quality of indian branded speakers

mandeep

hey guys

Does the quality of indian branded speakers at par with the likes jamo, polk, wharfedales etc...

actually what i am talking about is that most of the parts are imported from like denmark etc..will the indian speakers be any good then...i also doubt research work here in india....

how about these new speakers from sonodyne are they any good? have anybody demoed them yet?

with whom would u compare at par these sonus 2605 V2's

Hi Mandeep,
Have not heard the Sonodyne so cant compare with anything.
Why cant Indian speakers be good? If as u say components come from Denmark am sure assembly here can be as good as China etc where lots of renowned speaker manufacturers have set up base. Having said that i feel making a great sounding speaker is an art and often a hit or miss thing. If say sonodyne gets decent components and takes a little time to design an inert cabinet am sure they could make a great speaker PLUS the fact that they dont spend tons of money on marketing, the products can be yours for paltry sums. The speaker u mention is a 3 way FS with 2 bass drivers if i am correct and this type of speaker is tough to design so i doubt it will really be able to musically integrate the sound.Anyway hear it and post ur comments.
Regards

Last edited:
I complete agree with dinyaar. The skills in India is World class then I strongly believe Indian AV manufactures also can build world class speakers and AV devices. Also all AV lovers should encourage with good feedback and support to these Indian brands to grow to the international standards.
-sk

how about these new speakers from sonodyne are they any good? have anybody demoed them yet?

with whom would u compare at par these sonus 2605 V2's
I have a pair of sonus 2605 which I drive with a CA 640V2. Works very well.
Excellent VFM, I would say.

Why not mandeep, I have auditioned Sonus 2605 and it sounds really good for the price, though the mid range was indistinct, maybe the CD recording was not upto the mark. Also, Talome is another brand which is assembled using German cmponents and had an opportunity to listen to them. Their Cube speakers as well as Floor Standers are exceptionally good. I feel you should take the time out to check out these speakers.

hello dinyaar, skt, dichkaun

thanks for ur comments......

Now talking of pricing/value for money can any body list a few floorstanding speakers that are overpriced and are not true value for money.what is the import duty/overheads on these imported speakers...

hello arun malur

thanks....here in chandigarh i can only audition/demo the wharfedales, jamo(may be not sure),the problem here is that dealers dont keep much stock u only get them on order...and the nearest dealer for sonodyne is in ludhiana(he also gets them on order).......

Hi,
Am not getting into specifics here really but most speakers would fall into that category. Over pricing is also relative. Some are grossly overpriced and some moderately.
U would be shocked to know the distributor/transfer price as compared to the MRP of most electronics.
Regards.

hello arun malur
thanks....here in chandigarh i can only audition/demo the wharfedales, jamo(may be not sure),the problem here is that dealers dont keep much stock u only get them on order...and the nearest dealer for sonodyne is in ludhiana(he also gets them on order).......
Perhaps, you can do a day trip to delhi and audition a bunch of stuff and take the night train/bus back.

~Lokesh

Are you looking at the top of the line models from international brands ?
If not, some of the Indian brands like cadence, rethm, Acoustic portrait, lithos etc.. makes better speakers than what is available out there from these brands. Some of these Indian designers even know how to make ones that will even give a fair competition to the best out there. Problem is marketing them so they make them for their personal use only. I have used speakers from Jbl, Bose, Wharfedale, dynaudio audience series etc.. The Acoustic portrait MS 301 which I use currently clearly beats all of them and even some others I have demoed at my home costing around a lakh.
Please keep in mind that there is a clear difference in quality between mass market Indian manufacturers like Sonodyne etcc.. and niche indian hobbyist/ manufacturers like cadence, Acoustic portrait, rethm etc?

hi square wave
looks like you have a lot of experience with indian speakers,what is your impression about lithos speakers.

