Real good music

hi all audio enthusiasts,

i am sushil pareek aged 44 years am living in jaipur . i believe in listening to my music on a music system with least distortation.in india it is a general thought that only foreign made music system produce good sound .

with this forum i would like to share my experiance of association with an indian manufacturer of music systems with the brand name Enbee. The Enbee brand is owened by Mr Yamini Mohan Nishi Nakra . The shop is situated at 62,shanker Market, connought place New delhi for the more than 50 years under the name M/s Nakra Brothers.I am using integrated amplifier and speakers made by enbee for the last 7 years.I have listened to a large no of foreign made music systems but i think that my Enbee music system delivers more clear distortion free sound than all the other so much hyped foreign music systems. i think that Mr Nakra is the manufacturer of best audiophile grade music system in India.

waiting for replies from other distortion free music lovers

sushil kumar pareek

been wanting to pay them a visit for a while , have heard enough about them to give it a look, maybe thisd saturday if off permits!

Mr Nakra has shut down the showroom in shanker market( reason-it had become too tiring , on account of his age, to commute daily) & is now operating from his home in Noida.Call him up on 95120 3223020 to fix a visit.

Mr Nakra has shut down the showroom in shanker market( reason-it had become too tiring , on account of his age, to commute daily) & is now operating from his home in Noida.Call him up on 95120 3223020 to fix a visit.

Hi Kamal, the number u put up there has 12 numbers....:p

Hi JT, thats the no. e needed to dial to get thru to them from Delhi.
Mr nakra has subsequently discontinued this Ph No.
His current No is-2510067-prefix 95120 if you're dialling from Delhi, else prefix 0120.
His Mob No is 98117 85799.

Hi Kamal,

Is it possible for you to introduce some of Enbee products with specs and prices?

Regards

SUhas

Hi JT, thats the no. e needed to dial to get thru to them from Delhi.
Mr nakra has subsequently discontinued this Ph No.
His current No is-2510067-prefix 95120 if you're dialling from Delhi, else prefix 0120.
His Mob No is 98117 85799.
Thanks Dude~~:D

Hi Suhas, I went over yesterday to visit Mr Nakra(have been doing that for the last 28 yrs now!).
He makes 3 models in Stereo Amplifiers:
1.Model 705 Integrated-75 watts RMS pc-Rs 8000/-
2.Separates-
Model ZX1 Pre Amplifier with 9 band per channel equaliser controls,
&Model ZX80 Power Amplifier-80 watts RMS per channel.
Price-Rs 15000/-
3. Model 775 Pre Amplifier,
Model 7105 10 bands per channel equaliser,
Model 1105 110 watts RMS per channel Power Amplifier
Price-Rs 20,000/-
Speakers:
Sentinel Towers-
Bass Unit-one 12" Woofer,
Top Unit-Midrange driver-one 5"x2 1/4" elliptical,
Piezo Electric tweeters 1"x 4 nos.
Price-Rs 21,000/-
He had 2-3 pcs of the Integrated Amplifier & one pc each of the 2 models of pre/power amps & the Sentinel speakers.
I have been using the ZX1/ZX80 Pre/Power combo for over 9yrs; the 110 watter was developed by him later.
I have the spec sheet of the ZX1/ZX80 which will give you an idea, but of course, hearing is believing.
ZX1-Rated output pc-0.775 volts,Max Drive Capability-10 volts,Freq Resp-CD,Tape, Tuner, Aux-10 Hz to 80 KHz +/- 0.01 dB, THD-0.001 % 20 Hz to 20 KHz,IMD 0.01%,S/N Ratio->96dB
ZX80-Freq Resp at 1 Watt;10 Hz to 80 KHz +/- 0.2 dB, Power Response-80 Watts at 8 Ohms- +0-0dB-20 Hz to 20 KHz, IMD for any combination of frequencies for instantaneuos peak power of 200 watts or less- <0.1%, Distortion at 1 Khz-0.01%.
This should give you some idea;I have been using the rig for over 9 yrs now with no probs ,avg 4-5 hrs a day!
Mr Nakra now manufactures only on order and runs a small workshop for servicing existing customers.

