Review of Sharp AH-XP18MV 1.5Ton Eco-Inverter Air Conditioner

Should I be buying Sharp AH-XP18MV or AH-XP18PMT (new)

Can anyone please tell me the difference and which one is better or someother recommendations.

Thanks

Sharp AH-XP18MV is 2013 model. So its better to go for either AH-XP18PMT/PHT or AH-XP18PET.

Note that PMT & PHT are same except for the colour difference. PMT/PHT are top end models having extra features like watt consumption display, ion plasmaclustur, 4 way auto swing, self cleaning which are not in PET.

Sharp AH-XP18MV has almost all the features of PMT/PHT except for some like 4 way auto swing, micro computer control & watt consumption display.

So unless there is considerable difference on MV model than PMT/PHT dont go for it.

Should I be buying Sharp AH-XP18MV or AH-XP18PMT (new)

The main difference between the two is the 18MV's are imported from Thailand, where as the 18PMT/PHT are assembled in India. I find the product quality of 18MV's a bit better in ODU's as well as the IDU's where a little bit wider in the MV.

From a company strategic point of view it seems to be a viable solution to stop importing the 18MV. The 1.5 Ton Inverter version is sold in much higher numbers than the 2.0 Ton variant. So, Sharp decided to drop the 18MV while keeping to import the 24MV (2 Ton) as very small number of units will be sold of these. Now 18PMT/PHT being assembled in India it will cost them significantly less rather than importing complete built units like 18MV from Thailand.

It is for all to understand that 18PMT/PHT does not bring anything new to the table. On the other hand these units are derived from the 18MV.

MV's had power consumption display, sadly the 18PMT/PHT do not (I am informed none of the Indian assembled units does), but other than that performance wise both are identical. This the most important aspect other than reliability.

If I were you I would have definitely gone for 18MV. Now The call is yours.

Sharp AH-XP18MV is 2013 model. So its better to go for either AH-XP18PMT/PHT or AH-XP18PET.

Note that PMT & PHT are same except for the colour difference. PMT/PHT are top end models having extra features like watt consumption display, ion plasmaclustur, 4 way auto swing, self cleaning which are not in PET.

Sharp AH-XP18MV has almost all the features of PMT/PHT except for some like 4 way auto swing, micro computer control & watt consumption display.

So unless there is considerable difference on MV model than PMT/PHT dont go for it.

Can you please confirm about the bold sentences. Rishi believes all 3 models are same please confirm.

The main difference between the two is the 18MV's are imported from Thailand, where as the 18PMT/PHT are assembled in India. I find the product quality of 18MV's a bit better in ODU's as well as the IDU's where a little bit wider in the MV.

From a company strategic point of view it seems to be a viable solution to stop importing the 18MV. The 1.5 Ton Inverter version is sold in much higher numbers than the 2.0 Ton variant. So, Sharp decided to drop the 18MV while keeping to import the 24MV (2 Ton) as very small number of units will be sold of these. Now 18PMT/PHT being assembled in India it will cost them significantly less rather than importing complete built units like 18MV from Thailand.

It is for all to understand that 18PMT/PHT does not bring anything new to the table. On the other hand these units are derived from the 18MV.

MV's had power consumption display, sadly the 18PMT/PHT do not (I am informed none of the Indian assembled units does), but other than that performance wise both are identical. This the most important aspect other than reliability.

If I were you I would have definitely gone for 18MV. Now The call is yours.

Thanks @rishiguru and @somya
Definately will consider an MV if I find a good deal but then all here in mumbai I find it OOS :/

How does it compare with this model of Hitachi: Hitachi 5S Split AC 1.5 TR ACE FMS R410A - RAU518EUDA - 00269399 from Hitachi | Air Conditioners | household-appliances-store | HomeShop18.com

Hi Rishiguru,

I am planning to buy sharp AH-XP18PHT model. How is the cooling of your AH-XP18MV model and how you find it after using for one year?

do you say that the PMT / PHT not better than MV? as far as the COP is concerned I think the
COP of AH-XP18MV is 3.66 which is much lower as compared to COP of AH-XP18PHT - 4.41.

but I dont know how they calculate this EER/COP it should be W/W. but if I do that math then

5270 W(Cooling) / 1440 W (Input) = 3.66 and not 4.41, do you know how they do this calculation?

also as per there broucher

MV - no 4 way swing, operates 46 ambeint temp, 198 low voltage
MV - 4 way swing, operates 48 ambeint temp, 190 low voltage

so in all aspects PHT looks better.

