Purchased Yamaha YHT 196 Today @ 20,999

Hey guys,
Can you please help me out here...
I have my HTPC hooked to YHT 196 and the center speaker sounds tinny during dialogues...especially female dialogues like opening of Fellowship of the Ring.
Can you guys help me set up avr with correct settings like levels and crossover freq?

Hey guys,
Can you please help me out here...
I have my HTPC hooked to YHT 196 and the center speaker sounds tinny during dialogues...especially female dialogues like opening of Fellowship of the Ring.
Can you guys help me set up avr with correct settings like levels and crossover freq?

Try keeping center as Large,this may work.

Yes that might work. But be careful, do not use max volume otherwise the speaker might be damaged.
I think your crossover setting should be between 120 - 150. Try different setting to see which one sounds best.

With that crossover,speaker will work without issue. Soundstage will improve though.

Hi,
I need a HT for my living room (size - 16'x14'). It will be mostly used for watching TV and movies. I want to know from you guys is YHT-196 a good buy? Getting it for 20,990 at reliance plus they are giving a Blu ray player free.
First I was planning to get Yht-298, which is costing me 31k plus he is asking for 5k as installation charges. Is it worth spending 15k more or should I opt for Yht 196?

Hey guys. I have purchased YHT 196 a while back. All properly calibrated using SPL and bitstreaming everything via mpc-hc.. However recently I have noticed that at around -6dB and upwards.. I get weird distortion like sand paper on floor kinda noise. It is ONLY present in Right front and left surround . Its low but it is very much there. I tried hooking different speakers to different wires and its all fine. The wires and everything.
I was wondering if it could be cause of speaker damage or would that cause distortion all the time? I have changed from audio decoder to every setting on avr. Still it is there. MPC has alittle more than XBMC.

AVR settings-
All speakers set to small.
Adaptive DRC ON
Dynamic Range MAX
Crossover 110hz

Thanks

Last edited:
Morning.

I purchased a Yamaha YHT 196 day before.
The Configuration I have made is as follows:
Tata Sky HD ---> HDMI --->Yamaha
BD DVD Player ---> HDMI --->Yamaha
XBOX 360 ---> HDMI --->Yamaha

Yamaha --->HDMI ---> LED TV.

Now the major issue I am facing are two:
1. Whenever I am gaming, watching a DVD or even Tata sky the screen suddenly goes blank for about 1-2 seconds and when it restarts shows the 1080@50Hz or 60 Hz. Now I can live with this during a movie I suppose but its bloody annoying when you playing a game and your screen blanks out.
Is this a TV Issue or a Yamaha Issue. Needless to say I need to fix it.
2. The moment I start seeing television on Tata Sky HD the amp changes from a 5 channel config to 2 channels. Not your typical "surround sound"

Guys do let me know how I can fix the above issues.

Much appreciated.

My brother bought YHT 196 few months ago but when he listens to the separtes that I have (Yamaha 373 + Dali lektor 2 BS and Lektor LCR center), he feels dissapointed about his purchase. Can he buy a decent pair of BS to improve the listening experince? What are the possible combinations?

TIA,
Rikhi

Dear All,

Finally I purchased Yamaha YHT 196 couple of days back from Reliance Digital. Could not write earlier as was out of station for a while. Got offer of Philips BD player for 3000/- and 196 for 23,500/-.

Have got it installed thru the Yamaha person. Speaker mount 450/- per piece. Got stock wires auto stick to wall as suggested by the person.

Initially I was looking for setup in my leaving room and was considering Waferdale MS100 HCP + Yamaha AVR, but later I decided to do setup for my Bedroom which is 9*9, hence decided to go for Yamaha 196.

Overall I am satisfied with the sound output. Can hear surround sound all around !! Overall great experience and value for money. Checked both DTS and DD system. Played couple of AC3 and AAC formats. For AAC (6channels) format it shows PCM in the display but can feel sound similar to DD - Channels.

Have checked using both HDMI as well as coaxial (Bandridge) to connect from BD player to AVR. Works great.

Just want to thanks everyone here in the forum, especially Rupam for helping to finalize my home theater system.

AAC 6 channel audio is not supported by many AVRs. You will hear only virtual surround sound as the avr will decode only 2 channel aac. If you have a media player or htpc, AAC can be converted to DD or 6 channel PCM.

AAC 6 channel audio is not supported by many AVRs. You will hear only virtual surround sound as the avr will decode only 2 channel aac. If you have a media player or htpc, AAC can be converted to DD or 6 channel PCM.

In that case, if I am using AAC 6 channels but want to get best out of it then what would be the best setting in the AVR .i.e should I keep as Dolby-movie, Dolby pro-logic or what..or do I need to think to convert from AAC 6 channels to DD and then use it in straight mode?

Dear All,

Finally I purchased Yamaha YHT 196 couple of days back from Reliance Digital. Could not write earlier as was out of station for a while. Got offer of Philips BD player for 3000/- and 196 for 23,500/-.

Have got it installed thru the Yamaha person. Speaker mount 450/- per piece. Got stock wires auto stick to wall as suggested by the person.

Initially I was looking for setup in my leaving room and was considering Waferdale MS100 HCP + Yamaha AVR, but later I decided to do setup for my Bedroom which is 9*9, hence decided to go for Yamaha 196.

Overall I am satisfied with the sound output. Can hear surround sound all around !! Overall great experience and value for money. Checked both DTS and DD system. Played couple of AC3 and AAC formats. For AAC (6channels) format it shows PCM in the display but can feel sound similar to DD - Channels.

Have checked using both HDMI as well as coaxial (Bandridge) to connect from BD player to AVR. Works great.

Just want to thanks everyone here in the forum, especially Rupam for helping to finalize my home theater system.

Posting some pics...hope it helps members who are in quest as I was couple of months ago....

Attachments

• 2013-12-17 09.42.29.jpg
    2013-12-17 09.42.29.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 2013-12-17 09.44.09.jpg
    2013-12-17 09.44.09.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 2013-12-17 09.44.52.jpg
    2013-12-17 09.44.52.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 2013-12-17 09.45.39.jpg
    2013-12-17 09.45.39.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 2013-12-17 09.47.38.jpg
    2013-12-17 09.47.38.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 141
I can say for sure that YHT-196 supports audio over HDMI. I've tried it with my airtel HD recorder.

The configuration I tried was
[HD recorder] --HDMI-> [YHT-196] --HDMI-> [TV (51E550)].

It worked with TV set to "external speakers". Only problem I noticed was, there were no Dolby surround effects. However, based on what I read on internet, it was because of my STB. It seems airtel HD STB does not send Dolby signal over HDMI. I had to connect the STB to YHT-196 with an optical audio cable. I'm now getting perfect surround effects.

Probably a dumb questions, but how did you notice toy were not getting Dolby surround effects from HDMI? Does it show on your AVR? I just bought YHT 299 and checking on net the best possible outcome/settings for it.

The AVR will display or lit the DD symbol when it receives DD sound. Otherwise you will see DSPs like Dolby Prologic or DTS Neo6.

In that case, if I am using AAC 6 channels but want to get best out of it then what would be the best setting in the AVR .i.e should I keep as Dolby-movie, Dolby pro-logic or what..or do I need to think to convert from AAC 6 channels to DD and then use it in straight mode?

Congratulations Shrini..!
form where did you get YHT-196 in 20999/- ??
I have checked everywhere in M.P. its around 23K.
I am planning to buy this , please share your exp. also.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back