Recommendation for buying HT, budget max 45K

harisubs

Recommendation for buying HT, budget: max 45K

Hello all,

This is Hari from Bangalore. I am new to this forum.
I need a recommendation for Speakers and AVR.
a) Budget - Max 45K
b) Listening tastes - All kinds of music, from pure Carnatic to Heavy Metal
c) Listening area - 16*12 size room. Minimalistic room. Vitrified flooring. Distance from couch ~8-10 feet.
d) Systems selected-Nil
e) Where do you Live - Bangalore

Purpose - Music 70% Movies 30%.

My questions (some of them might be noob'ish, please bear with them):
1. Should I look for a 5.1 setup or would a 2.0 setup serve the purpose?
2. I would like to wirelessly stream music from my PC to the AVR. Do I have look for an AVR which supports that?
3. I was thinking that I can put around 25K for the speakers and the rest for the AVR. Is this ok?
4. I had searched this forum and found that the Polk Audio RM705 is decent enough and comes within 25K. Any opinions?
5. My DVD player (Philips 5996K) supports hdmi out, should I be using that to connect it to the AVR? If I am playing MP3/AVi through USB, will the HDMI connection alone suffice?
6. My PC supports HDMI out (through ATI HD4850 Graphics card), can I use it to interface with the AVR ? I may not be using this much though.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Quite similar specs of HT as mine, procured recently.

My room size 15' x 11' ..... with quite a bit of furniture. Looked at all options before deciding on Wharf Moviestar 70+, whose specs are similar to Polk 705.

For the AVR, took a big risk, not because of budget constraints .... I think, more my nature. That lands me in deep trouble time and again! Settled for Pioneer VSX 519K instead of Denon 1610. Till now, thoroughly satisfied. My ratio is 50:50, but of what little I am able to make out, music comes out a wee bit better from my set-up.

The entire thing with taxes, installation, wiring etc etc set me back by 49.4K.

Ashok

Let the experts comment on your other requirements.

I am a hardcore Mechanical Engineer, so prefer strong, robust, handsome get-up. Moreover, had conducted an extensive net search for satellite speakers to a level, am sure, only a few here would attempt. 70+ scores a very high on certain sites (sorry, forgetting all those site addresses).

Speaker technology has not changed much over the last 2 decades. Moviestar 70+ design, I believe is a 1993 issue. It is the AVR instrumentation which has gone is for a very high upgrade .... smaller, yet more powerful and reliable components (an electronics engineer would explain you all this).

My other thread on 'Amplifier for vintage Sony speakers' would show you the beauties which I procured.

(I did not have any floorspace, so could not consider FS. Even BS was very tough).

Ashok

Hey, thanks Ashok.
Any specific reason as to why you went for the Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ as compared to the Polk RM705?

Hi,

Most budgets in this range would lead to compromises, which to a large extent you need to decide whats acceptable.

Since you are primarily a music listener (70%) go with good front speakers bookshelves rather than sats. You ideally go for a stereo amp and then use the dvd as a source.

This will give you a very good music experience but probably an avg. movie experience.

The options of brands you can check the threads in the resp. sections for ex. check the <20k budget speakers. you will get quite a few options,same with a stereo amp. The wharfedales, PSB, tannoy are some of the good options.

However, if you are insistent on both (movie and music), you could use an AVR and have two sources connect to it, DVD and PC.

Budget AVR's like the Denon 1610 are rated highly, but check from Yamaha and Onkyo too.

Wireless connectivity will come at a cost which may be difficult in your price range. Some of the options are like airport express but then you will be limited to itunes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Sud98.
Bookshelf speakers + Amp OR an AVR+sub+sat. Now I am little confused :).
I suppose I will go for the Bookshelf speakers later. Currently I will just settle for the AVR+sub+sat.
Denon 1610 seems to be good enough for me. Now, I have to decide which speakers to go for. Will have to give it all a listen in due course.

My suggestion would be go for bookshelves first, then centre speaker (esp. for movies) then sub, then surround (2.0->3.0->3.1->5.1->7.1->7.2 and so on)
but you could do a 2.1 and then then 3.1. Depending upon your taste in music, if you prefer more bass(hip hop to light music) then 2.1 and then 3.1.

My feeling is once you audition both sats/sub combi and bookshelves you will be get to know what suits you better. Take the music and movie scenes of your choice and spend time experiencing your system.

My suggestion would be go for bookshelves first, then centre speaker (esp. for movies) then sub, then surround (2.0->3.0->3.1->5.1->7.1->7.2 and so on)

This might be a noobish question :eek:. If I am getting 2.0 Bookshelves initially, then, what kind of AMP do I need to buy? Or can I drive the Bookshelves using the AVR?
If I am buying a stereo AMP, then wouldn't the upgrade path 2.0->3.0->3.1..etc, be blocked?

EDIT: Ok, I understood that AVRs can be used for driving the bookshelves.
Now, can anyone recommend bookshelves to be used with the Denon 1610? As mentioned initially, total budget is 45K.

Last edited:
Do search the forum esp. the sticky thread on speakers and the various recommendations on bookshelves?

You need to give your taste in music as it may help in giving directions. I am assuming you are left with 20/25k Rs. for the bookshelves. Check the options, google the reviews and even better audition and give your views first as it will help others and people can refine it.

For example, the wharfedales 9.1/9.2 or 10.1/10.2 maybe very popular but you may hate it. There is a thread started by magma on a noob search for stereo speakers which should be a must read as it has the most popular brands and the sound signatures of the same. So pick the top five names, search the forum for the dealers, audition the same and then get back.

Do check out the Q acoustics as they have a great reputation the entire 5.1 costs around 40-45k for the 1010 series, so you can look at a smaller setup.

There were so many different brands that I did not know where to start off! Just going through magma's thread now, lots of info there :) Just wanted to get some more info before I go about auditioning. Thanks a lot for your help.

Do search the forum esp. the sticky thread on speakers and the various recommendations on bookshelves?

There is a thread started by magma on a noob search for stereo speakers which should be a must read as it has the most popular brands and the sound signatures of the same. So pick the top five names, search the forum for the dealers, audition the same and then get back.

Do check out the Q acoustics as they have a great reputation the entire 5.1 costs around 40-45k for the 1010 series, so you can look at a smaller setup.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back