Hi Rishiguru,

I am planning to buy sharp AH-XP18PHT model. How is the cooling of your AH-XP18MV model and how you find it after using for one year?

do you say that the PMT / PHT not better than MV? as far as the COP is concerned I think the
COP of AH-XP18MV is 3.66 which is much lower as compared to COP of AH-XP18PHT - 4.41.

but I dont know how they calculate this EER/COP it should be W/W. but if I do that math then

5270 W(Cooling) / 1440 W (Input) = 3.66 and not 4.41, do you know how they do this calculation?

From my previous post
''I just discovered shocking discovery of Sharp EER rating. What they are calculating is not actual EER but hypothetical Singapore weighted average EER. Only for LV0.8 model there EER is right. For rest all of the 1/1.5/2 ton models they are using Singapore EER.
There actual EER is-

LV 0.8 - 3.81(2800/735) Here they are right
1 ton PET/PMT/PHT - 3.63(3670/1010) They are claiming 4.02
1.5 ton PET/PMT/PHT- 3.65 (5270/1440) They are claiming 4.41

As against for example Samsung is quoting actual EER of 3.52 for 1 ton inverter & 3.82 1.5 ton. Thus for example Samsung 1.5 ton is more efficient here.

So all please be beware if you are going purely by Sharp EER. Dont get fooled.''

Can you please confirm about the bold sentences. Rishi believes all 3 models are same please confirm.
@google

I went through there website info. & the brochure downloaded from there website.

I am sure from there brochure that 4 way auto swing & micro computer control are not there.

Brochure & website was silent regarding watt consumption display & hence I assumed that it was not having it. From Rishiguru post found that the model is having watt consumption display. But just confirmed it before buying if you are planning as during transition phase of the product many times features are modified.

Just bought a sharp 1.5 ton PHT inverter AC for the bedroom, hoping for some savings on the electricity bill in the long run with approx 8 hrs usage per day. On the other hand, I have ordered for a 3 star LG 1.5 ton regular AC for my home theatre room since I use this for 3 hrs 2 or 3 times a wk. hope this was the right choice.

Congratulations for the purchase.:) Hope you enjoy long cool summers.

I find the AH-XP18PHT IDU's retain the same design & look of 18MV's both is color and shape. Just it seems the angular curvature on both ends (left & right) of the IDU have been tapered reducing its width to save cost. Nothing wrong with it, just some plastic been removed which may have aesthetic meaning to someone.

AH-XP18MV (IDU)

ahxp18mv1.jpg

AH-XP18PHT (IDU)

areqehus.jpg

The PMT looking identical to PHT, but comes in all white. Less costly.

AH-XP18PMT (IDU)

The ODU's of the 18MV & 18PMT/PHT looks different, as the fan grills are different.

AH-XP18MV (ODU)

ahxp18mv4.jpg

AH-XP18PHT (ODU)

zy4a4amu.jpg

I find it rather depressing with Sharp opting to omit the thick protective plastic cover found in 18MV's over the valve area of ODU's where the refrigerant pipes meet the ODU. Scraped to save cost.

AH-XP18PMT (ODU)

There was a suggestion in previous posts that the AC shows power consumption rather than the set temp on its LCD . The one I have clearly shows the set temperature on its LCD.

AH-XP18PHT (IDU)

y3adamen.jpg

What is the job of additional flap I found attached on the right side of your 18PHT's louver? Also does the 18PHT have four way auto swing?

AH-XP18PMT (IDU)

India assembled XP18PHT/PMT does not have a power consumption display. Again scrapped to save cost. Only 18MV/ 24MV impoted from Thailand have it as depicted below:

AH-XP18MV (IDU)

ahxp18mv6.jpg

Last edited:
From my previous post
''I just discovered shocking discovery of Sharp EER rating. What they are calculating is not actual EER but hypothetical Singapore weighted average EER. Only for LV0.8 model there EER is right. For rest all of the 1/1.5/2 ton models they are using Singapore EER.
There actual EER is-

LV 0.8 - 3.81(2800/735) Here they are right
1 ton PET/PMT/PHT - 3.63(3670/1010) They are claiming 4.02
1.5 ton PET/PMT/PHT- 3.65 (5270/1440) They are claiming 4.41

As against for example Samsung is quoting actual EER of 3.52 for 1 ton inverter & 3.82 1.5 ton. Thus for example Samsung 1.5 ton is more efficient here.

So all please be beware if you are going purely by Sharp EER. Dont get fooled.''

You are right there EER looks not as per indian standard, its Singapore EER so cant be compared with other indian model. but what I belive is if we divide there rated cooling capacity in watt by there rated power input in watt then we get the indian EER. so you are right its somewhere 3.65 for 1.5 PHT and not 4.41.

Looking at this I think the othere option for me is to go for Hitachi 1.5 ace inverter which has rated EER of 3.81 and I think its better than Korean samsung its Japnese like Sharp -http://www.hitachi-hli.com/images/products/specifications/spe_1390971835.pdf
only thing is price, for sharp 1.5 PHT I got price of 48000 including everything installation pipe stand etc. for Ace I get price of 51000 with pipe and installation.

