Samsung Q60R or LG SM8600 or Panasonic GX800

soumyajit92

Got the lowest quote for 49Q60R - 73k, Pana 55gx800 - 73k, LG 55sm8600 - 69k in kolkata. Couldn't take a demo of q60r. Sm8600 HDR looked okay, nothing special but the lg web os interface and the price seemed really good. But i was really really impressed at the picture quality and the HDR performance of gx800. Buying tomorrow. What should i do? Also are these prices alright?

Go for GX800 ....it is at par with 950g and Q80 except FALD .. Panasonic color tone is perfect .. best of all the brand ..Use True cinema mode ..which is perfect OOTB. . I have used 55FX730D for 6 months ..GX800D is Rebadged 730D in addition of HCx processor and DV ..

Thank you. I'm also mostly inclined towards panasonic, HDR content really popped and colors looked fantastic. I guess 73k is a good price for the set.

Do you watch in a dark room? If yes, know that GX models in India come with IPS panel and not VA panel, so reviews from Europe and UK are not valid, including Vincent's review. Now IPS panels have a contrast of 1000:1 instead of 4000:1 of the VA panels used abroad by Panasonic. So in HDR with peak brightness of 400 nits, the blacks will be at 0.4 nits instead of 0.1 nits. That's a lot. Rise in blacks is a lot more perceptible than rise in whites. Tell us more about your usage for a better recommendation. Also, check redisco's recent thread. He was pretty underwhelmed with the IPS panel TV he finally bought. 73k is a lot, considering that you can get a 55-inch FALD set abroad in half the cost.

Yo, in my room exactly opposite to my TV is a 7ft x 5.5ft window, the the window is south-east facing so i get alot of sunlight from 8am to 1 pm. Curtains(blue 0.2mm thick) help reduce the sunlight to some extent but at the cost of blue tint in the whole room (image of room at 3pm) ik the picture quality is bad.

I like to watch movies in a dark environment. will the gx800 suffice? Sony x8000g has a more brightness. I compared 49" gx750 to 49" 8000g at a store, the 8000g showed more details on the grass field, water droplets and the variation in color of grass compared to than the gx750 : ( will this change in the 55" gx800? they have the same processors

Last edited:
I have blackout cloth lining on my living room curtains which has my HT also.
There is absolutely no light leakage through the curtains.
Yo, in my room exactly opposite to my TV is a 7ft x 5.5ft window, the the window is south-east facing so i get alot of sunlight from 8am to 1 pm. Curtains(blue 0.2mm thick) help reduce the sunlight to some extent but at the cost of blue tint in the whole room (image of room at 3pm) ik the picture quality is bad.

I like to watch movies in a dark environment. will the gx800 suffice? Sony x8000g has a more brightness. I compared 49" gx750 to 49" 8000g at a store, the 8000g showed more details on the grass field, water droplets and the variation in color of grass compared to than the gx750 : ( will this change in the 55" gx800? they have the same processors

Good to see Panasonic still aces in color reproduction. But I miss the days when the forums buzzed with discussions on their Plasmas. I am still hanging on to the ST50 after 7 years and it has served me well. The only concern then over plasmas was the daylight visibility, which over the years I found hardly a problem. I have large living room with wide windows, but once the thick curtains are drawn the colors pop out on the dark background. Yeah, if one looks carefully one can see faint reflections, but that’s something I easily settle for given the vast improvement in picture liveliness and color tones over the LED TVs which were the alternative then. Nighttime viewing was never an issue, I prefer watching under yellow/warm lights instead of the white ones.

Not sure this helps the OP, but the post made me reminisce and share.

Good to see Panasonic still aces in color reproduction. But I miss the days when the forums buzzed with discussions on their Plasmas. I am still hanging on to the ST50 after 7 years and it has served me well.
I bought my Panny E6B LED 6 years back. Two of them, in fact. Definitely superior in colour reproduction than Sony, Sammy, LG, et al.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back