Purchased Yamaha YHT 196 Today @ 20,999

ok here am attaching my bookshelf speakers which were Thomson company and a local company truwave subwoofer. can i attach this sub and speakers to yamaha 196 to get better output.? the speakers are rated as 4ohms 50W and the subwoofer rating i don't know. ll it be a good idea to hook up this with yamaha receiver..? the speakers deliver a clear sound with good amount of bass and the subwoofer produce a very deep bass effect.

http://i.imgbox.com/adi363XM.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/adpbFEzw.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/adsNmYBf.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/aczOHdXy.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/adkjUtMt.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/acwtASbS.jpg

Running 4 ohm speakers with Yamaha 196 can be a problem. You can use them, but do not increase the amp volume above a safe limit. You can use the subwoofer if it is active and the avr has subwoofer pre-put. You can even try both sub at the same time.

Running 4 ohm speakers with Yamaha 196 can be a problem. You can use them, but do not increase the amp volume above a safe limit. You can use the subwoofer if it is active and the avr has subwoofer pre-put. You can even try both sub at the same time.

but according to the specs of yamaha 2064 receiver- it can handle 4ohm speakers as well.? :eek:

Your idea is intriguing, could you expand on it a bit more. Seems to be an interesting option for budget constrained buyers

It's a vertical comparison and less of a horizontal one. In regards to sound, the Yamaha is plain bad, there are no ifs or buts about it.
A pair of Cambridge audio s30 bookshelves on a topping for 8.5+4.5 = 13,000 will completely crush the 196's sonic presence in every possible regard.

Sent from my HTC Desire

Your idea is intriguing, could you expand on it a bit more. Seems to be an interesting option for budget constrained buyers

Here you go,

Play It Clear: Ultra Budget Stereo - NuForce Icon uDAC + Topping TP20 + Cambridge Audio S30

The idea is that the soundstage you get from multiple tiny 2" drivers as found in the yamaha is quite small but there are multiple sources so it gives the illusion of surround by point source firing. Where as with drivers larger than 4.5" and the dimensions of a bookshelf speaker, the default base soundstage has a much wider, bigger and spread out sonic presence travelling a greater distance in a sense of openess as compared to smaller drivers such as 2" having to push out that far. In other words, it's not trying to give an illusion of surround...

Sure you wont get subwoofer like bass..but the yht 196 sub is sucky to begin with, the onkyo ht s subs blow it right out of the water. But in comparison the ca s30 or any other 90db+ efficiency bookshelf on budget on a topping is anyday better value for money than the yht 196, I would suggest looking at a used onkyo ht s 3100 3200 3300 3400 3500 anyday instead of the yht 196.

Last edited:
Where can I get topping?not available in the online stores I checked.

Here is another site where I booked it couple of days back. Yet to be shipped, the good part is it is only $79.50 and will be shipped free to India with tracking information. The not so good part is if you are not lucky the customs charges will be levied but so far seen on this forum many of the FM who booked have not been charged as it is a very light/small item to be missed.

thanks

Musicheart .... So true about the ...munni..shila... Demos.
Also true about them stacking the speaker over the amp and jamming the subwoofer somewhere in the middle. This was the case for the Yamaha,but requested the guy there if he could set it up for me to audition and he said thats fine. So next time I will audition it for sure. Also did not carry any cds with me when I went to the Showroom , but will definately make it a point to carry one next time. I think 'seven nation army' should do the trick to check out the Bass. : )
One difference is between the Onkyo 3500 and 3400 is that the later has Audyssey Dynamic EQ for Loudness Correction Audyssey Dynamic Volume to Maintain Optimal Listening Level and Dynamic Range (from onkyo website)
Read people complaining about the removal of that feature in the 3500. Does this make a big difference is sound quality?

Should not make much difference. Its sad it is omitted from 3500 but they added WRAT as enhancement. But still 3500 achieves that small thi red line between Performance Features and Price point.

Please advice feedback of YAMAHA YHT-296. I hv purchase it but not getting satisfactory sound. Whether this product value for money and long lasting? Please enlight me overall feedback of this product.

@ 9038506359, don't worry about the Yamaha YHT-196. Its well worth the money and will last long. So, stop worrying and cheer up man :cheers:. Don't feel sad about it.

The Fellow members are only talking about the sound quality compared to other slightly higher prized HTs. If you could share the details like your room size and how you placed the speakers etc as "jithudigitised" has asked, it will help the Fellow Members to help you to get a more refined sound out of your HT.

Its a good system and if you need in future it can be upgradeable to better speakers to get more better sound than the current stock speakers.

Please share your size and placement of speakers etc...

I guess FMs are mixing YHT 196 and YHT 296 here.. :)

Can anyone pls help me understand how can we benifit / n'joy HD audio from YHT-196 ..? Any BR player can help ?

Since I know YHT-196 does not have the 3D and HD Audio support howeover the higher versions like 296 and 298 does have this feature..

You can still pass the HD audio signals to the yht-196.
1) Connect your media player/bluray player to the YHT-196 through hdmi and optical.
2) You play hd-audio source in your player.
3) Send the audio signals through PCM, ie Optical (this way the player will do the decoding of the hd-audio).
4) YHT-196 will only have to pass the signals recieved from the player to the diff speakers placed.

So you can still have the hd-audio using YHT-196, only thing is you need to use the optical connection instead of HDMI , for audio. :)

nope.. i saying about the player doing the hd audio processing and sending through the optical line as PCM.. So that the AVR doesnt need to decode the HD audio, as it will be getting the sound signal as PCM.

Hope you got it.. :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back