Samsung A450 vs Panasonic PV80

madbullram

Guys,
Finally zeroed down to 2 models.

Samsung 42A450 - 48k + Airtel free

Pana PV80 - 56K

Is it worth going extra 8k (+ 3000 rs Airtel) offer for Pana Pv80? Mine would be 70% SD and 30% (Upscaled DVD and 720P movies using WD TV)

Need to finalize by EOD.

I own a Samsung and would vote for the same. However you wont be disappointed with the Pana as well. Both have good following on the forum.

From the deals it seems the Samsung has a better value.

You are right, even I was thinking the same but 50K is big money and I dont want to vest on something which might prove wrong in longer run.

I own the Samsung 410 and it's an excellent TV....but the Panny should be better for SD......my thought process would be that in about a year or so we can expect HD broadcasts and HD STBs.....in that scenario the SD advantage of the Panny would be negated....but until then for watching your STB, you're probably better off with the Panny. If you ask me if that improvement is worth 8k, definitely not....but if you hunt around you might find a better price for the PV80....why don't you consider the PV8, the picture is virtually identical, the PV80 just has some additional features i believe.

I compared PV80 as it matches A450 and have also read in other forums that the pic quality of PV80 is better than PV8. Also, in chennai even PV8 is 55K only in Bangy we can get it for 50k

So even there is a price difference between PV8 and A450. Also, A410 is now available for 42k but its 50Hz hence my reservation.

I really couldn't tell much of a difference between both these TV's.
I keep hearing that Panny is better for SD and Sammy for HD but yet to see the difference thanks to my tolerant eyes.
Sammy is definitely the better looking one though.
I gave Panny PV80D the benefit of the doubt and will hopefully receive it later today.
I suggest that you go to Chellamani & Co. to get the prices. They seem to have the cheapest deals and its lesser than the price you have quoted.
I seriously doubt that PV80 has better pic quality than PV8. The additional features are the SD card slot, 1 HDMI port and Automatic Contrast Tracking.

Based on the specifications, the picture quality shud be exactly same in PV8 and PV80.
Pls let me know if u noticed any difference.
BTW, the best price for PV8 that I got so far in Chennai is 53k

madbullram said:
I compared PV80 as it matches A450 and have also read in other forums that the pic quality of PV80 is better than PV8.

If you try reading a few more forums, you'll come to know that actually they both are same in PQ. And i compared them side by side as well, didnt see any difference. It's always better if you let your eyes get the comparison done. Why don't you try a panasonic showroom for that?
Besides that, PV80 has an extra HDMI port and SD card slot. Do you need it?

And for SD, i really didnt like the PQ of Samsung A410 and A450. Their color reproduction just wasn't upto the mark. Leading point for samsungs is their HD signal output. The difference is VERY BIG compared to the other entry level plasmas. They even own a lot of entry level LCD's in this department. Even though they give out lesser resolution than the LCD's, their color reproduction is just amazing. So, basically, samsungs are going to be better only in future i guess.

I've made a similar comparison recently and concluded that this "Panasonic plasma vs Samsung plasma" fight was dependant only on whether we will use HD more or SD.

madbullram said:
Also, in chennai even PV8 is 55K
Here,in mumbai, it's 47K. You surely will get a better deal if you look around.

So, overall, in your case, i'll suggest a Panasonic, and PV8 in particular.

Last edited:
Best deal I have got here is 48,400 rs for PV8 and 48,000 for Samsung A450 with Airtel Sky.

Saw both TVs and couldn't really differentiate much. Infact, 720P through WD TV played much better on Samy.

So, now I am still tilting towards Samy as compared to PV8 it has an extra HDMI, 3D ready, PIP. Have to decide in a day as the price offer is only till Sunday

:confused:

:) go for it....it's a beautiful TV, and once you get hold of it, you'll find yourself watching a lot more HD than SD....trust me.....and then of course get an Oppo 980 to feed it....and you'll be a happy camper.....

Best deal I have got here is 48,400 rs for PV8 and 48,000 for Samsung A450 with Airtel Sky.

Saw both TVs and couldn't really differentiate much. Infact, 720P through WD TV played much better on Samy.

So, now I am still tilting towards Samy as compared to PV8 it has an extra HDMI, 3D ready, PIP. Have to decide in a day as the price offer is only till Sunday

:) go for it....it's a beautiful TV, and once you get hold of it, you'll find yourself watching a lot more HD than SD....trust me.....and then of course get an Oppo 980 to feed it....and you'll be a happy camper.....

Oppo is out of Budget as my WD TV will take care of all HD movies ;) Already have Iron Man etc in DTS 720p waiting.

Samy also has Airtel Offer though that aint a deal breaker. Only thing that keeps me thinking is Pana's undisputable reputation in Plasma and also the fact 450 and PV8 are almost same. 410 is out as its 50Hz and I am looking at 100 Hz.

Whats this 3D deal anyway?

Don't let "reputation" in the sense of their past history weigh on your decision.....at most look at the reputation of the present models......there was a time when Sharp made the best LCD TVs.....if you went and bought an Aquos today relying on that reputation you might be slightly disappointed compared to a Sony or a Samsung.

100 hz honestly doesn't make too much of a difference in the plasmas, or at least i couldn't make out anything more than a marginal difference between the 410 and 450, but if you like that marginal difference then go for it.

450 and PV8 are both excellent TVs and have different strenghts, the PV8's strengths are its scaler (resulting in superior SD pictures) and its black levels, the 450's strengths are in its overall picture reproduction (resulting in superior pictures when scaling is not required) and especially colour reproduction where it outdoes the Panasonics. Your choice will have to therefore depend on the SD/HD equation and how you see it panning out (nor merely how it is now). If you think that you'll start watching more HD, or HD broadcasts will come around, then buy the Samsung, if you think you'll stick with your tata sky box and 70:30 ratio for the foreseeable future, go for the Panasonic.

