly from abroad and receiving it in Bombay.

CRT Projectors Home Cinema Experts are the authorised distributors for Oppo in the UK. They were having (maybe it's still on) a special promotion on the Oppo DV-981HD for 115 pounds. That's pretty good considering the pound is at available at a good rate compared to the Rupee.

So on 5th of January 2009 after exchange of E-mails I paid for the Oppo. The final price was 100 pounds(no VAT charges) + 89.99 pounds shipping. The player was shipped on the 5th itself through Parcelforce. The package was being tracked at every stage, which was reassuring. It reached Bombay customs on the 7th, was finally cleared by them on the 12th & delivered to me yesterday. Customs charged Rs. 2453/- which I gave to the Indian Post's postman. The postman actually called me on 13th morning and took an appointment for 1.30pm and asked me to keep the cash ready (A neat gesture I thought).

So there you have it. The player had been opened by customs, but was neatly packed again. The player looks solid. The AC pin is the american type, for which i'll need to hunt around for an adapter/new cable. Total cost 189.99 pounds: Rs. 13870 + Rs. 2453 (customs) = Rs. 16323.

Great saikat,
thanks for posting your experience in detail with all figures. Helps a lot

Now i can safely say we have a couple of sources to procure Oppo players from. Indian distributors charging insane prices can now officially take a hike.

Im waiting on the upcoming blu ray player depending on the indian/u.s prices i would decide where to order from once i confirm that the Oppo BD player is also region free for blu ray playback.

Offer is still on.I asked for 980 which was caculated around 17k INR.
They said 981 willbe discontinued ,so the "OFFER".not for 980.

Offer is still on.I asked for 980 which was caculated around 17k INR.
They said 981 willbe discontinued ,so the "OFFER".not for 980.

I initially had a 981 but when I heard the 980, the audio was really superb. So I decided to return th 981 and get th 980. This is testament to the audio abilities of the 980 as its withstood the test of time. The 981/83 are being phases out, so that leaves the budget 980 with the forth coming BR player that will no doubt cost a fortune (even in teh US) going by Oppo's history despite the quality products they put out.

The BR player, when it comes out, wont play DVDA as of yet due to technical challenges (no universal BR player can do it at this time), so there goes one feature from the famed Oppo set.

If I was looking for a BR player, I would not wait on Oppo at this time simply from the pricing perspective. PS3 or stand alone Sony/Pana players offer a much better value in my opinion even though people may wrangle about SACD support and other things. I am still unsure as to how many people can purchase the SACD given their pricing and limited title availability.

If you are looking for a very cheap upscaling player, any used Toshiba HD like the A30, A35, etc. (remember the HD DVD - BR war?) player will do. They go for dirt cheap now esp. in the US and are considered one of the best upscaling players in the business. Also they had support for high res audio in the first generation models which they removed in the second gen! but definitely worth a look.

I initially had a 981 but when I heard the 980, the audio was really superb. So I decided to return th 981 and get th 980. This is testament to the audio abilities of the 980 as its withstood the test of time.

How would you rate the 980H as compared to a budget CDP like Marantz CD6002 or CA640cV2 ?

TIA

Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back