PS3 - How to find the DVD Region code and Blu-Ray Region code?

senthilsss

Hello all:

Can somebody guide me how to find the region codes for DVD and Blu-Ray for my Sony PS3?

As per the manual, it says

• DVD = 2
  • Blu-Ray = B

But, I want to find out this directly from the player as the Sony folks are saying the manual may be wrong.

Senthil:

At the back of your unit, there should be a No. which goes something like CECH etc etc. Note that no. and go to this site and check. Also check all
other info you need on the audio and video formats etc.

PlayStation 3 Secrets

Hope this helps.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Hi Senthil

Your Blu ray and DVD region is UK, Ireland.

Regards

Subbu

Video: Panny 32 LCD, PS3, Sony DVP-NS78H, Samsung DVD-P365H, WDTV, Big TV.
Audio: Yamaha RX-V661, Sansui G-5000, Hand Made Towers for stereo, Pioneer Linear Power for HT with Onkyo SL-107 powered sub.

@Sub:

Yes! I can understand that from the code. However, that is as per the manual. I want to find out from the player or the box serial number. I checked every option in the player and am not able to find any.

I will check as Shailendar said and get back.

I looked at the box and the model number listed as CECH2008A.

• CECH-20 stands for 120GB model released on Nov 2009
  • 08 stands for the region which is Russia and India
  • A stands for 120GB, B stands for 250GB

And also, the box listed the region code as "5" for DVD and "C" for Blu-Ray.

PS: I was confused as the manual said "2" for DVD and "B" for Blu-Ray

Thanks
Senthil

Last edited:
I'm planning to get a Sony PS3 from Malaysia through a friend. I'm a little confused with region codes. Will a PS3 brought from Malaysia play discs purchased in India? Is it worth getting it from there because I'll probably save a couple of thousands?

My friend will be getting it in the Kuala Lumpur Airport duty free shopping area. If it is available in Bangalore Airport duty free, is it better to get it from Bangalore duty free itself?

The Ps3 you buy from Malaysia would comply to Region A for Blu Ray and Region 3 For Dvds whereas in India we follow region C for BluRays and Region 5 for DVds.

The Ps3 you buy from Malaysia would comply to Region A for Blu Ray and Region 3 For Dvds whereas in India we follow region C for BluRays and Region 5 for DVds.

So, you are saying that it is not worth getting it from Malaysia? What about the duty free shop in Bangalore Airport? Will it be Region C & 5 or will it be Region A & 3? I'm assuming the items available in duty free shops are shipped from Singapore.

If the duty free shop at the airport has all the stuff sourced from Singapore then it has to be the same region code as Malaysia i.e A and 3 but if it sources the stuff from Sony India then it could be region C and 5.

You won't be disappointed with your purchase from Malaysia either as most Blu Ray titles avaliable in India are either region Free and if you start sourcing your disks from US then it would make more sense in that case.

Now if you look at the negative side of this:
At this time all the studios are trying to create awareness among us Indians the superiority of this new Medium i.e Blu Ray so they are keeping it region free but once that part is over then it might be a different story altogether and new movies released in Indian would adhere to proper Disk coding and in that case your Malaysian Region Coded palyer won't be able to play those disks and you will have to resort only to imports from US or Singapore.

Last edited:
PS3 from HongKong

I have a similiar query. I am thinking of getting a PS3 Slim 250Gb from Hong Kong. I know PS3 games are region-free, but what about DVDs/Blu-rays. Are the one's available in india going to play on them ?

I think this will answer a lot of your queries
PlayStation 3 Secrets

AFAIS, Bluray discs are all region independent. I own a PS3 that plays EVERY bluray you throw at it, save for the Chinese regions.

I have the CECHH version.

I intend to buy discs from USA. I think they should work.

Re: PS3 from HongKong

I have a similiar query. I am thinking of getting a PS3 Slim 250Gb from Hong Kong. I know PS3 games are region-free, but what about DVDs/Blu-rays. Are the one's available in india going to play on them ?

Well, the PS 3 is very tightly region crippled and there's no way to change this - at least to my knowledge.

I have my doubts that the HK PS 3 is going to play DVDs from other regions apart from Region 3 (HK is in region 3, I think?).

Blu-ray playback is going to be a check-before-you-buy-the-disc affair. If the BDs are all region, and many are, then there's no problem, it should work. But it will NOT work with Region coded BDs from another region.

Last edited:
AFAIS, Bluray discs are all region independent. I own a PS3 that plays EVERY bluray you throw at it, save for the Chinese regions.
That is not correct. PS3s are very much region dependent and in fact there is no hack till date to break the region coding on PS3s. You may be confusing blu-ray disks with PS3 games, which are not region coded and thus play on PS3s from all regions.
I have the CECHH version.
Actually the 'CECHH' you mention is an incomplete model number. This portion of the model number only tells you that your PS3 is a 40GB PS3 with the 65nm Cell & 65nm RSX processor. The alphabets are followed by 2 digit numbers. It is these two digits that identify the Region/Country of the PS3 and thus which region blu-ray discs the PS3 is compatible with.

The following list can be used to determine which Region the PS3 is compatible with:
'xx' these two digits identify the Region/Country

'00' represents 'Japan' which is 'Blu-ray - Region A' & 'DVD - Region 2 'NTSC')
'01' represents 'North America' which is 'Blu-ray - Region A' & 'DVD - Region 1 'NTSC')
'02' represents 'Australia/New Zealand' which are 'Blu-ray - Region B' & 'DVD - Region 4 'NTSC/PAL')
'03' represents 'U.K./Ireland' which are 'Blu-ray - Region B' & 'DVD - Region 2 'NTSC/PAL')
'04' represents 'Europe/Middle East/Africa' which are 'Blu-ray - Region B' & 'DVD - Region 2 'NTSC/PAL')
'06' represents 'Singapore' which is 'Blu-ray - Region A' & 'DVD - Region 3 'NTSC')
'08' represents 'India/Russia' which are 'Blu-ray - Region C' & 'DVD - Region 5 'NTSC/PAL')

I intend to buy discs from USA. I think they should work.
If you intend to buy Blu-ray discs (Region A encoded) from the US, then make sure your PS3 model number ends with either '00', '01' or '06'. If you intend to buy DVDs (Region 1 encoded) from the US, then make sure your PS3 model number ends with '01'.
Blu-rays that are A/B/C encoded and DVDs that are Region free will of course play on all PS3s.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back