Of course keep in mind that the Samsung is much better looking, and has an additional HDMI port. 3D is superfluous, it is a feature that may become useful in the future when there is more 3D content, and it will still require some additional purchases to get it working, so don't let that be a factor.

So decide based on your HD/SD projections, and know that neither choice will let you down, even if your projections go wrong, as the differences are not very big.

Oppo is out of Budget as my WD TV will take care of all HD movies ;) Already have Iron Man etc in DTS 720p waiting.

Samy also has Airtel Offer though that aint a deal breaker. Only thing that keeps me thinking is Pana's undisputable reputation in Plasma and also the fact 450 and PV8 are almost same. 410 is out as its 50Hz and I am looking at 100 Hz.

Whats this 3D deal anyway?

Thanks Mate. You were the one got me interested in Samy when I was blind with Pana. Will breathe today and take a call after a good night sleep.

In fact, just saw Iron Man 720p in my Onida Oxy and it rocked, the clarity was out of the world. Just got my free SCV set top box so DTH is out of equation till such time they launch affordable HD :)

Thanks Mate. You were the one got me interested in Samy when I was blind with Pana. Will breathe today and take a call after a good night sleep.

In fact, just saw Iron Man 720p in my Onida Oxy and it rocked, the clarity was out of the world. Just got my free SCV set top box so DTH is out of equation till such time they launch affordable HD :)

Ok. Here we go. I strongly urge you to visit e-zone, once inside, walk straight back to where they had kept all the 50" screens for display; and behind those rows of 50" tvs, they had kept on top row PV80 and 450 side by side, and down PV8 and 410 side by side, both running upscaled DVDs from PS3. That's the best place in whole of chennai for that upclose comparison of all the four models. Believe me, all four look stunning. But, if you ask me, I would defintely vouch for PV80 or PV8 for the awesome SD PQ, yeah am really biased here for Pana for what they can do for SD. If you had already visited e-zone for your audition, then you know what to get;)

I have PV8D. In conclusion, if you WATCH SD most of the time, then it has got to be either PV80 or PV8, period.

You're getting good price quote for panna, that's one more excellent thing, I got mine for 53k from Chellamani & Co.

Finally, you can visit Psychotropic's home for Sammy demo and mine for Pana demo for SD, before you take the plunge.:)

Ok. Here we go. I strongly urge you to visit e-zone, once inside, walk straight back to where they had kept all the 50" screens for display; and behind those rows of 50" tvs, they had kept on top row PV80 and 450 side by side, and down PV8 and 410 side by side, both running upscaled DVDs from PS3. That's the best place in whole of chennai for that upclose comparison of all the four models. Believe me, all four look stunning. But, if you ask me, I would defintely vouch for PV80 or PV8 for the awesome SD PQ, yeah am really biased here for Pana for what they can do for SD. If you had already visited e-zone for your audition, then you know what to get;)

I have PV8D. In conclusion, if you WATCH SD most of the time, then it has got to be either PV80 or PV8, period.

You're getting good price quote for panna, that's one more excellent thing, I got mine for 53k from Chellamani & Co.

Finally, you can visit Psychotropic's home for Sammy demo and mine for Pana demo for SD, before you take the plunge.:)

Awesome bro, I did the ezone test but there Sammy won in my eyes but as you said its HD not SD. When can I come home ? Where do you live, nothing like a real time test :)

Btw: Can Pana and Sammy owners check in manual if the HDMI is 1.3 or 1.2. I read in one review PV8/80 are 1.3 but Sammy seems to be 1.2 which is strange

I don't want you to get into any sort of confusion, but as per what you said earlier, u'r gonna watch 70% SD, right? And i still havn't seen you talking about the Tata SKy/Big TV/Airtel signals after you compared them. If you actually did the comparison, and still found Sammy better (or atleast same), there's no real reason to look back. Get the Sammy.
If it's the other way around, you know which one to go far.

As i said earlier, let your eyes do some deciding as well.

Best of luck ;)

I don't want you to get into any sort of confusion, but as per what you said earlier, u'r gonna watch 70% SD, right? And i still havn't seen you talking about the Tata SKy/Big TV/Airtel signals after you compared them. If you actually did the comparison, and still found Sammy better (or atleast same), there's no real reason to look back. Get the Sammy.
If it's the other way around, you know which one to go far.

As i said earlier, let your eyes do some deciding as well.

Best of luck ;)

I couldnt get a side-by-side comparison on SD. eZone had only HD content and Sammy 450 was clear winner in that at factory settings. I saw SD content seperately in Samsung Digital Shoppe and Pana brand shop and I seriously couldnt say which was better. Both were same. So cant really say until and unless I see it side-by-side.

For now I have SCB STB and wont upgrade till I get HD DTH. Why pay 450+ for all channels when i get it for 170rs with SCV platinum :)

Yes, i'll heavily recommend comparison again, and strictly side-by-side this time.

Not possible in chennai :(

Seeing a Plasma on display itself is a great deal here. Everywhere you go "Sir plasma is dead technology sirrrrrr, why you wasting the money on dead technology sirrrrrr, buy LCD sirrrr and play blue ray DVD on your DVD player sirrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hi bullram:

I just remembered, Shahs in Adyar had PV8 and 410 and both connected to STB, this was when I was doing my research 4 months back. Please call them if its possible. That might be the last resort for a decent side-by-side comparison. Otherwise, you just have to follow what your heart says.:)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back