Role call for Heavy Metal/Extreme Metal listeners...

I think I have around 60 vinyls in total as of now consisting of 12", 10" and 7"'s. I have stuff right from classic rock such as Nazreth, Deep Purple, Eagles, Rolling stones, Scorpions to Iron Maiden, WASP to Morbid Angel to a lot more undergrind Death and Black Metal bands like Rahu, Bolzer, Alchemyst, Graveland, Spear of Longinus etc...

Which Morbid Angel LPs do you have? Any of them for sale? I'm looking for their debut, 3rd and 4th album. And yeah..i got Pestilence about 10 days ago..Near Mint condition! :yahoo: Yesterday got 3 modern classics in my mailbox : Opeth's Still Life and Damnation + Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet.

and I'm familiar with Alchemyst..great debut album last year!

Last edited:
Old school metalhead here too! Got introduced to Rock/Metal in school days when I had the only double-deck tape player and used to record a whole lotta stuff for friends from the North East. Man, some of my friends could really play amazingly well too!

I carried on and listened to a whole lotta metal of the 80's and 90's and then music died :)

Guys, don't get me wrong, but can I make a humble suggestion? Try to snap out of the past and try discovering the newer bands, the newer live acts, etc. I lived for several years in Bangalore - and the one thing I see is that most of the genuine music fans - metalheads, classic rock fans etc. are stubbornly clinging on to the past. This reflects in the kind of music that the rock bars play - its the same old songs repeated to death.

Please don't misunderstand me - I genuinely love the classics too, and I'm not getting into a pissing contest as to who is better and who is worse. All I'm saying is that if you genuinely love music and certain genres of music, you might be surprised at the new stuff that's coming out.

Gotta agree - there are some gems out there. But sadly, I don't see too many of them around these days that really suit my tastes. I love long licks on the guitar and that wailing threat of a lead guitar. What I really can't get these days is the growling. For me, metal is a statement. It isn't just for the singer, he should show and make the world see it too. If I can't understand the lyrics, then I really don't get it. Damn, I think I am too old!!

Fav band: Metallica / Megadeth / Pantera
Fav front man: James Hetfield / Sebastian Bach / Lemmy Gilmister
Fav guitarist: Slash / Dave Mustaine / Jimmy Page
Fav drummer: Lars Ulrich / Matt Sorum / Nicko McBrain
Fav bassist: Cliff Burton (RIP) / Steve Harris
Fav live performance: Iron Maiden Rock In Rio / Skid Row live at Wembly
Fav stadium rock band: Def Leppard / Iron Maiden
Fav live performers: KISS / Iron Maiden / Metallica / ACDC
Fav Album: Master of Puppets - Metallica / Cowboys From Hell - Pantera / Black in Black - ACDC
Fav Song: Sad But True - Metallica / Heat Seaker - ACDC / Painkiller - Judas Priest

Fav rock instrumental guitarist - Eric Johnson / Stevie Vai / Joe Satriani

Some proper old school stuff there. Awesome.

Include one more to this list. Love heavy metal. Still remember those days at Styx pub in Bangalore.

Anybody been to this place then?

Wow, good to see fans of Styx here. Man, we used to practically live in Styx all weekends. I wonder how much money I would have spent there in my first 3 years in Bangalore. What times we've had!! Lousy beer, ok food, Melvin the waiter and some headbanging! Heaven!!

been there..yup. cassettes of everything from black sabbath to venom to testament to white zombie to danzig.. then came cds ..sepultura, death, carcass, and one of my favorite bands - entombed..

i do have some lp's of cannibal corpse, cradle of filth, slayer, dark throne et al...and some lps of upcoming bands like profanator, evil incarnate, under a torn sky..

i have almost all albums of Burzum in lp's..

btw, we had a small time band thing going during college, just about managed play some tracks by sepultura, megadeth, pantera, smashing pumpkins and likes..

im not so much into metal as of now..

Yes, after broadning my vinyl collection, I have also diversified my music tastes but I still dig heavy metal, especially Glam and Thrash

Awesome to see so many metalheads here! Btw did anyone go for the Bangalore Open Air this year? Please share your experience if you did..I missed it! :( (Had my final project demo in college in Surathkal) I heard Iced Earth ruled the festival by far!

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Motorhead, Pantera, Judas Priest, Guns N Roses, Deep Purple, RHCP, SOAD, RATM, Sepultura

My tastes are very similar to that posted my reubensm, good old classic hair metal or heavy metal.

I've been into metal since my school days, back in the mid-1980s. Bon Jovi's New Jersey was where I made a start and then Europe toured India, by then I was hooked. My staple is mostly british metal, glam metal, thrash metal and instrumental rock (guitar). Pink Floyd is about the only non-metal act that I usually listen to.

Fav band: Metallica / Megadeth / Pantera
Fav front man: James Hetfield / Sebastian Bach / Lemmy Gilmister
Fav guitarist: Slash / Dave Mustaine / Jimmy Page
Fav drummer: Lars Ulrich / Matt Sorum / Nicko McBrain
Fav bassist: Cliff Burton (RIP) / Steve Harris
Fav live performance: Iron Maiden Rock In Rio / Skid Row live at Wembly
Fav stadium rock band: Def Leppard / Iron Maiden
Fav live performers: KISS / Iron Maiden / Metallica / ACDC
Fav Album: Master of Puppets - Metallica / Cowboys From Hell - Pantera / Black in Black - ACDC
Fav Song: Sad But True - Metallica / Heat Seaker - ACDC / Painkiller - Judas Priest

Fav rock instrumental guitarist - Eric Johnson / Stevie Vai / Joe Satriani

Slayer - Reign In Blood, perhaps the heaviest metal album of all time.

Yes for 1986 it was by far the most extreme album. And scary too..the detailed artwork, the music..The beginning of Raining Blood still gives me the chills! However i would disagree with the 'all time' quote :D Since then i think there have been a few albums that might top RIB in terms of heaviness. To name a few: Strapping Young Lad's 'City', Cryptopsy's 'None So Vile', Immolation's 'Close to a World Below', etc. Some of the western classical stuff were also quite heavy. Especially Richard Wagner. The bottom end of his compositions sound so layered and huge! He used to add a lot of extra, layered orchestration for the bass.

I am a die-hard fan of Iron Maiden.

I also love solo albums from Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford.

Nowadays, I enjoy music from Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom and Sonata Arctica and sometimes, Metallica.

For me, the Black album was the last Metallica Album. Liked Death Magnetic thou, it had shades of their old albums.

The Black Album is Metallica's landmark album and probably the best selling Heavy Metal Album of all time. But I've always enjoyed Kill Em' All, Ride the Lightening, Master Of Puppets, ...and Justice For All too. I think Metallica were at their peak with Master of Puppets.

I listen to Metallica once in a while - mostly the Black Album.
St. Anger and Death Magnetic were epic blunders committed by a band that was awesome once upon a time.

I would say Sr. Anger and Lulu were epic blunders. Death Magnetic was probably an attempt to get back to old-school.

Yes, I second reubensm... death magnetic was a try at the old stuff. With the Black album, they got lot of non metal people to sample what is heavy metal.

BTW, Violent Redemption was a revelation. Thank you for sharing the link. Much better than Avial... true International act.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back