Schiit Yggdrasil closed form DAC

audiodelic

Hearing is believing...I would love to hear it in a shootout with different quality DACs and then decide for myself which implementation is better.. Not sure if anyone even owns a Gungnir in the Delhi/NCR region but a shootout with a Gungnir will tell us how good the Yggy could be..

I'm sure this DAC will sound very very good considering its coming from Mike Moffat. Would love to listen to it some day. There is a lot of marketing jargon thrown around on the page but yes I do agree with the basic idea that multibit ladder DACs are the state of the art in digital - something a standard DS chip will never be able to reach.

Hi, there is a review of the Yggdrasil in a site called headmania.org which is worth looking at. It places the Yggdrasil in context, which is very useful. Vivek

The reviewer has compared it to the much more expensive MSB Analog DAC as well as the older Theta DAC. Very interesting indeed - the Theta still piques interest and a strong like! Scary part will be no spares etc., presumably.

Anyone compared it with the Emotiva DC-1 ?

The Yggy is in a different league. Chris Connaker has a Yiggy on loan for a review at CA and he says it has been a long time since he has heard a DAC this good on first listen - comparing it to his Berkeley Audio Reference. It's going to be interesting because he also has the new Merging Technologies NADAC also.

The best part about the Yggy is the price ($2,299) vs reference DACs from other players which cost multiples of that.

Hi Nikhil, would still urge you to read the headmania.org review. Think it provides a neat balanced perspective (in my opinion) and music listened to across genre.

The best part about the Yggy is the price ($2,299) vs reference DACs from other players which cost multiples of that.

Exactly! The price performance ratio is what got my interest going in the first place. Im a sucker for value for money in the world of hi end audio.
The performance for the price is unheard for , that is the usp of this dad particularly, a similar design made by naim/Esoteric/benchmark etc brand names would be much more.

Still waiting to hear a Schiit Gungnir in the Delhi/NCR region... Had heard the Schiit Modi in Feb this year at a DAC shootout and was very impressed with the sound even though it played only DSD...It seems nobody in the Delhi region has the Gungnir...Still waiting to hear it...

Hi Vivek, I did read about that but again cannot reach a conclusion without hearing...For almost a year, I was contemplating on buying the Gungnir but then bought another DAC due to inability to audition..

Your signature shows an LM and a Mytek DAC...which do you think is better? I also wanted to know how you are able to drive the Compact 7 with the Leben 300..Tried the Leben in my setup but it lacked power although the sound was simply gorgeous....The Leben 600 was out of my reach..Do PM me your observations..

Hi Panditji, no privilege to mail, so perhaps if you mail me I can respond. Or if I find a thread for Harbeth, I can add on. You and I can try make the search easier for other Harbeth owners!

So that I contribute to this thread - in the dacs I would like to listen to, apart from the one that this thread is about, would be the Metrum (Musette) and your own Chord 2qute. In the same breath, people talk about Aqua La Scala too - I wish there were threads equally about long-term reliability of these DACs too.

Also, Sidvee in his really nice coverage of Whathifi show also talked about a homegrown company called Invention Audio who had an R2R dac. That may be a sleeper hit too - hope to listen to it someday.

Hi Nikhil, would still urge you to read the headmania.org review. Think it provides a neat balanced perspective (in my opinion) and music listened to across genre.

The comparison is between a 6999 $ dac and a 2299 $ !! Also the review is very " audiophile ".. Breaking the sound into bass, treble, soundstage, details etc..

Would like to see comparisons against under 4000 $ Dacs for meaningful insights. Also reviews done in a different perspective.

Fair point! No quibbles there with your view, but here's what I like about this reviewer.

While this reviewer breaks it up into audiophile terms, his enjoyment of music when it comes to individual pieces. Note his comparison with the ancient Theta Dac as well.

Consistency in references across products is what I like about his reviews. You are not left wondering "but how does it sound with strings and violins?"

Also, the MSB seems his DAC and his reference, and so it is natural he compares against it. He does add "Letting the comparison to Msb Analog Dac aside, Schiit Yggdrasil is a great dac with excellent price / performance ratio."

It appears a giant killer perhaps, its only the size of the giant we are pondering about! Bring it on versus Metrum Pavane, Chord Hugo TT, someone!

Hi Panditji, no privilege to mail, so perhaps if you mail me I can respond. Or if I find a thread for Harbeth, I can add on. You and I can try make the search easier for other Harbeth owners!

So that I contribute to this thread - in the dacs I would like to listen to, apart from the one that this thread is about, would be the Metrum (Musette) and your own Chord 2qute. In the same breath, people talk about Aqua La Scala too - I wish there were threads equally about long-term reliability of these DACs too.

Also, Sidvee in his really nice coverage of Whathifi show also talked about a homegrown company called Invention Audio who had an R2R dac. That may be a sleeper hit too - hope to listen to it someday.

Vivek, I don't know anyone in the Delhi/NCR region with a Gungnir leave alone brands like Metrum and Aqua that you mention...We did a small DAC shootout in February and that opened my eyes to the differences in DACs as earlier I thought they all should sound the same...Would be nice if people chip in with their DACs and would be even more fun if they could compare with other DACs and post the results...

Sorry, FMs, don't mean to hijack this thread, but will just post this one for Panditji as I cannot still send out messages (don't have enough posts).

Line Magnetic 502CA Digital Analog Converter Review

How many of you are OK with leaving the Yggdrasil on all the time. Bombay's power situation is good, but the environmental consciousness in me does protest, albeit a wee bit.

Lots of posts emerging on Computer Audiophile, including on Gungnir Multibit. Interesting as opposed to Headfi, people are changing from other DACs (in head, I got the feeling that lots were upgrading from junior Schiit models, though I may be wrong).

Nikhil, are you going to pull the plug and go for it?!!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back