This is a very old thread to post a response too. But lot of people praising enbee on this forum. Seems they are still operational from their noida location. I am thinking of visiting them sometime. Would love some feedback (there is quite a bit here already) some pics etc before going there and wasting their time.

regards

This is a very old thread to post a response too. But lot of people praising enbee on this forum. Seems they are still operational from their noida location. I am thinking of visiting them sometime. Would love some feedback (there is quite a bit here already) some pics etc before going there and wasting their time.

regards

I am interested to hear your response re: the visit. While I appreciate Enbee as a brand and value it provides, I am a bit surprised that there are no additional stores to service existing customers or get new ones. Did the owner build the equipment just as an hobby? Why didn't he venture outside of his original plans? What happens when he is not able to service anymore? Are the customers left to themselves. While I am happy for his customers re: the value, I am at a loss to understand his service model.

Marsilians, the Qns/concerns you have voiced are quite valid.
Will attempt to answer.
Mr YM Nakra mid 1950's( I picked up my eqpt from a dealer of his in 1979 ).
He used to have dealers in the major metros who used to provide after sales service back up too.
In case the dealers could'nt handle a complaint, the gear got shipped to his factory in Delhi, so customers never got left in the lurch.
Its another matter that his products were so well built that they almost never broke down.I myself used to take the Amp to him every 3-4 years for servicing only i.e cleaning, chkg for settings drift, if any; have never had to take it for repairs as such.
Enbees' was a full fledged commercial operation,not just a hobbyist's efforts.
Mr Nakra shut down his operations abt a year & a half back purely due to old age-he is now in his mid 80's.
In his home in Noida, he has a small set continuing to provide service support to existing clients & has stopped manufacturing Amps/Speakers.
He loves people dropping in for chit chats & to hear his personal set up but cannot provide any new gear.
Hope this adequately addresses your concerns.

Hi Amit,
Not yet decided, but it is very close to my house. It is in sector 17, which is next to atta market.
If you like, we can go together to save some of their time.
Did you get to audition the dali ikons?
regards

i was using enbee system for 5 years in aligarh&2 years after i shifted to bangalore.
as i was not sure of getting service facility in bangalore i sold it off.now i regret.i really miss the fabulous music.
nagarajan

Hi
I'm new to this site and am really desperate!!
I've had an Enbee ZX 80 amplifier for the last 22 years and it's just died on me.
I gave it to a guy recommended to me by friends ( I live in Pondicherry) and he fiddled with it and returned it but it worked precisely 30 seconds till a loud humming noise started coming from one speaker. I took it back to the repair guy and he sat on it for a couple of weeks.

Picked it up again yesterday and he says he's changed the transistors but has no way of knowing the specs of the original transistors as the print on them is faded. He sounded pretty sure that it would blow up again and told me I should play it only at low volumes.

1. I'm now terrified of turning it on
2. I can't listen to music at low volumes
3.I'm slowly going into a depression

Does anyone here know which transistors this amp uses?? (I'm not ready to scrap it as I haven't heard anything yet that could replace it) or could someone suggest a place in Chennai who would be able to repair it for me

HELP!!!!!!!

Hi Suhas, I went over yesterday to visit Mr Nakra(have been doing that for the last 28 yrs now!).
2.Separates-
Price-Rs 15000/-
Price-Rs 20,000/-
Speakers:
Sentinel Towers-
Price-Rs 21,000/-
He had 2-3 pcs of the Integrated Amplifier & one pc each of the 2 models of pre/power amps & the Sentinel speakers.
I have been using the ZX1/ZX80 Pre/Power combo for over 9yrs; the 110 watter was developed by him later.
I have the spec sheet of the ZX1/ZX80 which will give you an idea, but of course, hearing is believing.
ZX1-Rated output pc-0.775 volts,Max Drive Capability-10 volts,Freq Resp-CD,Tape, Tuner, Aux-10 Hz to 80 KHz +/- 0.01 dB, THD-0.001 % 20 Hz to 20 KHz,IMD 0.01%,S/N Ratio->96dB
ZX80-Freq Resp at 1 Watt;10 Hz to 80 KHz +/- 0.2 dB, Power Response-80 Watts at 8 Ohms- +0-0dB-20 Hz to 20 KHz, IMD for any combination of frequencies for instantaneuos peak power of 200 watts or less- <0.1%, Distortion at 1 Khz-0.01%.
This should give you some idea;I have been using the rig for over 9 yrs now with no probs ,avg 4-5 hrs a day!
Mr Nakra now manufactures only on order and runs a small workshop for servicing existing customers.