hi mandeep,
i am using enbee speaker system from Delhi since last 10 years.i have listened to a number of foreign made speaker system but i think enbee is better than most of them .these speakers are hand made and woofer and the tweeters are all manufactured by enbee. i have also heard a lot about lyrita audio but have not listened to them yet.in fact i have listened to a lot of indian speakers according to me nobody comes close to enbee in sound quality.

regards
sushil_pareek31

Hi Redd,
About Lithos - I have heard only their sub / sat system once. They sounded quite nice. Very different and far better tham sub/sat systems from bose and such. They have some very interesting new products but I have not heard them yet.
I have extensive experience with rethm audio Rethm: the full range, single driver, voice coiled loudspeakers using Lowther and Acoustic portrait. I can vouch for the quality of the offerings from both.
I recently visited the rethm listening room in cochin to listen to the new Sadhanas. Amazing loudspeaker. It can do some things which I heard no other speakers do. The coherence and speed of single driver full range combined with the most detailed , fast bass ever. The bass had no overhang at all. Amazing.

I have the Rethm Saadhanas. IMO they are better than many high end speakers i have owned and heard. They are in the same league as the Avant Garde Duos

I want to be a late joiner here.

There is a very simple question that will answer the original question. Why can't Indian manufacturers achieve the quality levels that International brands do?

They can, by all means. And they do. A little bit of logical thinking can help.

Is there a magic involved in loudspeaker manufacturing? No, not in my opinion. In fact, IMO, manufacturing loudspeaker requires lesser research than other hifi components. Add to that, the knowledge that is available in public domain, GOD bless the Internet. There are specialized sites on DIY speakers, thousands of passionate DIYers around the world. Some of those DIYers are as knowledgeable and competent as a professional audio engineer. Its about the passion that they have for experimenting and designing hifi. Which is followed by an insatiable urge to share that knowledge with the rest of the world.

With that kind of knowledge available in public domain, it is, IMO, really easy to build great sounding loudspeakers yourself. Actually that's the place to begin. Everything is available. Drivers to Cabinet designs to cross-overs. More than one might need.

How does all this translate when someone from India wants to begin a small Loudspeaker manufacturing company? In only one way, its doable. And those who have the passion (Shyam Bajaj, Viren, there are many other names) go ahead and do it.

I have said it in past and want to say it again, there is only one legal route to buy good sounding gear and budget prices. Buy from an Indian manufacturer. And Indian manufacturer can give you more sound per rupee.

All that it takes is to have faith in the "Made in India" logo.

There is one more brand in North India - based out of Delhi, which makes quality drivers - BOLTON.

Quite an old brand - but does not market its products.
Especially the Low Freq & Mid- Freq drivers are really good.

Have used these components in DIY - Floorstanders (3-Way) - I designed about 1.5 years back. Nice warm sounding drivers - good bass (12" woofer) and very clear vocals (6.5" mid-range)

Their full range is available only at one dealer based out at Bhagirath Place, New Delhi - SILVERTONE.

Mandeep - If you wish you can audition them at my place - I am based at Chandigarh.

During 1980 COSMIC & SONODYNE had good sounding speakers with excellent finish, i had them both for sometime. They had good transister amp & turntable range, i still have 1980 COSMIC product catalogue.

hello arun malur

AREA : CHANDIGARH SIMPHONY, Chandigarh
(Installed Sound, Professional Audio) SCO 43-44 (1st floor) sector 8-C
Madhya Marg, Chandigarh 18
Tel: 0172] 2770091
Mobile: 9815326334 this is the address of sonodyne store at chandigarh. U plz. visit the same and post the experience for us. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

hi mandeep,
i am using enbee speaker system from Delhi since last 10 years.i have listened to a number of foreign made speaker system but i think enbee is better than most of them .these speakers are hand made and woofer and the tweeters are all manufactured by enbee. i have also heard a lot about lyrita audio but have not listened to them yet.in fact i have listened to a lot of indian speakers according to me nobody comes close to enbee in sound quality.

regards
sushil_pareek31

Will u plz tell us where from u purchased these enbeez so that we may also audition the same. Thanx

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back