Purchased Yamaha YHT 196 Today @ 20,999

With no specific files as such. I've just played some mp3 hindi songs, FM, Tron Legacy BR disc and HD channels (Movies Now, Star Movies etc).

I can feel the bass, however, it's not as deep, tight and strong as I would like.

Please suggest me some tracks to test it.

where did you place ur sub? it has to be like in this pic (yamaha manual)

abmQPM7e.png

@Nero9, it's none of the above :)

Let me elaborate, I've my satellite speakers wall mounted at the upper corners of the room. The sub cannot be placed beyond those speakers not even in the corners as there is no proper place for it there. My subwoofer is placed not in the center either. It's placed between center speaker and right satellite speaker.

@Nero9, it's none of the above :)

Let me elaborate, I've my satellite speakers wall mounted at the upper corners of the room. The sub cannot be placed beyond those speakers not even in the corners as there is no proper place for it there. My subwoofer is placed not in the center either. It's placed between center speaker and right satellite speaker.

forget about speakers buddy. Just turn and place the sub in the angle shown in the pic either like in A or B position but not like in C position (fail) you ll see the improvement in bass immediately for sure. ;) otherwise you have to adjust with that bass or else tweak the settings until u see some improvement. :)

forget about speakers buddy. Just turn and place the sub in the angle shown in the pic either like in A or B position but not like in C position (fail) you ll see the improvement in bass immediately for sure. ;) otherwise you have to adjust with that bass or else tweak the settings until u see some improvement. :)

Yep, it's placed at angle. I've also adjusted the Tone control such that bass is +4dB and Treble is 0dB. I don't think the tone control setting has any effect on subwoofer output. I even tweaked Eq settings and adjusted speaker levels with SPL meter (iPhone app). While all this and the wall mount stands have improved the performance, it's still not there and I think, the subwoofer is the weakest link.

I'm overall happy with this system. Only thing is, just a bit better bass performance would have made it the perfect system for me.

BTW, have you bought this system? If yes, a mini review would help. :)

Yep, it's placed at angle. I've also adjusted the Tone control such that bass is +4dB and Treble is 0dB. I don't think the tone control setting has any effect on subwoofer output. I even tweaked Eq settings and adjusted speaker levels with SPL meter (iPhone app). While all this and the wall mount stands have improved the performance, it's still not there and I think, the subwoofer is the weakest link.

I'm overall happy with this system. Only thing is, just a bit better bass performance would have made it the perfect system for me.

BTW, have you bought this system? If yes, a mini review would help. :)

nope..got a quote for 23k including philips bd player from reliance digital but thinking of audition for sony bdv e90 as well it's also at same price 23k ll decide and buy next week. and yes if i get 196 i ll definately post a review.

Thanks rajiv
but i want address of dealer in Delhi so that i can take demo of HTiB

Bought the 196 from "Reliance Digital" at Shipra mall, Indirapuram, near Sec-61 Noida, after a whole day of visiting number of dealers who could not provide a demo....INR 20,999 and Philips Blu-Ray for 1,999 as a deal!!!

The guy knew his Ohms!!!

Hi,

Greetings for the day....

Bought YHT-196 bundled with a Philips Blu-Ray Player BDP - 2600/94 two days back....

did not wait for the installation guy!!!
and installed it myself....
need the setup paired with Samsung plasma 43" 450 or Samsung LCD 32"---- still gotta decide!!!

I use my cable operator's STB (operator is CCN-DEN) in Delhi....

Please advise on how to get the best out of the whole setup!!!

Regards,

You need HD STB to take full advantage of the HTiB and HD TV. Connect hdmi out of stb to hdmi in of avr. From avr connect hdmi out to hdmi in of TV. Some times you will need to connect an optical cable from stb to receiver for getting 5.1 channel sound. So what kind of outputs your cable stb has?

The STB has just AV outputs....good old Red-Yellow-White trio....
cannot upgrade to an HD STB as i got 9 screens in the house and have got a cracker of a deal from the operator on that basis!!!
Moreover....i am satisfied with the video quality of the STB.
I will be using the Yamaha primarily for music playback and movies through the BR Player.... so its the BR player and Yamaha integration that i am more concerned about!!!

Can i not use the AV outputs of the STB???

Regards,

.... so its the BR player and Yamaha integration that i am more concerned about!!!

Regards,
Congratulations friend on your purchase!

This integration should be the simplest of all. All you need is two HDMI cables. Connect your BR player to the AVR's HDMI in port (recommended HDMI 1 port so that you can select it by pressing BD DVD button on the remote) using one cable and connect the other HDMI cable from your AVR's HDMI out port to the TV. Don't forget to choose bitstream as output encoding from your BR players setup menu so that your YHT-196 decodes the DD or dts signals and outputs surround sound (instead of just stereo).

