Review: Krypton Audio K-100B TL Speakers

haris TL BS weighs.. 11 Kg each .. approx..

hari - can you please reconfirm this please..

regards,
mpw

Was @ Hari's place this afternoon, to have a look & listen to the White Colour Aluminium Composite Paneled Speakers that he has readied & then also did a quick Paper VS Kevlar Cone Driver 'Hot' Swap :clapping:

Sure was fun to have the opportunity to do a different driver test, albeit the X-over's not being tweaked for the Kevlar Cones, but atleast I could understand first hand the difference the cone material makes w r t to how low they can go vis - a - vis one another. Not the right way, but then it gave me a fair picture atleast.

Some pics of the speakers :)

8vqg79.jpg

2jaz3pe.jpg

6gk3sk.jpg

1zdn9g8.jpg

9qg1gg.jpg

kf1hza.jpg

Wow, incredible job with the transparent perfect gloss. Hari must have found himself a really good polisher! That does not look like urethane, is it proper application of polyurethane? looks like it! Really well done! I'm impressed.

Yes the finishing is just minor pending stuff don't worry about that but really good job on the polish, if you can do this kind of polish on the curved stuff with cheery/teak/mahogany..ho ho hooo :D :D :D

Aluminium composite !?
this intrests me !

hari please enlighten !!

umm
corelement
is that polyurethene?
or pre laminate?
pics arent too clear

mpw
do the speakers weigh 11kgs each ? (hari please confirm exact figure)
this would practically mean a box in box design for a speaker this size - super !

Last edited:
ali - these speakers tip the scales at 11 kg each. They are quite heavy and beat my Epos in the weight department easily.

mpw

Super item @ Hari .......
This would end all the nakhras one has to encounter with stiff-necked carpenters/wood-polishers. Try using the 'natural zebrano' veneer with your next speaker .... using the grill type on Rega BS. It would beat any world-class product in the aesthetics department!

Just went through the entire thread and am glad I did. Great work there Hari, keep it up.

The Aluminum composite panels are a great substitute to mica boards. One query though is, what would be the effect on secondary reflections from the baffle?

Just went through the entire thread and am glad I did. Great work there Hari, keep it up.

The Aluminum composite panels are a great substitute to mica boards. One query though is, what would be the effect on secondary reflections from the baffle?

ahh
i thought the paneling was inside

the panel is actaully the vinear substitute
ahh
now i get it!

dont you find the cutting and routering of this more difficult ?

Was back @ Haris place today as he had readied the Kevlar coned K-100B TLs(will term them as KC for convenience) & was keen to let me have a listen. Played almost the same tracks that I heard the last time & some Jazz tracks that Hari played from his music collection all on CD.

They were:
Black Cofee - Carmen McRae
Law Years - Ornette Coleman
Take Five - Dave Brubeck
Summertime - Sarah Vaughan

The Kevlar coned based pair were hardly burned-in & so my observations on them are based on the same. One needs to hear these again after they have been burned-in for a couple of hours(Hari, pls do the needful ;))

Anyway, the gist of the review is that the K-100TLs with the Kevlar cones are more refined & produce a little more detail, go deeper w r t low frequency & play Jazz music really beautifully. There is also a hint of the speakers being a little laid back in the sound projection overall.

Hari also had his Paper cone based K-100B TLs(will term them as PC for convenience) available & so I requested him whether we can do an A/B comparo between the 2 sets of KC & PC based K100BTLs, to which he readily agreed. We connected the two pairs to his trusty old & much abused Sony amp & decided to use the same tracks played via his Marantz CD5400 CDP.

A couple of things immediately noticed during the A/B listening:

KC sounds laidback compared to PC.

KC sounds more intimate, like an artist performing for a closed & small gathering, whilst the PC sounds like you are in a live concert.

KC will make you think the singer is singing right in front of you in your room, whilst PC will make you believe to be out in the arena, rocking & enjoying a live gig.

KC will suit smaller rooms, whilst PC will work better in larger ones.

KC will make you do lot of critical listening, whilst PC will make you stand up, sing along & dance!

The next step is to hear both of these speakers with other amps + sources. Also, a side by side comparo between the KC K100BTLs & the Wharfedale Dentons should be great & am sure that can take place soon ;)

PS: Hari liked KC & me, the PC based K100BTLs

Some pics :)

21e85m0.jpg

1q4d3q.jpg

voqs0i.jpg

zlb61s.jpg

Was glad to hear from Hari that he has now in the midst of tying up with a speaker cabinet supplier, resulting in him getting the desired quality of cabinet & variety of external finish options.

Very nice! I had a feeling the kevlar drivers were more laid back than paper, you just confirmed it. But of course there will always be exceptions. but nice!

Time ........ for you to get one pair of these, Denom! Ask Magma for a special pair of stands ... and you are on! Just need to add a CDp (DVDp shan't do) and your existing HK amp is more than sufficient ... OR ... are you still eyeing the 'active' route?

Time ........ for you to get one pair of these, Denom! Ask Magma for a special pair of stands ... and you are on! Just need to add a CDp (DVDp shan't do) and your existing HK amp is more than sufficient ... OR ... are you still eyeing the 'active' route?

Wait & watch ;)

invert the woofer and the tweeter
hey presto you have the old B&W's ( looks )

Originally Posted by josejames123
I am looking forward to the face off b/w these and the dentons. Cant wait..Btw great review as usual by Denom
Dentons? who's?

Its the dentons whom Denom heard at his friends place :)

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back