Review: Krypton Audio K-100B TL Speakers

denom

Banned
Banned
As promised earlier, am starting this thread on Hari Iyers New Creations, Krypton Audio K-100 TL BS. I heard them for over an hour & half yesterday :)

Lets get the pairing details cleared first:

Amp: Yamaha R300 Stereo Receiver
Source: Yamaha BD-S67 Bluray Player
Cables: Generic ICs & Speaker Cables

Music Heard:

Dave Brubeck Take 5
Miles Davis - Milestones
Aretha Franklin Unforgettable
Carmen McRae Dont Explain
Branford Marsalis - Gutbucket Steepy
No Doubt HellaGood/Hey Baby/Underneath it all
Rainbow Temple Of the King
Queen Show must go on
Alannah Myles Black Velvet
Extreme More than words
Spiro Test CD :lol:

We had a little issue with getting the right height placement of the BS as the stands at hand were too low & could not be used effectively. Half way through, we placed the BS on a pair of FS which almost had the tweeters @ ear level. The speakers were placed approximately 6 odd feet apart.
Listening Experience:
Having heard the speakers for a brief while at FM mpws house last week, I can now say that whatever grouse I had against the speakers was now not present, as Hari has rectified the phase issue& now the speakers did not sound as if they were behind a curtain. No doubt, the source was a huge compromise & so was the amp to a certain extent, but then one could easily identify that these speakers have got what it takes to sound beautiful, when paired with the right partners. The sound stage is wide & am sure these can fill a big room with ease & can also be intimate in sound when placed in a small room.

Physically these are big speakers keeping normal BS in mind & also weigh a respectable 11kgs(for interest of the weight watchers :D)

I have this gut feel that when these are blind tested with a pair of FS, quite a few wont be able to make out which is a BS & which the FS. I say that as the bass from these speakers having 5.25 drivers is amazing. The tweeter is surprisingly refined & does not sound bright, inspite of the Yamaha Amp trying its best to make it shriek. Mids are not bad at all but a tad shy. The overall balance though is good. Another point worth mentioning is that they are not finicky w r t placement, be it with being placed close to their backs or sides, due thanks to them having the TL Terminus on the top end of the cabinet.

I am yet again surprised at how well the speakers reproduce the music, with such balance & also with a fantastic amount of low end that one has to keep in mind as these are BS Speakers.

I sure am glad that I heard these speakers now as I have recently heard an appreciable amount of BS speakers to compare notes with & can safely say that these will take the fight to ones costing between 45k to a lac effortlessly & kill quite a few FS in the 30-70k quite comfortably. Yea, sticking my neck out on this!

Another advantage is that Hari is offering a variety of finishes for the cabinets & grills, so you can match the colour to that of your room & or the accompanying furniture in it.

In short you get a tailor made set for you, which not only sounds but looks good as well. A great + according to me :thumbsup:

PS: 2 Pairs have already been ordered with custom white veneer finish :clapping:

I now request Hari to advise us the Price & Specs of the K-100 TL BS Speakers.

gr8 going hari.. my dad liked your speakers more than the epos that day.

just goes to show that dad and son and not on the same boat on a few things .

ha ha ha !!

:))

mpw

Denom you're heading in the right direction...becoming a pro reviewer. Keep up the good work for our small community!:p

Thanks Denom for as usual grt8 writing.Glad to know that the speakers has gone a step forward that what we heard.The best thing is sound stage.It is big enough.Treble was a bit edgy earlier but nice to know that it has improved after phase correction.Midrange was clean when I heard before.Changing Damping certainly improves the sound quality which Hari demonstrated in my last visit.Nice work Hari.All the Best.

The Basic BS is nearly a third of the FS price ........ thats quite a huge mark-off ... :sad:. And the reviewer says that, blind-folded, one can't distinguish the BS from the FS ... SQ wise .. :mad:. Should I have waited out?

But then, I have'nt heard them as yet .... AND I might (not might ... have to) be blessed with 'finer listening' to the reviewer ... :indifferent14::p

the tweeters are below the woofer. Normal stand of 27 inch height approx will do the trick.

mpw

@Hari, what is the advantage of tweeters being below woofers? Is it anything related to dispersion or off axis response? I suppose that they cannot be kept inverted in view of the port (not getting the correct word) that comes above the top surface.

:lol: forgot to put up 'em pics. These are the test 'mules', hence they have lots of scratches & marks on them, what with Hari taking them everywhere & carrying them in jumbo plastic bags without any covers, suggest he packs them in custom made cloth covers from now on ;)

302x7wo.jpg

2h661wx.jpg

2hf413o.jpg

2a60e2f.jpg

Denom you're heading in the right direction...becoming a pro reviewer. Keep up the good work for our small community!:p

Let me know if any post of reviewer is up for grabs, need to generate some funds through this route for my own benefit. Doing things for free ain't helping me & my quest of setting up my dream audio set-up:sad:

Photos people, cell phones have cameras! :p

Thank you for the review Denom, very nicely written.

Thanks & yea, posted the pics, was in a hurry to watch master chef, thats why forgot to post 'em :p

Post some pics please.

Posted!

Thanks Denom for as usual grt8 writing.Glad to know that the speakers has gone a step forward that what we heard.The best thing is sound stage.It is big enough.Treble was a bit edgy earlier but nice to know that it has improved after phase correction.Midrange was clean when I heard before.Changing Damping certainly improves the sound quality which Hari demonstrated in my last visit.Nice work Hari.All the Best.

Spiro, you need to hear them again now & post your feedback. Take your amp along though besides your "test" CD :eek:hyeah:

The Basic BS is nearly a third of the FS price ........ thats quite a huge mark-off ... :sad:. And the reviewer says that, blind-folded, one can't distinguish the BS from the FS ... SQ wise .. :mad:. Should I have waited out?

But then, I have'nt heard them as yet .... AND I might (not might ... have to) be blessed with 'finer listening' to the reviewer ... :indifferent14::p

Your set now, so forget about these unless you pair 'em with your darling topping :lol: Jokes aside, what I said was in context to comparing them with other FS available in the market NOT your FS!

Very beautifully designed and made. I guess Hari's designs are now getting the attention that they deserve.

@denom : good write up, sir.

PS : what is the black thingie on the top?

Denom, you da man! Bro, you are the most prolific reviewer around here, giving us a bs free, frank opinion on relevant audio gear.

Hari, its great to know that your second product is also gathering good acclaim! way to go. And that is sweet pricing there.
Are these with Peerless drivers?

Avid, man with manganese steel balls, why should thou be disturbeth?

Last edited:
^ Correction ........ manganese steel. Google it, to find out more .. :p
iaudio ..... I am an egoist, and a big one too. My creation HAS to ... and continue to remain the best ........ ehehe.

Last edited:
Let me know if any post of reviewer is up for grabs, need to generate some funds through this route for my own benefit. Doing things for free ain't helping me & my quest of setting up my dream audio set-up:sad:

Yep this is the right way on cyberspace to generate money to make a livelihood too. Become a bandwagon of a brand and write left -right and increase their sales from present figure to prove that your reviews are making an change and have some cut out of it.

Why not approach Hifimart to promote their products and become an bandwagon for their advertised products???:cool: Since lot of items in the mart you can put more reviews..

Making an 1k or 2K for few reviews will not help these days to stay in Mumbai.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back