Question for Record Player set-up with Home Theatre.

DocRadiohead

Hello, HiFiVIsion!

My query is regarding the connectivity of my recently purchased entry-level record player with my existing Home Theater System.

I am awaiting my Audio Technica LP-60 to be delivered, and I was wandering if I can connect the player to the Sony BDV N7200W system?

Things I know:

1. My home theater supports stereo mode.

2. The turntable has line out with RCA cable (http://www.knowzy.com/Images/Audio-...View-Connections_And_Line-Phono_Switch-Lg.jpg) which should go well connected with the audio input in the system (http://electronicspalacecorp.com/images/Sony BDV-N7200W-4.jpg).

3. The turntable I have ordered has inbuilt phone pre-amp.

Things I don't know:

1. Whether I will need a separate pre-amp or amp to get the most and accurate sound out of the record player.

2. Whether I should invest in a separate sound system for the record player

Kindly help me out! I am recently getting into Vinyl. I have imported the player from US to India, and will be importing Vinyl records as well. All these importing means that it will be a comparatively costly setup and I don't want to mess anything up!

Ok, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

You need a proper AMP or AVR which has Phono inputs.....Your existing setup will not get the best out of the player.....there will be some technical issues like hum noise etc...

If budget is a challenge, see the For Sale by owner or Hifiads.com for some good deals

Hi DocRadioHead,

An external phono stage (or an amplifier with a phono stage) will give you better sound quality than the phono stage in the AT-60. But to start with, I suggest you connect the AT-60 to your Sony system, and listen to a few LP's. The AT-60 allows you to bypass it's internal phono stage, so you can always connect an external phono in the future.

Hello, HiFiVIsion!

My query is regarding the connectivity of my recently purchased entry-level record player with my existing Home Theater System.

I am awaiting my Audio Technica LP-60 to be delivered, and I was wandering if I can connect the player to the Sony BDV N7200W system?

Things I know:

1. My home theater supports stereo mode.

2. The turntable has line out with RCA cable (http://www.knowzy.com/Images/Audio-...View-Connections_And_Line-Phono_Switch-Lg.jpg) which should go well connected with the audio input in the system (http://electronicspalacecorp.com/images/Sony BDV-N7200W-4.jpg).

3. The turntable I have ordered has inbuilt phone pre-amp.

Things I don't know:

1. Whether I will need a separate pre-amp or amp to get the most and accurate sound out of the record player.

2. Whether I should invest in a separate sound system for the record player

Kindly help me out! I am recently getting into Vinyl. I have imported the player from US to India, and will be importing Vinyl records as well. All these importing means that it will be a comparatively costly setup and I don't want to mess anything up!

Ok, thank you!

HI Doc..,

Congrats on taking the first step into the vinyl territory. Audio Technica LP-60 is a decent starter player, with the advantage of an in-built phono, to begin with.

I am not familiar with the AVR model that you currently have, but based on your observations, you could make it work, to start, without investing in extra gear immediately. So, for the moment you can use your in-built phono and connect your AT-60 directly into the stereo-in of the AVR. This should give an initial period of listening idea on how your vinyl records sound. Post this, is when things start getting complex (not very), especially if you are in pursuit of 'good' sound (more than what you may hear with your AVR).

For this, I would recommend the following improvements (as you deem appropriate):

1. If you like the sound of your records, start exploring the market for more records: new and old. New records are available in a number of shops in big cities and online. Older records are not as easy to buy, but that is an adventure which I'd definitely recommend. Start scouting for old records amongst friends and family first, look online and on forums for people selling what you may like and finally start the physical hunt for them in marketplaces and shops in your city and wherever you travel. This will slowly become a ritual almost, with looking for record stores, in different places you visit, becoming a fixture on your travel agenda. That is the fun and mild obsession stage. So, your record collection never stops. [Also beware of the 'condition' of used records (it varies from mint to good/average)]

2. A good quality stereo amplifier and speakers will add greatly to the magic of the record playing. The stereo amplifier could be an integrated amp or separates (Pre+Power). There are vintage amplifiers in the used marketplace and good new ones as well. It is your choice, but definitely do a lot of research (you will find all you need online these days)

3. A phono input is critical to the sound quality of your record playing. An external phono stage is most definitely better than your in-built phono in your AT-60. Here, you can either look for an in-built integrated stereo amplifier (with phono inputs) or you can buy an independent phono pre-amp and connect it to the line-in of your stereo amp. Either way, it will be a massive improvement on your current setup. [Then there are MM and MC phono stages, which depends on your cartridge on your record player]

4. Look for an upgrade of your phono cartridge in your record player and set it up properly. There are numerous MM and MC cartridges which you can explore (it will also depend on your phono pre-amp, what cartridge type you can buy) and this will account to a big difference in the sound quality and musicality.

