PS3 Blu-Ray Laser Goes Bad if you play pirated DVDs?

Pratters

If I play pirated DVDs on PS3, will the blu-ray laser go bad? If I play non-pirated DVDs in general, will the blu-ray laser go bad?

What you think means a pirated DVD/BR/CD ....... it just means that you have not bought the original stuff BUT a copied/replicated material, for which you have not paid the designated amount. Pirated discs are mostly an exact digital replica of the original, sold much cheaper than the original.

Its has nothing to do with making the lense of a player bad in any way......

GLAD to know this and it is logical explanation. What about playing DVDs regardless of whether original or pirated on the PS3? Will that have an effect on the blu-ray laser?

GLAD to know this and it is logical explanation. What about playing DVDs regardless of whether original or pirated on the PS3? Will that have an effect on the blu-ray laser?

Nope... unless the disc is of tooo low quality and breaks while spinning :D

What about playing DVDs regardless of whether original or pirated on the PS3? Will that have an effect on the blu-ray laser?
As tempted as I am to say, yes pirated discs will damage your players laser, since I am against piracy, the fact is there is absolutely NO reason, technical or otherwise, that a pirated disc could damage the laser of a player. That is, not unless the pirated disc is physically of very poor quality and actually has a chance of breeaking up inside the player.

PS: The player is a dumb machine and it has no way to know whether a disc is pirated or not.

^^ Being against piracy is a Good practice, but that does not daviates form the fact that pirated discs have nothing to do with player's lense damage..... :)

^^ mmm maybe I misinterpreted your post then ..... In that case accept my apologies....... :)

^^ mmm maybe I misinterpreted your post then ..... In that case accept my apologies....... :)
Accepted. But, it might serve you well to read more carefully before reacting, in the future.
As tempted as I am to say, yes pirated discs will damage your players laser, since I am against piracy, the fact is there is absolutely NO reason, technical or otherwise, that a pirated disc could damage the laser of a player. That is, not unless the pirated disc is physically of very poor quality and actually has a chance of breeaking up inside the player.

PS: The player is a dumb machine and it has no way to know whether a disc is pirated or not.

What about playing DVDs regardless of whether original or pirated on the PS3? Will that have an effect on the blu-ray laser?
I just realized that your question is whether playing a DVD on the PS3 will damage (wear out) it's 'blue' laser. The answer to it too, is NO, it won't. The DVD is played, using a seperate, Red laser. The 'Red' laser, is in fact, used to play all disc formats that the PS3 can play, except for Blu-ray discs. The 'Blue' laser on the other hand, is used to play only Blu-ray discs.

The DVD is played, using a seperate, Red laser. The 'Red' laser, is in fact, used to play all disc formats that the PS3 can play, except for Blu-ray discs. The 'Blue' laser on the other hand, is used to play only Blu-ray discs.

That technique is not the defacto standard. In older PS3 models a single laser was used that used to adjust/change the wavelength according to the media played. Its only in the recent models they have come up with dual laser technique.

Last edited:
That technique is not the defacto standard. In older PS3 models a single laser was used that used to adjust/change the wavelength according to the media played. Its only in the recent models they have come up with dual laser technique.
Thanks for elaborating that fact. The following should help determine what applies to one's PS3.

1. PS3 20GB/60GB/80GB (Original PS3 models) typically use a 'Single Laser Eye' (400A)
2. PS3 40GB (Newer PS3 model) typically use a 'Dual Laser Eye' (410A)
3. PS3 Slim (All current models) use a 'Dual Laser Eye' (450A)

According to PS Forums US, there seems to be few 80 GB & 40 GB with dual lenses. A copy paste for our guys

Single Laser Lens Model PS3's: Laser Model# KES-400A Deck Model# KEM-400AAA

CECHE01 80GB system (not the MGS4 Bundle Edition)

CECHA01 60GB system

CECHG01 40GB system (earlier models of this model#)

CECHB01 20GB system

Dual Laser Lens Model PS3's: Laser Model# KES-410A Deck Model# KEM-410ACA

CECHP01 160GB system

CECHL01 80GB system

CECHK01 80GB system

CECHE01 80GB MGS4 Bundle system

CECHH01 40GB system

CECHG01 40GB system (later models of this model#)

Just a bit off topic, after Tecky's post I checked the model no of my PS3 and which is CECHL08. And this seems to be a Russian PS3 model. Now my question is that how come a Russian model being end up here in India? Or all Indian PS3 models are from Russian batch only? I suspected this when I tried to connect to PSN for the first time and the menu came in Russian.

I have PS3 slim (not 160 gb) bought from Singapore around eight months ago. Does it have two lasers or one?

EDIT- It might be 160 GB. I am not sure. It is the standard PS3 Slim which is available in US for Rs. 15000.

Last edited:
I have PS3 slim (not 160 gb) bought from Singapore around eight months ago. Does it have two lasers or one?

Please find the CECH number of your model - It should be located in the rear left in a form of white sticker. From the CECH number you should be able to find if it's dual or single

Please find the CECH number of your model - It should be located in the rear left in a form of white sticker. From the CECH number you should be able to find if it's dual or single

I will go to Calcutta only after 2 months. Will find out then in that case.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back