Any other AC suggetion at 1.5 tone with even better EER more than 3.80?

Last edited:
Hi Rishiguru, I am planning to buy sharp AH-XP18PHT model. How is the cooling of your AH-XP18MV model and how you find it after using for one year?

Excellent.

do you say that the PMT / PHT not better than MV? as far as the COP is concerned I think the COP of AH-XP18MV is 3.66 which is much lower as compared to COP of AH-XP18PHT - 4.41.

The rated COP/EER of 18MV/PHT/PMT is 3.66. All three of them are identical performance & efficiency wise. Don't be fooled by Singaporean COP of 4.41 of 18PMT/PHT. It is a marketing gimmick to lure customers.

The brochure as found in Sharp India website is a POS according to me. It says an Inverter AC like 18MV not to contain a micro-computer module. Man I laughed so much just after looking at the brochure. I believe the person responsible for this brochure must be on high alcoholic dosage that day. :D

Today went to buy 1.1 ton pht for one of my relative but the dealer told me that this model has been stock out from market and will take around 10 days to be in stock again

To confirm the same i talked to one of the represntative of sharp he told me that due to some big corporate order this model has been stock out from all over india because of which it will take sometime to be in stock again

How far this Info correct did anyone also facing the same problem???

Rishiguru thanks for the brief.

I saw in your previous thred you mention the Mitsubishi as one of the powerful AC company. do they have any energy efficient models Like Sharp and Ace Hitachi Inverters?

I searched through all latest modeles of Japnese Company's

Daikin, Mitsubishi Panasonic have there Latest 1.5 Inverter TR Models in rated EER of 3.3 - 3.5 range, I only found Hitachi Ace to be Rated at 3.8 EER. again I am comparing only Japnese brands here so not mentioning Samsung LG.

Today went to buy 1.1 ton pht for one of my relative but the dealer told me that this model has been stock out from market and will take around 10 days to be in stock again

To confirm the same i talked to one of the represntative of sharp he told me that due to some big corporate order this model has been stock out from all over india because of which it will take sometime to be in stock again

How far this Info correct did anyone also facing the same problem???

Its True in Mumbai. In Thane, Maharashtra dealers are facing problems procuring this Sharp 1.1 ton PHT model. This particular model is facing very much high demand in Indian market. So customers have to go for PMT or PET if stock not available of PHT. And thus there is considerable price difference PMT & PHT which are same except colour.

Rishiguru thanks for the brief.

I saw in your previous thred you mention the Mitsubishi as one of the powerful AC company. do they have any energy efficient models Like Sharp and Ace Hitachi Inverters?

I searched through all latest modeles of Japnese Company's

Daikin, Mitsubishi Panasonic have there Latest 1.5 Inverter TR Models in rated EER of 3.3 - 3.5 range, I only found Hitachi Ace to be Rated at 3.8 EER. again I am comparing only Japnese brands here so not mentioning Samsung LG.

I will never buy a star rated non-Inverter AC in my life. Rated EER is not the only way to measure efficiency in an Inverter AC. The Hitachi you are referring has a fixed rated EER of 3.80 as it is a non-Inverter which always operate at its rated capacity.

The Sharp Inverters have rated EER of 3.66 which is applicable only when it is running at its rated capacity (1.5 Ton). During partial throttle mode while operating at its lowest capacity (0.4 Ton) the Sharp 18MV/PHT/PMT will easily reach an EER of 4.5 and above. In other words Inverter's have variable efficiency, and as the tonnage goes down efficiency rises. Thus the Sharp will be much more energy efficient than this Hitachi overall.

Sharp produces real VFM Inverters ACs in India without sacrificing quality, which is why they are of such high demand in India. I can find fellow forum members after hard bargaining are capable to obtain AH-XP18PMT at INR 41K which makes it a great buy.

But if you have the moolah to spend, then go for the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Inverter ACs. Their hot and cold Inverter AC (SRK-50ZJX-S) with industry highest rated EER of 3.85 (1.5 Ton Inverter category) is available at INR 61.5K (20.5K over Sharp). Personally I could not justify this price difference and went for Sharp.

Last edited:
I will never buy a star rated non-Inverter AC in my life. Rated EER is not the only way to measure efficiency in an Inverter AC. The Hitachi you are referring has a fixed rated EER of 3.80 as it is a non-Inverter, where as the Sharp Inverters have rated EER of 3.66 which is applicable only when it is running at its rated capacity.

During partial throttle mode the Sharp will can easily cross an EER of 4. In other words Inverter's have variable efficiency, and the Sharp will be more energy efficient than this Hitachi overall.

Sharp produces real VFM Inverters ACs in India without sacrificing quality, which is why they are of such high demand in India. I can find fellow forum members after hard bargaining are capable to obtain AH-XP18PMT at INR 41K which makes it a great buy.

