Purchased Yamaha YHT 196 Today @ 20,999

Hi, i too purchased Yamaha YHT 196 on 28th Oct 2012 and since then, the moment I am home, i switch it on and must say, a good choice. Each and every sound from it is different. I did explore Sony, Panasonic, LG, Onkyo and even went to Bose....Bose indeed had a mindblowing sound quality but, way out of budget. Yamaha was next bet, to Bose. This has a crystal clear sound, too good sound variations. You'll just love it.

My tech friends, I am unable to connet the Panasonic (32LED) though it has the HDMI port as well as the ARC. So as of now, my connections are: through the usual Red, Yellow, White cables (sound out from TataSky STB to sound in of the YHT + video out from STB to TV in), thus if i see any program on TV, the sound in the YHT is from STB directly. the DVD player is not yet connected. I listen music through USB (connected in TV) and have to select a different audio channel in the YHT.

how would the 3 HDMI in would help (in relation to 1 HDMI out) and what is the role of ARC slot in TV?

Hi, i am buying sony 32BX350 LCD and with it planing to buy Yamaha YTH-196 this week end. I have Tata sky SD STB. I play movie/musinc from LCD USB, do not have DVD player. I have below queries, would be grateful if you can advise.

(1)Would it be possible to connect Sony LCD to YTH using TV HDMI out ?
(2)I don't want to switch on YTH while watching TV programs, i will use it for Music & Movie only from TV. Can i do this, without hassle ? can i toggle between TV speaker and YTH easily ?

Thanks.

Hi, i am buying sony 32BX350 LCD and with it planing to buy Yamaha YTH-196 this week end. I have Tata sky SD STB. I play movie/musinc from LCD USB, do not have DVD player. I have below queries, would be grateful if you can advise.

(2)I don't want to switch on YTH while watching TV programs, i will use it for Music & Movie only from TV. Can i do this, without hassle ? can i toggle between TV speaker and YTH easily ?

Thanks.

1) Yamaha 196 cannot decode hd audio through HDMI. You may want to use the optical connection for that.

Does your tv have a optical out ?

2) BTW yes, you just need to turn off the 196 and change the sound output in TV to tv speakers and you are good to go with ordinary tv programs playing on tv speakers and vice versa.

It would be much better to change to HD STB and use its optical out (dont know whether TATASky provide DD sound through hdmi or optical out), so that you could get the 5.1 sound too from 196.

Thanks.

1. If your TV has HDMI ARC port, you can connect YHT-196 to the TV through it.
2. Yamaha YHT-196 supports HDMI CEC. If your TV also supports HDMI CEC, it should be able to detect on/off actions of YHT-196 and automatically change sound output to TV speakers or to the AVR accordingly.

Last edited:
Hi Guys new to this forum. I bought a Sony dv640. I should have seen this post before buying Sony. Thank god that i realized before it was to late. I returned Sony and took Yamaha.
I have a Samsung LCD32 , PS3 and Videocon HD its unfortune that sony does not have a input for alteast optical. If you just want to get 5.1 from DVD or USB sony is good. But for PS3 or DTH to get 5.1 you need AV Reciever like Yamaha. Videocon has coaxical waiting for the installation guys to set it up.

^^ Welcome to HFV. That was an intelligent move to return the Sony and get the Yamaha. Now enjoy your system.

Purchased Sony DAV-340 HT finally with Sony 32BX 32" LCD TV. I did not find bass of Yamaha good while movie playback. I am not expert in sound, but, while playing music and movie i found Sony HT better.

Sorry to disappoint you but I think later will you realize that Yamaha was a better choice.
If the DVD player of Sony stops working the whole system will be useless. You will not get 5.1 surround from any external source.
Bass can be tweaked by cleaver placement of subwoofer and you can also increase the sub input level. Did you check the sub level before cancelling Yamaha?

If there is option, return it....

Purchased Sony DAV-340 HT finally with Sony 32BX 32" LCD TV. I did not find bass of Yamaha good while movie playback. I am not expert in sound, but, while playing music and movie i found Sony HT better.
Congratulations on your purchase. I also find YHT-196 bass a bit weaker. I'm thinking of buying an active subwoofer.

Experts, please suggest some budget subwoofers that can be used with YHT-196 system. Room size: 16 ft X 16 ft; Listening: 60% Music (mostly FM) and 40% movies (HD channels).

Last edited:
with what file you testeed yamaha 196......
With no specific files as such. I've just played some mp3 hindi songs, FM, Tron Legacy BR disc and HD channels (Movies Now, Star Movies etc).

I can feel the bass, however, it's not as deep, tight and strong as I would like.

Please suggest me some tracks to test it.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back