Kamal hi
Brilliant Amps - I have ZX1 and ZX80 and I use a Marantz CD 5004 player now as Mr Nakra a great engineer and gentleman is no more request you to advise who will service it can you give me Meenakshis email also need to buy a Subwoofer -what brand and model for a bigger drawing room and how will I hookit up.
Your help is requested.
Many thanks
Goget

2.Separates-
Price-Rs 15000/-
Price-Rs 20,000/-
Speakers:
Sentinel Towers-
Price-Rs 21,000/-

Hi Kamal,
Sorry to hear about Mr Nakra!
I envy you getting a chance to meet Mr Nakra.
I began following EnBee from 1971 (Expo71) where I actually heard and saw his systems. I saw One quadro in a Cadet Mess in Bidar which was purchased in 1979. There was a diplomat then perhaps settled in Sweden, who also owned one system since around 1975.
Mr Nakra's passion besides music, audio-systems, professional audio-systems and everything to do with audio, was Cars & Bikes.
Mr Nakra and Bose were great friends and exchanged professional greetings as well as a respect for each other.
I fell in love with EnBee and for me it was BOSE-1 as Bose was far tooooo expensive. Not to mention that EnBee was no inferior, in fact in some systems, which Mr Nakra and Mrs Nakra knew very well, EnBee is superior.
I moved over to IAF and was all over with my heart and mind with EnBee. Mr Nakra held the last Classic speakers with ZX1 and 80 with 4 Ch encoder and surround spkrs for me for almost a little over a year. Perhaps, since those speakers were adorning his Shankar Market collection, it had been played many a times, so he finally manufactured one for me. It took a while to get them ready as it all started with locating wood :)
As I did not have enough money to buy, it was Mr & Mrs Nakra, who like great friends, encouraged me to go strong and take my time. Perhaps it took 14 yrs for me to finally get the cheque to him in 1996. Believe me, it was almost like a gift as it came with several accessories which I may need, extended cables etc. I am fond of parties, quiet listening (you remember his words - 10% -12% of the volume), and a whole host of aux connected (deck-A, Deck B), switchable two turntables ( a 3 speed Philips and 2 speed hifidelity philips), a world radio and back home, or in parties in the lawns well spaced out speakers (almost 120') and the surround spanned to 50', a boy you listen to Bismillah or Mozart or Pink Floyd / Dire Straits / KC SSB/ Eagles or Abba/Bonney M... and I still listen to it, no longer with LPs as the turntables are now shelved (perhaps would be kept as antique with the HMV Gramaphone and its records, a collection since 1917). Returning to a good turntable (affordable too and 3-speed), is next on my wish-list.
I had Mr Nakra's mobile number and in early 2007 or late 2006, my wife had been to his place. He serviced the system and it as he said, it was as good as new. Indeed, as good as new.
I have seen about 45 moves with my system during my airforce tenure. I had custom made four boxes designed for transportation of system by air, land and sea, each about 5'x3'x2.5', which also carried gramaphone and its slate records (boy are they heavy?), two small compact Philips hifi and Sonodyne stereo system mainly for LPs/EPs/SPs, radio and walkman and a collection of LPs, cassettes nad later CDs.

Finally, in 2007, it settled here at home in one place. Now my elder daughter wants to take it to Canada and keep it.