4. Finally, there are numerous tweaks you can make on your set-up, such as power cords, the interconnects between your player and amp, speaker cables, placement of speakers etc... all (debatable) will improve or impact your sound quality.

So, all in all.. your journey has just begun and it is up to you to find when and how much you want to continue in it and where you want to get off. Just a word of caution 'audio nirvana' is a mirage. You may find it sooner than others or you may never find it. It is all in your ears. Enjoy!

Last edited:
HI Doc..,

Congrats on taking the first step into the vinyl territory. Audio Technica LP-60 is a decent starter player, with the advantage of an in-built phono, to begin with.

I am not familiar with the AVR model that you currently have, but based on your observations, you could make it work to start without investing in extra gear immediately. So, for the moment you can use your in-built phono and connect your AT-60 directly into the stereo-in of the AVR. This should give an initial period of listening idea an how your vinyl records sound. Post this is when things start getting complex (not very), especially if you are in pursuit of 'good' sound (more than what you may hear with your AVR).

For this, I would recommend the following improvements (as you deem appropriate):

1. If you like the sound of your records, start exploring the market for more records: new and old. New records are available in a number of shops in big cities and online. Older records are not as easy to buy, but that is an adventure which I'd definitely recommend. Start scouting for old records amongst friends and family first, look online and on forums for people selling what you may like and finally start the physical hunt for them in marketplaces and shops in your city and wherever you travel. This will slowly become a ritual almost, with looking for record stores in different places you visit becoming a fixture on your travel agenda. That is the fun and mild obsession stage. So, your record collection never stops. [Also beware of the 'condition; of used records (it varies from mint to good/average)]

2. A good quality stereo amplifier and speakers will add greatly to the magic of the record playing. The stereo amplifier could be an integrated amp or separates (Pre+Power). There are vintage amplifiers in the used marketplace and good new ones as well. It is your choice, but definitely do a lot of research (you will find all you need online these days)

3. A phono input is critical to the sound quality of your record playing. An external phono stage is most definitely better than your in-built phono in your AT-60. Here, you can either look for an in-built integrated stereo amplifier (with phono inputs) or you can buy an independent phono pre-amp and connect it to the line-in of your stereo amp. Either way, it will be a massive improvement on your current setup. [Then there are MM and MC phono stages, which depends on your cartridge on your record player]

4. Look for an upgrade of your phono cartridge in your record player and set it up properly. There are numerous MM and MC cartridges which you can explore (it will also depend on your phono pre-amp, what cartridge type you can buy) and this will account to a big difference in the sound quality and musicality.

4. Finally, there are numerous tweaks you can make on your set-up, such as power cords, the interconnects between your player and amp, speaker cables, placement of speakers etc... all (debatable) will improve or impact your sound quality.

So, all in all.. your journey has just begun and it is up to you to find when and how much you want to continue in it and where you want to get off. Just a word of caution 'audio nirvana' is a mirage. You may find it sooner than others or you may never find it. It is all in your ears. Enjoy!

Thank you so much for your response! You make it sound like so much fun! And that is exactly how I intend to progress with my Vinyl setup/collection. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much of the fun in vinyl is getting it right, i.e tweaking. One important part of this is where you put the turntable. To begin with just make sure the rack is stable and completely levelled. Use a sprit level to make sure. Go through the tt manual carefully, make sure the Cart is set correctly. Good set up is the key. Eventually other tweaks can be added, the easiest of which is a diy sand-box.

Have fun.

All very good and accurate advise. But look at you, you have an AV setup and a Turntable with an inbuilt phonostage is on the way. Why don't you just hook up the Turntable through the inbuilt phonostage to your AV receiver and let it start singing. Take things from there. I have been into vinyl for 40 years now and one great lesson learnt is that listening is believing, not reading :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back