Last edited:
Hi all,

Im in a bit of a dilemma here.
Was considering buying the Onkyo 3400 for 28000. Came across this page today and wondering should in pick the Yamaha 196 for 21000. Both deals from reliance digital Mumbai.
Im going mostly going to use it for watching cable tv 70% is music 30%. Its for the living room for my folks.
Setting up the real soundsystem in my bedroom ... thats where are the music and HD movies gets played.
The dilemma is when I have friends over its obvious we hang out in the living room and thats where the live concerts ranging from Simon and Garfunkel to Bob Marley get played after the weekend EPL.
So not sure if I should choose the yamaha over the onkyo. After a lot of speculation I have ruled out the PIONEER HOME THEATRE SY HTP071
The living room area is around 100sq ft. in a L-shape
Really cant afford 2 hts but just wondering if the additional 7k will be worth it.
Any suggestion my brothers. Thanks

PS: I am a new member. I tried to start a new thread for this question but could not find the option. Thanks again

Hi all,

Im in a bit of a dilemma here.
Was considering buying the Onkyo 3400 for 28000. Came across this page today and wondering should in pick the Yamaha 196 for 21000. Both deals from reliance digital Mumbai.
Im going mostly going to use it for watching cable tv 70% is music 30%. Its for the living room for my folks.
Setting up the real soundsystem in my bedroom ... thats where are the music and HD movies gets played.
The dilemma is when I have friends over its obvious we hang out in the living room and thats where the live concerts ranging from Simon and Garfunkel to Bob Marley get played after the weekend EPL.
So not sure if I should choose the yamaha over the onkyo. After a lot of speculation I have ruled out the PIONEER HOME THEATRE SY HTP071
The living room area is around 100sq ft. in a L-shape
Really cant afford 2 hts but just wondering if the additional 7k will be worth it.
Any suggestion my brothers. Thanks

PS: I am a new member. I tried to start a new thread for this question but could not find the option. Thanks again

First thing I am Yamaha fan..from bikes to AV receivers. Whatever they make, make with quality....But too late and overlook competitors..

Now, why old Onkyo 3400 when you can get 3500 at 27k? Just go for 3500 cause I was in same position as you and 3500 will ahead in terms of features. It has all decoding capabilities, HDMI 1.4, USB Connectivity (for Music only not video).

I was planing to buy YHT-196, I never audition thesy type of systems in Croma cause they dont have any interest selling them over consumer brands. They keep all speakers together over receiver and play mp3 files over USB. (..Just for example...munni..shila....:mad:)
These are professional brands and should be auditioned in proper setup environment.
Thankfully I was lucky to audition them side by side. Onkyo is excellent for Movies.Bass is just awesome:yahoo:. Yamaha is bit good for Music but not much difference.
Just last week, for second home, we bought Denon-1312xp over 3500, just for Passive sub , thinking it might give better base at home but strangely 3500 outperformed Denon too.

hear them.
what hd stb do you have by the way
some say onk 3400 is better..some say yamaha 196 is...

my idea...get separates.as you said you hang out with bob marley songs....so a htib wont do anyway.....here is a very budget solution.
avr denon 1312 will do 21k...sonodyne pair of fronts 9k......very strong system against htibs...
any second hand avr will be perfect...a onkyo avr is on sale in pune only at 7.5k..check sale section
later when strong in budget buy a astonia sub 12k and a sonodyne centre 7k.

considering the second hand avr you will be having a real strong system at about
35k............much much much better than a same priced htib pack...
in your room they will be like super future prrof and a lot lot better thabn a htib pack.

otherwise pick onkyo or yamaha any according to your ears...

Musicheart .... So true about the ...munni..shila... Demos.
Also true about them stacking the speaker over the amp and jamming the subwoofer somewhere in the middle. This was the case for the Yamaha,but requested the guy there if he could set it up for me to audition and he said thats fine. So next time I will audition it for sure. Also did not carry any cds with me when I went to the Showroom , but will definately make it a point to carry one next time. I think 'seven nation army' should do the trick to check out the Bass. : )
One difference is between the Onkyo 3500 and 3400 is that the later has Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction Audyssey Dynamic Volume to Maintain Optimal Listening Level and Dynamic Range (from onkyo website)
Read people complaining about the removal of that feature in the 3500. Does this make a big difference is sound quality?

Thanks prosenjit.
Not finalized on the HD stb as yet. In fact not even moved into my new place. Will be in the coming week. I am considering tatasky at the moment, but the local cable guy said he can also provide a HD stb and 21 channels in hd for half the rate for tatasky. Also I have 3 tvs in all so have to work out a good deal.
Coming to idea ... I will need to buy a htib and set in up right away in the living room and as mentioned earlier will have to build my system in my bedroom from scratch.
So maybe when im having guest over I can switch the systems from my bedroom to the living for that day.
What say ... will that make sense... instead of investing in 2 highend sound systems!!!
Cheers!!!

ok here am attaching my bookshelf speakers which were Thomson company and a local company truwave subwoofer. can i attach this sub and speakers to yamaha 196 to get better output.? the speakers are rated as 4ohms 50W and the subwoofer rating i don't know. ll it be a good idea to hook up this with yamaha receiver..? the speakers deliver a clear sound with good amount of bass and the subwoofer produce a very deep bass effect.

http://i.imgbox.com/adi363XM.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/adpbFEzw.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/adsNmYBf.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/aczOHdXy.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/adkjUtMt.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/acwtASbS.jpg

hear them.
what hd stb do you have by the way
some say onk 3400 is better..some say yamaha 196 is...

It's a vertical comparison and less of a horizontal one. In regards to sound, the Yamaha is plain bad, there are no ifs or buts about it.
A pair of Cambridge audio s30 bookshelves on a topping for 8.5+4.5 = 13,000 will completely crush the 196's sonic presence in every possible regard.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back