At one time, my mistake, the bedroom in which the audio system was installed, had a window open and over the past 2 or three years, the system gathered dust while both my daughters would still use with just external cleaning. A month ago, while it was playing, it just went silent. It powers up everything, all lights on, BUT NO audio AT ALL. Either the power amp may have overheated due dust and pollution, or could be the power switch has one odd solder broken. I have not found a single reliable and trust worthy repair agency for audios here in Pune. Mumbai may have it. As I was visiting Delhi from 17th to 20th this time, I thought of exploring the option of getting it over to Shankar Market. When Mr Nakra's mob was not answering, the obvious fear came to me and my wife and i got searching for other details. I had his daughter's number and wife's number also, but luckily, Mr Nakra's number had always been on my mobile since 1999.
Out here, I found the unfortunate loss.
My only thread of hope to catch up with the family is you, if the mobile does not answer.
Like you, many had been visiting him, but as I know, not as often as you. I am sure you share a lot more.
I can only request you to help me reach the family. My wife and I would like to re-establish contacts with Mrs Nakra and their daughter.
you may drop an sms on 9822818833. I will call you at your convenient time you wish. Will be grateful.
Sam

Hi Amit,
Not yet decided, but it is very close to my house. It is in sector 17, which is next to atta market.
If you like, we can go together to save some of their time.
Did you get to audition the dali ikons?
regards

Hi anm
Sorry to hear about Mr Nakra.
All I have is his mob number which reports "switched-off".
My wife had been to his house a few times last in 2006-07. Both Mrs & Mr Nakra were great friends. As i had been moving around in service, it was not possible to reconnect.
btw, i own a system put together by Mr Nakra in 1996 zx1 & 80 with 4-ch encoder and classic spkr set and surround spkrs (the last one which he kept for me for almost 2 yrs)
If you could help me in re-establishing contacts with the family, I will be grateful.
reach me on 9822818833 (Pune)
Thanks
Sam

Hi
I'm new to this site and am really desperate!!
I've had an Enbee ZX 80 amplifier for the last 22 years and it's just died on me.
I gave it to a guy recommended to me by friends ( I live in Pondicherry) and he fiddled with it and returned it but it worked precisely 30 seconds till a loud humming noise started coming from one speaker. I took it back to the repair guy and he sat on it for a couple of weeks.

Picked it up again yesterday and he says he's changed the transistors but has no way of knowing the specs of the original transistors as the print on them is faded. He sounded pretty sure that it would blow up again and told me I should play it only at low volumes.

1. I'm now terrified of turning it on
2. I can't listen to music at low volumes
3.I'm slowly going into a depression

Does anyone here know which transistors this amp uses?? (I'm not ready to scrap it as I haven't heard anything yet that could replace it) or could someone suggest a place in Chennai who would be able to repair it for me

HELP!!!!!!!

Hi
EnBee systems are pretty hi quality, professional system for home listening. It is unlikely you may find a good repair agency. There was a time, some IIT students would make custom systems and even repair system to earn. If a shop had made good repairs, they would have earned a reputation here on the blog. There still may be someone here.
I knew when I was buying this, that should there be a problem, I would have to be on my own several years down. But, if you could convince BOSE service centre to make an exception and repair, you may be lucky. I too have a ZX1 and 80. after 20 yrs, due to my poor keep, the amps gathered dust which has caused the audio to go on a blink - zero - though the system powers up, but the audio is zilch. For the past 2 months or so, it has been lying here. Unfortunately, old man Mr Nakra has passed away. A Legacy with him has also gone and lost. Bose was a friend of his, which is why I feel there is a good chance that someone from Bose could understand EnBee circuits.
Even today, if there is anyone who may want to manufacture systems, Nakra family may be willing to give circuits and know-how, perhaps for a Royalty which Mr Nakra deserves. Music lovers are returning for LPs and good amp/speakers sets. All that Mr Nakra wanted was dedication with superior knowledge. If there is anyone and can convnice, this could well re-start.
Dont repeat the mistake of taking it to any repair shop until you find someone knowledgeable and resourceful to get components. The secret is not just circuits, but components too.

Hello,
I am reviving this old thread. I was just curious to read about Mr. Nakara. I own three zx1 and zx80 setups along with sentinel speakers. I also have a gentleman here in Mumbai who services and repairs the systems for me. He takes his time but does a great job. If anyone ever wants his services please let me know.
Thanks
Varun

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back