Rockwool acoustic panel help

Anshul_J

I am planning to install Fabric wrapped rockwool acoustic panels of size 3x2ft in my bedroom. Roxul Rockwool panels are available for density of 40-100 kg/m cube, what density will be appropriate?

Medium density is a good start, since you have not designed these panels based on Room Measurements.

Even more important - the Rockwool should have an airgap between itself and the wall. If you are using 3 inch think Rockwool, mount it 3 inches away from the wall.

I am planning to install Fabric wrapped rockwool acoustic panels of size 3x2ft in my bedroom. Roxul Rockwool panels are available for density of 40-100 kg/m cube, what density will be appropriate?
What is the intention of the panel? Is it for bass frequencies, are you going to add multiple sheets or a single sheet. Check the NRC of Roxul and see which frequencies you are trying to absorb and make your decision based on that.

Dont take very high density rockwool esp. if you are going to add multiple layers. Like IndianEars said, ideal would be to have a sandwich of two inch sheets with a two inch gap. If you are taking a single or two sheets, a sheet with 40-60 should be fine.

Thanks guys. My main reason for installing this would be to tackle reflections in my room. I will be using single sheet of 50mm in a wooden frame with maybe 10mm airgap with the wall due to space constraint. Seems 40-50kg/m should suffice.

Thanks guys. My main reason for installing this would be to tackle reflections in my room. I will be using single sheet of 50mm in a wooden frame with maybe 10mm airgap with the wall due to space constraint. Seems 40-50kg/m should suffice.
Should work wonders for reflections if you are putting them up in the right places ( first reflection points) saying this as just adding accoustic foam ( those pyramid ones from mmt accoustix) made a big difference for reflections in my setup

A couple of thoughts....

1. Room Reflections, particularly at the 1st Reflection points I feel are best handled by DIFFUSERS at these locations, rather than Absorbers.

2. I cant stress enough, the importance of having an airgap (between the Rockwool and wall) Equal to the thickness of the Rockwool.

When I spoke with aural exchange. They suggested 60
I purchased a few boxes of roxul rockwool safe n silent pro 380 a few days ago and the rates quoted on the aural website are very high. I did a bit of research and sourced them through a distributor for a very good deal. Kindly PM and let me know if you need the details for the distributor.

I purchased a few boxes of roxul rockwool safe n silent pro 380 a few days ago and the rates quoted on the aural website are very high. I did a bit of research and sourced them through a distributor for a very good deal. Kindly PM and let me know if you need the details for the distributor.
PM sent

A couple of thoughts....

1. Room Reflections, particularly at the 1st Reflection points I feel are best handled by DIFFUSERS at these locations, rather than Absorbers.

2. I cant stress enough, the importance of having an airgap (between the Rockwool and wall) Equal to the thickness of the Rockwool.
I am looking to install these panels on the front wall(behind the speakers) and the back wall(behind the listener, above the bed), no idea about the 1st reflection points. BTW these are the only walls where I can install the panels. Can you give examples of diffusers(especially esthetically pleasing), I believe rockwool is an absorber, right?

I am looking to install these panels on the front wall(behind the speakers) and the back wall(behind the listener, above the bed), no idea about the 1st reflection points. BTW these are the only walls where I can install the panels. Can you give examples of diffusers(especially esthetically pleasing), I believe rockwool is an absorber, right?
These locations are Good for Absorbers :) :cool:

Any reason why?
Good Point, sud98.

Technical Literature often says absorb the 1st reflection point.

When I was doing up my 2 channel music room, I had a LOT of issues. I am using HUGE Speakers in a Small Room, so there were significant problems with not only LF, but mid freqs too.

I decided to use a LOT of absorption in my room to overcome the LF issue.

I experimented with putting absorbers and diffusers at the 1st Reflection point, which mainly affects Mid freq & HF.

Absorbers at these points made the music lifeless and slow ... I am sure partly because I had already used a fair amount of absorption else where in my room. Diffusers at the 1st reflection point brought voices (particularly female vocals) back to life, and provided me the immediacy that I treasure. My "Diffusers are CD Racks on the side walls. Work Very well, and also are very functional.

Anshul J says he wants to treat his Bedroom, for Mids and HF. A bedroom will already have a fair amount of absorption due to the mattresses, hence my recomendation to use Diffusers at the 1st Reflection points.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The reason I asked was what you mentioned, most literature points to absorbers in first reflection point and diffusors in the back (only if you have a lot of space from the MLP).

By adding a diffusor at the first reflection point, you will spread the signal to cause multiple sound waves hitting the MLP at different points of time. While this can give an enveloping sound, esp. if you are listening to movies. For music, wouldn't it be better to simply move the speakers closer and away from the side wall so you get the direct sound rather than the reflected sound.

When rest of the room has a fair amount of absorption, the sound diffused (away from the ears) from the 1st Reflection point gets reasonably absorbed.

Very important for me is to ensure that the room does not sound "Dead" ... Its like "Throwing Out The Baby With The Bathwater" :)

Of course every room and its speakers react differently. Also personal tastes vary a lot. So experimentation is best.

A mattress or thick pillow can be used as temporary absorbers for experimentation

As many suggested here. Stick with the basics. first two reflection points, use absorbers(depending on the room size ) Diffusers in every other place. and if your room is small, back wall (wall opp to screen) also come to play. Make sure you have some material there as well. Stick to this and you are good. In you are going for behind the screen speakers you need some absorbing there as well. -Ram

PM sent

look for panels which have a perforated wooden slate which are placed on top rockwool/fiberglass etc at first reflection points. The do both absorption and diffusion. Absorb the low end and diffuse the highs.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back