Role call for Heavy Metal/Extreme Metal listeners...

Sandesh

So how many of you listen to Metal music here? And I'm talking about classic Metal like Priest, Maiden, Sabbath etc or Black/Death Metal. I don't consider Lamb of God, Korn, Limp Bizkit or any of these modern bands actual "Metal". :D

Count me in. Anything from Sabbath to Megadeth to Cradle of Filth to Type O Negative to Cynic is fine.

Even before i could lookup your location, i kinda guessed where you may be from??? I'm a huge maiden fan, started with deep purple and judas priest. Among the relatively recent ones prefer creed & evanescence \m/ \m/

I am a drummer meself. Played in a few gigs earlier. Love metal, the list can go on. Don't like thrash though...

Back in those days, never missed the Strawberry Fields, Freedom Jams, TAAQ and many more in Bangalore.

Cheers...

Used to listen to and love metal and hard rock once upon a time. Time has tamed me :(. Nowadays, I try not to play aggressive music infront of my new born kid.

Like Mowgli...I too find myself mellowed down a bit since I first got into metal nearly 26 years ago...but no extreme/death/black for me please...

Still go for Maiden, Priest, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Fates Warning, Shadow Gallery, Dio....and more :D

Still listen to Tool, Opeth, some Metallica off and on - and more recently discovered Gojira. Back in the days, used to listen to Slayer, Sepultura, etc. as well. Like many others, I've mellowed a fair bit.

Guys, don't get me wrong, but can I make a humble suggestion? Try to snap out of the past and try discovering the newer bands, the newer live acts, etc. I lived for several years in Bangalore - and the one thing I see is that most of the genuine music fans - metalheads, classic rock fans etc. are stubbornly clinging on to the past. This reflects in the kind of music that the rock bars play - its the same old songs repeated to death.

Please don't misunderstand me - I genuinely love the classics too, and I'm not getting into a pissing contest as to who is better and who is worse. All I'm saying is that if you genuinely love music and certain genres of music, you might be surprised at the new stuff that's coming out.

Before you write off the new acts as garbage, remember, garbage always existed in music, and will continue to exist - and the same goes for class acts as well. It just so happens that over time, the garbage got filtered out so you only see the truly great bands of the 80s and 90s. If you have the patience to sift through the garbage in more modern bands, there are many gems to be discovered - and it can be a very rewarding experience.

For example, check out L'Enfant Sauvage by Gojira. I was taken aback at how good this band is. And of all things, this is a French metal band that talks about environmental issues!

GOJIRA - l'enfant sauvage - Official Video - YouTube

Born In Winter is a stunning song too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3p6YTCTJ5o

Last edited:
please share how you could have guessed location? I would have associated metal more with north eastern states.
also will evanescence come under metal?
Actually IMO North East is more identified for Rock, Bangalore has always been the metal hub. Starting right from the time Milliennium played live shows in the later 80s.

I've been into metal since my school days, back in the mid-1980s. Bon Jovi's New Jersey was where I made a start and then Europe toured India, by then I was hooked. My staple is mostly british metal, glam metal, thrash metal and instrumental rock (guitar). Pink Floyd is about the only non-metal act that I usually listen to.

Fav band: Metallica / Megadeth / Pantera
Fav front man: James Hetfield / Sebastian Bach / Lemmy Gilmister
Fav guitarist: Slash / Dave Mustaine / Jimmy Page
Fav drummer: Lars Ulrich / Matt Sorum / Nicko McBrain
Fav bassist: Cliff Burton (RIP) / Steve Harris
Fav live performance: Iron Maiden Rock In Rio / Skid Row live at Wembly
Fav stadium rock band: Def Leppard / Iron Maiden
Fav live performers: KISS / Iron Maiden / Metallica / ACDC
Fav Album: Master of Puppets - Metallica / Cowboys From Hell - Pantera / Black in Black - ACDC
Fav Song: Sad But True - Metallica / Heat Seaker - ACDC / Painkiller - Judas Priest

Fav rock instrumental guitarist - Eric Johnson / Stevie Vai / Joe Satriani

Last edited:
I've been into metal since my school days, back in the mid-1980s. Bon Jovi's New Jersey was where I made a start and then Europe toured India, by then I was hooked. My staple is mostly british metal, glam metal, thrash metal and instrumental rock (guitar). Pink Floyd is about the only non-metal act that I usually listen to.

Fav Album: Master of Puppets - Metallica / Cowboys From Hell - Pantera / Black in Black - ACDC
Fav Song: Sad But True - Metallica / Heat Seaker - ACDC / Painkiller - Judas Priest

Good old classic heavy metal! Nothing to beat it! I'm a massive fan of Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, WASP, Mercyful Fate and King Diamond from the traditional heavy metal scene. Hope to set up my entire system, so I can spin some classic tunes very soon!

You bet.

The technical gurus. G3 Live simple amazing. "For the Love of God".....probably one of my best and greatest :)

+1

I was much inspired by Kiss,Metalica,AC/DC,pantera and more.. everytime Metals gives some feel which is some thing like "Dying out of Joy" for me..and after it i feel "Oh still am alive"

Takes me somewhere until the music drain off from the Source.

Thanks for the thread to record my thoughts:)

While I am mainly into classic and progressive rock, I grew up on rock/metal in 80s and 90s and often listen to metal even today: Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Slayer, ACDC, Sepultura and even our own Millenium

Plenty of brilliant songs, here are a few off the top of my head that I really liked (one of each from above list):
Cemetery Gates - Pantera
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
Painkiller - Judas Priest
Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Seasons in the Abyss - Slayer
Back in Black - ACDC
Territory - Sepultura
Final Sign - Millenium

Very few new songs interest me, so I shuffle between the 60s and 90s.

Here's one new fusion metal that I liked:
Rudra - Hymns from the Blazing Chariot - Official (HD) - YouTube

+1 for metal

From Maiden to Emperor
From Nightwish to Helloween
From Paradise lost to My Dying Bride
From Dream Theater to Dark Tranquility
From Slayer to Slipknot . .. .

... and so on . . . Like them all .!! \m/

Iron Maiden/Scorpians/Quite Riot/Twisted Sister/Slayer/Mettalica/ACDC/Black Sabbath/Judas Priest/Def Leppard....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back