But if you have the moolah to spend, then go for the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Inverter AC. Their hot and cold Inverter AC (SRK-50ZJX-S) with Industries highest rated EER of 3.85 (1.5 Ton Inverter category) is available at INR 61.5K (20.5K over Sharp). Personally I could not justify this price difference and went for Sharp.

Hi Rishiguru

I am not against Sharp or not inclined towards HITACHI, I am just looking at them and comparing to get what is best today - price performance wise. (but after I saw ur review I am little bit inclined towards Sharp offcourse :))

The Hitachi model I specified is Inverter Model, they do have Ace followme which is normal 5 star - here is the spec for inverter model- http://www.hitachi-hli.com/images/products/specifications/spe_1390971835.pdf

they have something called Tropical Inverter Technology in these new models don't know what it is but I believe it has to deal with controlling the Humidity much better way. and it also have variable COP/EER - 3.8/3.46/4.00

I dont know what VFM Inverter is can you explain it more?

also the mitsubishi model you specified is it available in India? I cant find it on there website can you please give me link for it?

Thanks Rishi!

I will never buy a star rated non-Inverter AC in my life. Rated EER is not the only way to measure efficiency in an Inverter AC. The Hitachi you are referring has a fixed rated EER of 3.80 as it is a non-Inverter which always operate at its rated capacity.

The Sharp Inverters have rated EER of 3.66 which is applicable only when it is running at its rated capacity (1.5 Ton). During partial throttle mode while operating at its lowest capacity (0.4 Ton) the Sharp 18MV/PHT/PMT will easily reach an EER of 4.5 and above. In other words Inverter's have variable efficiency, and as the tonnage goes down efficiency rises. Thus the Sharp will be much more energy efficient than this Hitachi overall.

But if you have the moolah to spend, then go for the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Inverter ACs. Their hot and cold Inverter AC (SRK-50ZJX-S) with industry highest rated EER of 3.85 (1.5 Ton Inverter category) is available at INR 61.5K (20.5K over Sharp). Personally I could not justify this price difference and went for Sharp.

The Hitachi Inverter I suggested is Inverter - its called Ace Inverter and its its variable COP is 3.80/4.46/4.00 , there is also 5 star model available with same name. - http://www.hitachi-hli.com/productdetail/Ace-Inverter/

By the way the Mitsubishi Model you suggested I cant find it on Indian Mitsubishi site, can you give me the link please?

Its True in Mumbai. In Thane, Maharashtra dealers are facing problems procuring this Sharp 1.1 ton PHT model. This particular model is facing very much high demand in Indian market. So customers have to go for PMT or PET if stock not available of PHT. And thus there is considerable price difference PMT & PHT which are same except colour.

Yes even in Pune a dealer confirmed this info.. only PET 1.1 is available

PS: The second dealer's price is similar to what I got from the biggest Sharp distributor in Bangalore. Sharp will do installation themselves for Rs. 1,200 to 1,500. 4m (~13 feet) piping/wiring is included in Sharp Installation Kit, so it is free. This kit is supposed to be among the best in India. My gut feel tells me the first dealer is not reliable. I couldn't get PMT in Bangalore, perhaps he is selling old stock?

Hi

I am planning to purchase PMT 1.5T, request you to provide the contact details of the dealer, as referred above by you.

Just bought a sharp 1.5 ton PHT inverter AC for the bedroom, hoping for some savings on the electricity bill in the long run with approx 8 hrs usage per day. On the other hand, I have ordered for a 3 star LG 1.5 ton regular AC for my home theatre room since I use this for 3 hrs 2 or 3 times a wk. hope this was the right choice.

Hi

I am planning to purchase PMT 1.5T, request you to provide the contact details of the dealer, as referred above by you.

I am not against Sharp or not inclined towards HITACHI, I am just looking at them and comparing to get what is best today - price performance wise. (but after I saw ur review I am little bit inclined towards Sharp offcourse :))

Don't be biased to any brand. Be brand neutral and look to all inverter ACs from different brands from an even ground. I followed the same rule two years before and ended up with a relatively unknown Inverter AC brand in India, namely Sharp.

I dont know what VFM Inverter is can you explain it more?

VFM -> Value For Money

also the mitsubishi model you specified is it available in India? I cant find it on there website can you please give me link for it?

Mitsubishi ac India,Mitsubishi air condintioner,Mitsubishi Room Air Conditioners

Thanks Rishi!

You are most welcome.:)

Thanks! I would also like to know what you think about the Hitachi Ace Inverter AC model I mentioned earlier.

I am getting quote of Sharp 1.5 PHT for 48000 and Hitachi 1.5 Ace Inverter for 50000, both including installation 3 meter pipe and brackets.

COP wise Hitachi looks to me better option, what you think?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back