Red Screen of Death!

kapvin

Hi,

I had turned on my ps3 (old 80GB model) after a hiatus of about a month, and a i got a red screen of death - "your unit has a serious error, please take it to a service centre" (Was running firmware 3.15) - many different languages)

i fugured it could be an HDD problem, i changed out the hard drive, and it asked for a firmware update - I updated it to firmware 3.30 with the original hdd (it formatted the hDD, but in reboot - the same Red screen..

while my ps3 is under warantee so I am not too fuzzed

my questions-

Has any ps3 user had these problems? if so, what was the final diagnosed reason?

how customer centric is the Sony service centre? Is their attitude they responsive? or will Ihave to fight all the way?

hi,

I went to sony centre, and found that they don't repair ps3s, they just replace them..

so I should get an update in a week or two.

so if you are under warantee (like I am) you are in luck. But that got me wondering.. what happens when you are out of warantee?

cheers

@kapvan: Sad to hear abt the ps3.Read it in ps3 forums about some of them dying due to red screen and sony replaced but more i hear abt it,farther it takes me away from the decision to own a ps3.Pls keep posted in case of any resolution and also sony's response.

Sony India doesn't do repair work on PS3 yet, so they just they do replacement (with a new piece, the latest version they have, i.e as of now you should get a new PS3 Slim). This is only for PS3s under warranty.

For the PS3 which are out of warranty but bought in India (the ones sold by Sony India & not the grey market imports) you can still get replacement but by paying Rs.10K, but this is valid only during the second year (from the date of purchase). I am not sure what happens from 3rd year onwards!

Hope this helps!

@kapvan: Sad to hear abt the ps3.Read it in ps3 forums about some of them dying due to red screen and sony replaced but more i hear abt it,farther it takes me away from the decision to own a ps3.Pls keep posted in case of any resolution and also sony's response.

well, if you need only bd playback, the bdp-s370 makes a convincing case for itself, pq is far better than the ps3. the only thing that ps3 adds on media playback is 3d compatibility.

cheers

Sony India doesn't do repair work on PS3 yet, so they just they do replacement (with a new piece, the latest version they have, i.e as of now you should get a new PS3 Slim). This is only for PS3s under warranty.

For the PS3 which are out of warranty but bought in India (the ones sold by Sony India & not the grey market imports) you can still get replacement but by paying Rs.10K, but this is valid only during the second year (from the date of purchase). I am not sure what happens from 3rd year onwards!

Hope this helps!

Are you sure they give away new piece - Down here we only get refurbished pieces :indifferent14:

Are you sure they give away new piece - Down here we only get refurbished pieces :indifferent14:

don't know / can't say till I get a response from them, thought the sony centre guy did say that it would be a brand new piece.

on personal note, the lack of repairability is a little bit of a downer, and the failure unexpected, especially since the PS3 was really taken care of, ups power, dust free environment and monitored use (must have used it a total of 120 hrs since purchase - games+ movies). plus games are getting more expensive.. 2499/- was the price ofthe last game I purchased.

if I get back a new piece, i may put it on the market and put the money into upgrading my htpc into a games machine.

iMHO, in the backdrop of declining prices of ps3 substitutes (bd players/ games capable pc hardware) the Ps3 no longer represents the value that it did a year ago.

well, just to close the loop on this..

got a call from the sony centre on thursday that they had my replacement ready, went there today to recieve what looks like a brand new ps3 slim

however unlike other exchanges that i've read about, all I got was the the ps3 console. there was no "retail box" like what other people got; but it looks new and was sealed in sony wrapping paper and a new warentee card valid upto 15 aug 2011.

not sure whether sony has changed their returns policy or the service centre bilked me out of the accessories, i was too rushed to argue. when I reached home, i discovered another screw up.. the slim takes a different power cord versus the "phat".. (i am using my dvd power cord for now but I'll need to source a new one)

feeling to inert to make a fuss about this, but should I?

overall

pros- quick service - replacement in 4 working days - new model / piece
cons - maybe the service centre conned me

Got online after long so could not see this post earlier.
I got the exact same message on my old fat PS3 after i turned it on after a week or so...
No update/reset worked and i took it to service center.
My unit was under warranty and i got a replacement unit after 40 days.
I received new PS3 slim model 120 gb.
However, the replacement unit was a brand new sealed unit and as a matter of fact i had to return all my old accessories ( packing box, controller, power cord, scart connector, user manual etc) else they would not give me the new unit.
they were pretty adamant about getting all the old accessories back.
I was lucky enough to carry all my old stuff along with the box when i went to collect the replacement else i would have had to make a return trip of around 70 kms from my house to receive the unit.

The replacement unit was opened in front of me and i checked it before i took the delivery.
I was happy about every thing except the 40 day waiting period.
[Edit]
All this happened between Feb-Mar 2010.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back