Review: Krypton Audio K-100B TL Speakers

Believe me, nothing major would have happened to the main unit. Most likely the power supply unit has a minor fault and just about any electrical guy with a multimeter and soldering iron can set it right. Might have to replace a small resistor at the power unit outlet .... Most probably, no power might be going into the Topping unit now ... so, its not coming on and no 'blue light' is there around the volume knob.

@avid-thanks for the tip(your topping just escaped : p )
@srini-as usual thanks for being the robin hood :p

None of the pics include a back shot of the speakers.
Kindly upload one pic with the back shot of both the speakers, Want to see the location of the terminals.

I had some free time this weekend so I thought I'd practice some photoshop. Guess what I worked on?

It's a concept artwork of hari's fostex bookshelf speaker that he might build in the near future :O

FDMix.jpg

I had some free time this weekend so I thought I'd practice some photoshop. Guess what I worked on?

It's a concept artwork of hari's fostex bookshelf speaker that he might build in the near future :O

FDMix.jpg

LOL... looks like a Darth Vader speaker!

Looks like the cover of a sewing machine... Looks great though :)

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

Cor looks to be hung-up on the rounded tops!
Looks to be difficult with a BS design though. The shorter height available would necessitate use of a baffle in between. And the terminus (port) positioning at the rear top would be easier to handle with a flat top.

Cor looks to be hung-up on the rounded tops!
Looks to be difficult with a BS design though. The shorter height available would necessitate use of a baffle in between. And the terminus (port) positioning at the rear top would be easier to handle with a flat top.

I'm a big fan of that look :)

Thanks Cor, I will be looking ahead for the concept design. If suitable technically why not implement them too. This one should be possible to implement with some minor accommodations in the dimensions. I do not have a TL simulator though but it will be interesting to check this design out. A rounded driver would have looked even more fab with the grills removed.

Need to test this design with the Terminus at the back with some kind of mass loading if possible. Will wait for some funds to accumulate and validate technically. Looks should not be important at the expense of SQ.

Hehe, I made it just for fun out of boredom :) If it actually helps you out for designing it then I'm glad to be of help :D

For all you know you could probably make the cabinet longer and still have the terminus at the top, or even front, depending on your technical findings :D

Last edited:
Good Work corElement. Some speaker designers try to achieve as little baffle area as possible to minimize early reflection. So all in all good concept. As for looks, it can be worked upon and form should follow function. As Hari said round shape driver would be good.
nautilus.jpg

Regds.

Last edited:
It depends driver model to model but if one were to look at it very generally it would be this.

Paper cone = all round performer
Metal cone = accurate, precise, high detail and can bite when needed and deliver sharp texture reproduction.
Kevlar cone = warm sound, smooth, not as detailed or textured as metal cone but around the same as paper. It's good for classics and full bodied sound.

If you are pairing with a norge (I don't know what the sound signature of norge is) but if it's bright then kevlar is a good match, if it's warm, then metal cone, if it's just generally ok balanced for you then paper cone.

Thats correctly explained.

Good Work corElement. Some speaker designers try to achieve as little baffle area as possible to minimize early reflection. So all in all good concept. As for looks, it can be worked upon and form should follow function. As Hari said round shape driver would be good.
nautilus.jpg

Regds.

Yeah I felt so too. I put a fostex 126 on it since it was the model Hari mentioned that could be a possibility :eek:hyeah:

Rounded full range drivers ...hmm I know seas prestige is, other than that i have no clue.

Last edited:
@ Hari ........ coming to think of it, whether it is the one with a rounded top or the other with a flat one, try to make a speaker grill in such a fashion that it does not cover the entire face of the unit. By that I mean, the polished/painted wooden edges on the top and side portions should 'show'. It should be visible. The same goes for the below portion too. The grill should cover only that portion which houses the drivers. The rest of the speaker wood should be visible. It should result in a classier aesthetic, IMO.

FDMix.jpg

Man, that's some PS skill you have!

@ Hari ........ try to make a speaker grill in such a fashion that it does not cover the entire face of the unit. By that I mean, the polished/painted wooden edges on the top and side portions should 'show'. It should be visible. The same goes for the below portion too. The grill should cover only that portion which houses the drivers. The rest of the speaker wood should be visible. It should result in a classier aesthetic, IMO.

Like the first picture here?

Somewhat ...... not exactly.
I meant to use a smaller rectangle (black coloured) grill than the bigger speaker (face) rectangle, that covers only the drivers. The top edge, side 'wooden' edges and the lower remains of the speaker have to be bare. The polished wood has to show there.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back